Notices

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
FitDay Member

Ok, so posting a little late because yesterday I just didn't want to talk about it.
Most of my goals were not met yesterday, I ate somewhere over 2000 calories and probably a bucket load of salt, I was grumpy and grouchy with everyone around me and I was pretty close to chucking it all in. I am not sure what happened, I was tired and not myself from the moment I got up.
One positive is that even though I felt myself go into 'binge mode' I ate a quarter chicken and chips and two dim sims and a coke. This is not fantastic as that makes over 1300cal in one hit... but I didn't stand in the cupboard systematically eating through everything I could get my hands on. Once I had eaten this I stopped, drank water and went to bed.
I had thought I had the impulse to binge under control but it is obviously still lurking. It is almost always preceded by moodiness that is not fair on my family, unfortunately the guilt after I have done it doesn't make me any easier to live with.

But today is another day and I am doing much better, I am being careful not to let myself get too hungry and I am choosing good foods that give me nourishment not short term pleasure..

Mern - thank-you so much for mentioning the low carb pasta. I found a version tucked away in the tiny health food section in our local supermarket. I can't wait to try it out. Pasta is something I miss a lot and this will really help.

Hopefully tonight's post will be more positive.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Bad fibro flare. I am getting electric shocks all over my body. DH suggested taking more of my basic fibro med and I'm thinking maybe tighten up on the diet. Getting some sleep would help. man, it's the weirdest feeling like I'm being electrocuted. Plus tingling and numbness in my hands and feet and a lot of weird skin and other issues.
Hope, I'm so sorry to hear that you are still suffering. I get those electric shocks too only I did not know that they are fibro related. When I get them it's usually in the neck and lower back, but at the same time, like two points of a taser (at least I imagine that's what a taser feels like, LOL). Luckily have not had them for a couple of months now... feel better soon!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by judipurple
Female type question: Has anyone here gone through menopause yet? I am in peri-mentalpause (I guess - no ins, so haven't seen a Dr. in several years), and some months (not many) skip menstruation. Of all that getting my period entails in the misery department, one "good" thing - the "whoosh" of the scale at the end of it. I would usually lose at least the water retention and a little bit more as an 'added bonus' (right.). When the periods end, am I correct in assuming that the water retention and subsequent loss will end? I think this might be one of those 'skipped' months, and I will admit to a small feeling of disappointment - silly, I know. But, any loss is a good loss!
I went through menopause quite early - I had a lot of 'female' problems and had both tubes and one ovary removed when I was 34. The remaining ovary shut down a couple of years later. I seem to recall experiencing feeling bloated and other PMS-ish symptoms on a monthly basis for some time after Aunt Flo stopped visiting. I did go on HRT due to my age (HRT is supposed to aid against bone loss) and also because I had a lot of hot flashes, hair loss, and other issues that the HRT really helped reduce. I've been off HRT now for about 8 years but still get the hot flashes (sigh).
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone,

I've been on the computer all evening visiting various low-carb sites and reading about blood sugar and glucose and learning a lot. I've eaten way too much today and my carbs are up around 50, not including the 3 Werther's originals I ate at work today because my blood sugar was low (yeah, that fixed it, half an hour later my BS was 9.6!!!) Not happy with myself and I know I'll probably be up tomorrow, but still determined to make it work.

I'm not missing the bread too much, or pasta, and I've found a rice that I can have occasionally, but I miss my berries and yogurt. I have to find a way to have them occasionally without them causing carb cravings or stalling my weight loss, since I'm having enough trouble losing. I also think I might have to reduce my calories a little more. I'm going to do a lot of food prep and planning this weekend and hope for better results next week!

I will post my (dismal) numbers tomorrow!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

I've had a really unfocused week, diet-wise. I'm kind of disappointing myself at how I haven't been able to regain my discipline since coming home last weekend. I'm not blowing all of my goals, just most of them. And here it is, the weekend again. Thinking about just throwing in the towel until Monday and then going at it, full-force.

Had a wonderful, surprise in the mail today... a totally unexpected, long-shot of a scholarship (3 awarded in the nation) came through, which was incredible news. It was especially nice because a smaller one that we had fully counted on, fell through the day before. That brings her number, lucky or unlucky, to 13. I guess it's true... when one door shuts, another just may open.

Thursday:

1. Calories between 1000-1200. 1103, ? ,1167, 1433
2. 80-90 oz. of liquid a day. No, Yes, No, Yes
3. Walk daily! (Stop making excuses!) No, No Time, Raining, Raining
4. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
5. Remember all vitamins and supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Just now getting around to logging and posting with mixed results. Yesterday was not good; I got notification of a deposition for the Case From Hell I had back in May and for some reason couldn't think of another way to deal with that stress than to eat frozen yogurt and tortilla chips (not together). And then because my husband is out of town this week on business, I had not only a home office crisis but an irrigation system crisis and a minor car crisis, and there was also a did-I-really-knock-nail-polish-onto-my-two-week-old-carpet crisis.

