Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
The July 4th 7-Day Motivational Thread 07/02/12-07/08/12 >

The July 4th 7-Day Motivational Thread 07/02/12-07/08/12

Community
Notices

The July 4th 7-Day Motivational Thread 07/02/12-07/08/12

Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Nobe, sending huge cyberhugs and prayers your way.

Tori, hang on tight to the wagon!

Cassie, just jump back into the wagon with us today.

April, when I'm at a new pounds+/- spot it's usually a good clue that I'm truly almost at the - spot. I sweat to my aerobic walking DVD in my A/C living room with the ceiling fan on. But being only 5 feet tall and about 215 lbs. has a lot to do with that, I guess. You're working hard on your health and fitness goals. Congrats on that!

Quinn, it's wonderful that your children are so successful.

Mike, glad you had fun at the drag strip.

Plenty leftovers in the fridge, so I'm just cooking myself fish for dinner and DH can have the leftover pork chop. Today is my scheduled day off exercise.

Last edited by Mern; 07-05-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sugar free tomato jam/preserves

Does anyone have a sugar free tomato jam or tomato preserves recipe that you know actually works? I've seen some using artificial sweetener, but some other people say when you use artificial sweetener with tomatoes the jam or preserves don't set.

I've seen it can be purchased online, but I want to can some if we have a large tomato yield from the garden.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Mern. I'll have to remember your kind words when I want to kill one of them... which will probably be by late afternoon!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

) plan food: no which is why I failed at goal 11, yes, yes
2) 5 fruits and veggies: yes, no, no unless peach cobbler and rhubarb pie are considered as fruits
3) stretch daily: yes, yes, yes
4) one hour writing 5x week: more, no, no
5) 500 words of "real" writing or serious editing: more, no, no
6) not feeling well with fibro but try to do some form of exercise 3x this week even if it's only in the house": home routine, no, no
7) try not to drink on July 4th (fibro again) ummmmm 2 vodka gimlets and a beer but they worked medicinally beleive it or not
8) be kind, especially to DH who has been taking a lot of ca-ca from me lately: Yes, yes, yes eventually
9) water, 8 glasses, come on: 6, 8, ?
10) get in touch with at least one "neglected" friend this week: Rosemarie, Louise
11) no more than 1650 calories with possible exception of July 4th but try to plan, even then: 1689, 1240, 1846
12) avoid sugar except possibly 7/4: may have been some in soup and in sauce on store bought chicken but avoided egregious sugar, just what was on my fingers from baking and OK maybe a bite. 7/4 could not avoid desserts could not
13) post something good about every day (stole this from Cassie but love it): M) DD has some very fun new friends (as well as a few good "older" ones and they have been hanging out at our house. Plus I did work today and didn't get totally discouraged by setbacks. T) Made fabulous cookies and brownies and didn't eat any. Really enjoyed watching Downton Abbey. W) great day with friends, made it to the parade, went from feeling awful like I could even move or eat to feeling wonderful (and more than made up the eating...and drinking.)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Thanks Mern. I'll have to remember your kind words when I want to kill one of them... which will probably be by late afternoon!

Hope, glad you got out and enjoyed yourself yesterday. You may have been joking, but I do count fruit in whatever form--I even counted half a serving of fruit (I added fresh peaches) in my sugar free Jello yesterday. I count 1/3 to 1/2 serving of veggies for the fresh spinach on my almost-daily lunch wraps--I usually can just eyeball that instead of weighing it. I figure it all adds up, especially when I'm trying to do several small meals instead of three larger ones. I also count my decaf iced tea and occasional Crystal Light lemonade as water since a nurse told me one's body doesn't care where the water comes from or if it's clear or not.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Well, I answered my own question. I puttered around in the kitchen and came up with my own sugar free tomato preserves recipe and I like the seasonings I came up with on the first try. I went from the memory of the seasonings in an old friend's full sugar recipe. (He's now deceased so I couldn't ask him.)

Sugar free tomato preserves
makes about 6 tablespoons

Important note: if using a sweetener that is not heat stable--such as Equal-- add at the end of cooking to retain full sweetening power and prevent bitterness.

