Notices

Eating out

Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Eating out

I eat out at least 2 times a week with friends or my husband. I now take forever to decide what to eat, I cant always go online to look at the resturant menu because we don't always know where we are going to go. So, i take my time and look over the menu which means the people with me have to wait on me to order. Sometimes the waiters ask about an appetiter, which I always say no,but then whoever is with me won't get one either. So I wonder if my dieting is hendering my relationships.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

I feel for you. I have lunches with people from work and friends (or catered stuff brought in) probably about 6 times a month, and that doesn't include going out to eat with family occasionally.

First off, whether or not you get an appetizer should have nothing to do with whether or not your companion gets one. If they are insecure about eating an appetizer alone for some reason, that should be their issue, not yours. Same for having to wait to order. There are no rules that say you have to put your order in within a certain time period. It sounds like you are trying to decide whether to make it better for yourself or for them, but ask yourself who you are trying to take care of here. A lot of us ended up in the state we're in because we didn't put ourselves first sometimes.

One way I deal with the food choice issue is to try to look things up ahead of time. I know you said you don't always know where you'll go, but is it always new places? Over a couple years, I've amassed a collection of "go to" orders in most places we could possibly go. True, I don't always know the first time I go, but when I get home, I look it up online and know for the next time what I can order. Sometimes I just cruise menus / nutrition info of places we MIGHT go, and sometimes I suggest the place, or suggest three or four and ask which my companion would prefer.

Good luck; I know it feels like a juggling act sometimes. It will get easier.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your response, you had some great points and ideas. I will remember these for friday when I have dinner with my hubsand. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

You could keep a cheat sheet with you for those occasions when you're not sure where you're going. If you have one of those fancy phones you might even keep it in a file on there somewhere or send a text message to yourself somehow with what to order where or even keep it in a little notebook in your purse about order this at that restaurant.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
FitDay Member

I second Ruby's suggestion of using a smartphone (if you have one) to look things up. I eat out with my parents A LOT, because they hate cooking. Not only does it take me forever to order, depending on where we go and if it's a new restaurant to me, but I NEVER make the decision of an appetizer or not. While I don't want the app, who am I to make a decision for the table?

I've also learned that most major chains have nutritional information available to you at the restaurant. If you have to wait for a table, why not ask the hostess if there is any information you can look over. I've also noticed that a lot of chain restaurants will at least have the calorie counts on the menu itself, it's not ideal if you're managing micros but it will give you a base line of your calorie limitations if nothing else. I've been to two big chains and have asked for nutritional info and the waiter/ress actually printed me out a copy of everything on the menu. Mom and Pop restaurants are my trickiest places to go, it's a crap shoot a lot of the time. I keep a little note of what I've eaten and then log it the best I can when I get home. If I'm unsure of something I've eaten I'll "build it" in my log. Meaning I'll break it down ingredient by ingredient and log those individually, making sure to always guesstimate on the high side just to be on the safe side. If I don't know if "fat was added in cooking" I'll always assume it was.

I've also become "the picky patron". I'll ask how something is cooked if I'm unsure. I'll ask what it's cooked in. I ask if they can not grill the chicken in butter (called grilling dry), etc etc. Those little things add up. If a restaurant is unable to accommidate you, do you really want to continue eating there?

One last thought, cheat every once in a while. It'll keep you sane and you won't feel deprived while enjoying an evening out with family or friends. The foreboding appetizer? Eat ONE bite of it, but not half the app itself LOL! My parents' favorite restaurant is Outback. They LOVE LOVE LOVE the cheese fries. I would never make them feel as if they couldn't order the app just because I'm at the table. I'll nibble on a fry or two, but that's it (most of the time ).

When you have some free time, browse some menus online and build a little "database" of your own in your Custom Foods. It'll save time later when you've hit one of those restaurants.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

There are some standard dishes that are offered by a lot of restaurants. Depending on your eating program, one or more might work for you. For example, Caesar Salad with chicken or seafood is offered by many mid-market restaurants (in my geographic area, anyway.) You can ask for no croutons if you are restricting carbs, and for the dressing on the side if you are limiting fat and calories. Having a couple of meals that you know you can often find that fit in your diet can make dining out easier.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Just Ask =)

I'm a server at UNO Chicago Grill. We are known for our fattening pizza and the infamous "pizza skins". However, we have healthy options and are well versed on which ones are healthier. not only that but we can alter most of the food too. I hear from my guest all the time, "no butter on the mashed, no seasoning on the fries, no cheese, whole wheat penne instead, etc". we also have a kiosk out front that supplies people the information. If I am aware of their nutritional concerns I don't rush them and invite them to look at the kiosk and give them suggestions. Don't be afraid to adjust entrees!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback from your perspective, sodanol, and welcome to FitDay .
Old 12-16-2017, 01:09 PM
FitDay Member

I have the same issue
Old 01-03-2022, 12:24 AM
FitDay Member

Nowadays, people prefer fast food or other restaurant food to eat. To accomplish the requirements of people, there are many restaurants in every city. I will suggest you to Harry's Beach Bistro which is the Best Restaurants in Esplanade. This restaurant offer veg and non-veg food. You can order also because they provide all the delivery facilities.