However, today has been a dream, both in terms of smooth sailing, working mostly at home, and having time to catch up on the household stuff, not to mention some good laughs with the boy. Eating's been very clean today and hubby is home tomorrow .

April, congratulations on such a big milestone! You are an inspiration to many people here and I'm glad things are gelling for you these days.

Hope, so sorry you have a flare-up. And even so, you managed to walk the line between mean and pointed. Wishing you a better day tomorrow, sweetie.

nichaleh, we've all been where you were yesterday. As a matter of fact, I was there yesterday also . Best thing is to just pick up and move on; what's done is done. Venting and thinking it through here is often helpful.

Wish I had more time to catch up, but I'm going to take advantage of my uncharacteristically early sleepiness and get some rest as soon as I catch up my goals.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quinn...great news on the scholarship! Every bit helps!!
I swear, when I saw that AP score, I saw a dollar sign instead of a number.

1. Calories below 1300. Yes Possibly No Yes
2. Balance pie chart and follow my rules. Yes Yes No Yes
3. Drink 2 blue bottles or 3 clear bottles of water daily. Yes Yes No No
4. Log everything and post daily. Yes Yes No Yes
5. Eat clean. Yes Fair No Yes
6. 3-4 fruits and veggies per day (I'm stealing ). Yes Yes Yes Yes
7. Take all vitamins and supplements. Yes Yes No Yes
8. Sleep 7 hours, at least, per night. Not even close! Yes Yes No, but I had a kitten in my face
9. Exercise 6 hours total this week. 75 min. 60 min. 45 min.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Quinn...great news on the scholarship! Every bit helps!!
I swear, when I saw that AP score, I saw a dollar sign instead of a number.
That's right! The best advice that we were ever given was to apply for EVERYTHING! (Even the longest of long shots.) Even if it doesn't even seem to fit your career objectives, apply anyway. Ones that I thought were sure bets were not and ones that I thought had no chance hit. You just never know. This company is already offering her projects and experimentation assistance in college and has offered to talk to her about employment! Yea! Employment! Also said that she may be asked to fly to the east coast to get her award (their expense). Hope parents are included!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
That's my very favorite kind of trip! Husband and I do things like that all the time... When we get to a location, we check with locals that we can trust and get out of the "touristy" places. In Mexico, we would venture a little too far, but that's a whole 'nuther story! lol By making friends with the resort owners, etc., they would take us to local hang-outs that were so incredibly fun. I am still in contact with many of them by email, etc. We did things like have drunken golf cart races at 3 a.m. and help baby sea turtles get to the ocean at sunrise. They just don't show you that kind of stuff in brochures! lol
Wow, it's wonderful to be such free spirits. Getting out of the touristy places certain was worth the effort!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Thursday's Numbers:
Calories: 2,001 (Steak for supper and DH's birthday cake - ouch!) Fat: 129.5g
Carbs: 79.4g Protein: 135.2g

Actually, I am surprised the carbs weren't higher after that ice cream cake!

Other goals for the week: Walked Sunday twice, then Tues, Thurs, today. Didn't meditate every day, but most days had at least some mindful breathing. Kept the temper (and the comments) in check for the majority of the week, but will admit to going off on DH during our counseling session. It wasn't totally 'evil bitch' mode, tried to keep it sane and constructive. The session ended on an up note, which is better than other times.

The summer projects continue - the garden is producing plenty of beans, lettuce, cukes and basil. Planted the fall crop of sugar snap peas and kale. Made up 2 1/2 gallons tomato sauce ( I used store bought canned tomatoes), put up 8 quart jars and froze two quart containers. My tomato plants are getting decent sized, and starting to show some fruit (finally!!). I might be unemployed for the summer, but I keep busy!

nichaleh, just wanted to say WELCOME!!! And great control on the binge - the subsequent binge 'hangover' tends to keep me deep in it, making it that much harder to break free of it. Your awareness and inner strength combined to keep control.

Hope and Cate - fibro sounds difficult and awful to live with - here's hoping diet and meds keep you comfortable.

Cassie - I had to laugh - the kittie in the face while trying to sleep happens here quite often - more to my husband more than me, tho - one of the cats like to wake him by sticking his snout into Dh's nostril.

Quinn, kudos on the scholarship news - one less thing to worry about!

Mern & Cate - thanks for the info on menopause... I get a little confused, 'cause my younger sister just got the word she is 'officially' in menopause (she's younger by 18 months. But still...) - she stopped more than 6 months ago (lucky so-and-so). I feel, Mern, that it isn't something that needs to monitored by a doctor - I, too, will likely try the soy/homeopathic path. Just kinda gonna miss the monthly 'whoosh'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.