Ingredients:

one cup well drained crushed tomatoes (I used home canned)
1/8 teaspoon each ground mild chili powder, cumin, ginger, allspice and cinnamon
1 packet (equivalent sweetening of 2 teaspoons sugar) artificial sweetener

Directions:

1. Drain tomatoes well and cook in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until very little liquid remains and tomatoes are the consistency of a jam or fruit preserves.
2. Remove from heat
3. Either combine well the spices and sweetener in a separate bowl and add to the tomatoes, stirring well to combine OR simply add the spices and sweetener one at a time, stirring well after each addition.

Cool and store in a small covered container in the fridge

Nutrition counts per tablespoon using home canned tomatoes as I did
Calories 15
Total fat .05g
Saturated fat .02g
Polyunsaturated fat .02g
Total carbohydrates 2.9g
Fiber .75g
Net carbohydrates 2.15g
Protein .75g
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

Missed Tuesday and Wednesday and not going back, but did pretty well those days.

1) 1600 calories or less - 1403, 1651
2) move - not much, out walking most of the day
3) 64oz water + - 64oz+, not enough
4) 20% protein - 22%, 20%
5) vitamins - yes, yes

6) post one good thing that happened every day - we have peas on our pea plants!, took the kiddo to the petting zoo with our friend and played with goats
Old 07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all your thoughts on video games, guys! It's something I've never had to deal with before.

Hope - I never got back to you on the writing. That's awesome! It sounds really rewarding. I've been writing off and on for most of my life (fiction and poetry mostly). I never had the guts to take writing in school so I got an English degree, but there was a heck of a lot of writing there too. It feels so good to read over something you've written and know it's good. I really want to get back into it, but I never seem to find the time (and by "time" I mean "energy and drive").

Mern - what is tomato jam used for? Sounds interesting.

Mike - I've skimmed over "drag strip" a couple times now and each time I think "what kind of kink is this guy into? Haha.

Cassie - the kids saw a child psychologist (court ordered) twice the year before last. The first time they were on their own, and the second time they'd been coached by their mother, who was sitting beside them. We saw the transcripts and the opinion of the psych. What she decided was that there was nothing wrong with the kids except that we were mean for making them do chores, and they shouldn't spend too much time with us. $1,000 well spent!

Sorry if I missed anyone...I've fallen behind. Again.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
FitDay Member

Thursday Report

Calorie limit 1500 1270, 1378, 1729, close enough at 1513
Sat fat limit average 11% of total calories 6%, 12%, 14%, 15% gives me an average of almost 12% so far
Cholesterol limit average 250mg 171mg, 218mg, 185mg, 296mg but still gives me an average of 218mg so far
Protein average 120g 131g, 131g again, 147g, 153g
Carbs less fiber limit 25g close enough at 25.2g, 23g, 32.8g, 25.8g
Fiber minimum 25g 45g, 41g, 53g, 34g
Water 64 oz. YES, YES, YES, YES
Exercise 5 days YES, YES, YES, scheduled day off
Healthful evening snack:
M: almond butter stuffed celery and cooked spinach
T: a tablespoon of Naturally More Peanut Butter (licked off the spoon) and a protein shake with flaxmeal
W: lean pork chop, sugar free lemonade with flaxmeal
TH: swai fish, banana protein shake with flaxmeal

Nobe, really nice job on your goals so far this week. Tomato jam/preserves can be used as any fruit jam/preserves--many eat it on buttered toast, bagels, English muffins. I'll use it to top flaxmeal pancakes or use it as a spread with fat free cream cheese on a low carb tortilla. Some people add vinegar and use it as a sort of sweet barbecue sauce on hamburgers or grilled chicken.

Last edited by Mern; 07-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
FitDay Member

Good morning, everyone.

Weather forecast for my area today is sunny and 101 degrees, only a 20% chance of rain. Tomorrow sunny, 103 degrees, and a 10% chance of rain. But I guess it's better living here with air conditioning than living in Antarctica with no heat, eh? How's THAT for finding something wonderful to post about?

My scale is going down--that's wonderful--but I'm just losing weight I regained when I was away from our group for several weeks. Still, it's progress and I'm headed in the right direction.

I was thinking back about the "something wonderful" posts and it may have been Fit4Luv who first did that here. I miss her!

Fit4Luv, if you're lurking, I hope you are well and happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.