FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Any other ladies out there with PCOS? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7614-any-other-ladies-out-there-pcos.html)

ToriD1012 06-09-2012 08:57 AM

Any other ladies out there with PCOS?

Okay ladies.....I need some questions answered. While I tend to read up on pretty much every "syndrome" and "disease" I'm diagnosed with (currently just PCOS and Graves Disease, who knows though I seem to find something else wrong with me on a daily basis) I haven't read up on PCOS.

Some background first. I was diagnosed at 16, put one some birth control to alleviate the lack of periods, but that was basically it. At 16 you hear that you have a "syndrome" and you're like 'Oh well, it doesn't really affect my every day life so who gives a rat's patootie about it'. I know the basic symptoms and effects, and I know that weight plays a huge role in it. During my adult life I've always struggled with my weight. The ONE time I managed to get below 200lbs (before now) was because of the stupid whacky thyroid and diagnosis of G'sD. I never really paid much attention to my lack of TOTM cause well, it wasn't a headache I had ever really dealt with on a monthly basis always having been "big" (hahaha, my favorite word other than fat). Well, low and behold, I drop below 200 and my TOTM appeared on a monthly basis. I didn't really deal with the G'sD like I should have and I got fat again (cause that's just what happens). I got fat again and TOTM disappeared.

Cut to 4 1/2 years later, here I am under 200 again (WoOtWoOt!! but by my own doing this time). Guess who makes her triumphant return on a 28-35 day regularity again? Yup, good ole Aunt Flo. I've never really had to deal with everything that's associated with TOTM, 'cause not ovulating on a regular basis my hormones were pretty much always in a constant state of chill.

This brings me to my main question....Does anyone else suffer from PCOS? And if so, did getting below a certain weight throw off your hormones because TOTM is around (like it should be)? It seems like since TOTM has starting coming on a regular basis again that I've been completely whacked out. I'm on an emotional roller coaster all month long. It doesn't just have to be when I'm technically PMSing. Yea, there's other stuff going on in my life too (those who are active or read the 7Day know some of it) but it seems like I overreact to just about everything, and will cry if someone looks at me the wrong way. It's not "me" and it's driving me up a wall. I want to get back to the old Tori that wasn't so emotional all the time, because quite frankly I'm getting on my OWN nerves. I can only imagine what the people around me on a daily basis are going through, having to deal with me. But thank God they overlook most of it and they talk me down from my ledges when need be.

So, yeah. That's about it. Any tips, advice, or just wanna bitch some about malfunctioning ovaries....here's the place

Rubystars 06-09-2012 10:33 AM

I wish I knew what the answer was to this. I don't have any disorders that I know of, but during ovulation and immediately before and during my period I can get angry much easier than usual. I also tend to be hungrier at those times. Not sure why the hormones trigger my hunger like that. At least since I'm eating lower calorie foods than I used to, the damage is a lot less if I eat more.

ToriD1012 06-09-2012 11:19 AM

Ruby, I'm not talking normal pms....I'm talking pms on steroids! and it's not just the week before (or after)...it's ALL month long. I sometimes get hungrier, but not always

Wohali 06-09-2012 11:50 AM

The reason your hunger increases is this is a natural response around ovulation to prepare the woman's body for implantation of a fertilized egg by increasing calorie intake to support an embryo. This is normal in all women of menstruating age.

You might want to get a blood test of your hormone levels. If progesterone is low it will make you well...evil... plus cause thyroid problems, weight gain and a host of other things.

ToriD1012 06-10-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wohali (Post 83167)
You might want to get a blood test of your hormone levels. If progesterone is low it will make you well...evil... plus cause thyroid problems, weight gain and a host of other things.

I haven't been "evil", just a LOT more emotional. And I haven't had any weight gain, it's just the opposite, I'm continuing to lose weight. My thyroid is whacky on it's own. To treat the Grave's Disease I had to kill my thyroid (radioiodine treatment). I'm on a synthetic thryoid hormone, so I don't really have to worry about that. I'm just wondering if anyone out there also has PCOS. And if they have had issues after losing weight.