FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Unburying emotions (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/8031-unburying-emotions.html)

JaimeMWS 08-09-2012 06:30 AM

Unburying emotions

It seems like when I start to lose weight and get fit, at first I am carried by excitement. There are these positive changes in energy. Then I hit some kind of psychological wall of resistance to further change. And there are feelings of sadness that are surfacing. I don't know if this is physiological resistance, or if the emotions that I have kept "stuffed under" with my sugar/carb addiction are starting to surface.

Have others experienced this?

judipurple 08-09-2012 01:17 PM

Hi Jaime - yes, I can say that what you describe is possible - after all, I know when I would binge on the carby junky stuff, the effect was like a child sucking her thumb - self-comfort...but then we took that form of comfort away, and the feelings that the junk food influx buried/numbed/hid is there - in all its uncomfortable glory. Now it's gotta be faced and dealt with...in a healthy manner. How that happens , I'm still working on ;)

frenchhen3 08-10-2012 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS (Post 87217)
It seems like when I start to lose weight and get fit, at first I am carried by excitement. There are these positive changes in energy. Then I hit some kind of psychological wall of resistance to further change. And there are feelings of sadness that are surfacing. I don't know if this is physiological resistance, or if the emotions that I have kept "stuffed under" with my sugar/carb addiction are starting to surface.

Have others experienced this?

Yes, I hit that place about 20 pounds ago. I had to work it out. I worked it out with, what for me at the time, was a huge fitness goal. It wasn't grueling, I merely walked 100 fitness miles in 45 days. And during those walks I walked alone, no headphones, just me and me... and I sorted through all my mental garbage. I talked to myself, sometimes, even out loud. And I got through my hang-ups. I imagine therapy would have done the same but it didn't burn as many calories... :)

JaimeMWS 08-11-2012 05:11 AM

great idea

thanks, both of you, for sharing

morph32 08-13-2012 10:38 AM

I can identify with everything. I lost over a hundred pounds and now have put weight back on. I notice that old habits of eating and lounging have come back even after two years really trying. I just moved to a new place and stopped jogging and working out and pigged out to soothe myself but now all I feel is disgusted. So over the weekend I decided to log in here and track my food, get a jump start and hold myself accountable. I have to do something and quit just wishing things will change.