I would like to join this group! I am in 2nd week of Atkins induction and so far feel pretty good. No hunger pangs, no carb cravings either, which is AMAZING! I am even eating fewer calories, avg around 1300-1500/day (without starving!) Down 5 lb. so ½ way to my first mini-goal.
First major goal already met – reduce my blood sugar levels. My 3 month average was over 16, sugar starting to show up in urine so my dr. referred me to specialist as he thought I have to go on insulin (yep, that was MY ‘a-ha’ moment) The appt with endocrinologist is for July 9. Happy to say I have an appt with my reg dr this Wednesday as he gave me add'l med to try and reduce my sugar levels and I had to stop taking it bcos it was making my bs level too LOW. My readings this past week are now almost normal – in the 6.0 range! I’m hoping he’ll tell me that we can cancel the specialist.
Goals this week:
1. Drink more water – I am only averaging about 30 oz/day, not enough for initiation into pcc!
2. Start walking – Hope I am very encouraged by you. I have FM too, along with chronic pain and it is a struggle every day to move esp. since I am working full-time. I start tomorrow, even if it’s only 15 minutes it’s more than I’m doing right now!
3. Get more sleep – I normally get a good 8 hrs but the past couple of weeks have been crazy and my avg is only about 6. Need to get back on track.
4. Post my ‘before’ pics – I did get them taken this weekend, but last couple of days have been very busy, promise to post tomorrow.
April, your pics are AMAZING. You go girl!
Mike, I looked at your pics 210.4 vs 174: what I found most impressive was not just weight loss, but the overall difference in your posture. INCREDIBLE!
I am very inspired by all of you and your ability to persevere and look forward to conversing!
1. Walk daily, weather permitting. Yes
2. Calories between 1000-1200... I know it's low, but it's just for 2 weeks. Yes
3. 3-4 fruits and veggies daily. Yes
4. NO bread, cheese, frozen yogurt, etc. Think clean, clean, clean food. None
5. Loose 2-3 lbs. this week... results on Saturday.
6. 80-100 oz. of liquids a day. Yes
A really good day today... Lots of sunshine, hiking and catching up on lots of miscellaneous junk. And, most importantly, my food choices were stellar! lol
Ah, sorry for my rant earlier. I was having an attack of feeling sorry for myself. Not a terrible day, all in all (goals-wise). I got out for a walk but I'm feeling really tired so I don't think I'll be doing much else. Otherwise, not bad. I decided to add goal #8 to try to keep myself from being too snacky.
1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600) - 1491
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/gardening/Richard Simmons/stationary bike) - 1hr walking/nothing else
3) 20% protein minimum - 23%
4) 64oz water minimum - not sure; not enough
5) calorie deficit 700+ - 716
6) take vitamins - yes
7) lights out by 11 the night before - yes
8) no food after 8pm the night before - no
Start: Feb 1/12 - 203lbs
Currently: 173.5 lbs
mini goal: 168 lbs
final goal: 140lbs
Cate, welcome fellow low-carber! I was fortunate to catch my pre-diabetes (6.2 A1C average blood sugar) in time and fortunate to be able to reduce my blood sugar through diet and exercise alone. I have a wonderful doctor who also serves as my low carb dietitian. Now with normal blood sugar (5.6 A1C) I continue my lifestyle of a limit of 25 grams of net carbs per day: total grams of carbs less grams of fiber. My food list is a combination of Atkins and Carbohydrate Addicts LifeSpan Program. I'm so sorry that you have fibro like a few of our members have. My heart goes out to all of you. We have something else in common--I'm five foot nothing, too. Best wishes on your exercise--baby steps worked for me-- you can add more exercise as you and your doctor decide. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Nobe, aw, huge hugs to you! My DH never seemed to get it when I was sick either, so I understand where you're coming from. I hope you do manage to not deal with it by overeating. It'll just make you feel worse in the long run. Not that I haven't done it, but I regretted it.
Cassie, I hope you can get some good sleep soon!
April, maybe live-in GD's car will bring her and and her younger sister closer together. They're as different as night and day, so it was nice to see them share that first drive today. Kudos on your fresh veggies--laden with vitamins, low calorie, and they can add such variety to our menu.
I never did catch up with last week's thread. I haven't forgotten--just have been so busy with the end of the school year stuff.
If anyone asked me a question or said something to which you expected a reply, please bring it to my attention and I'll reply ASAP. Thanks for your understanding.
I misspoke before. I said my LDL (bad cholesterol) and high triglycerides have come down quite a bit through diet and fish oil capsules, but not enough, so doc are attempting further reduction without meds. I neglected to credit my exercise which also helps bring them down.
Age 67, 5 feet tall
Highest weight ever in the fall of 2010 246 lbs.
FitDay starting weight 1/17/2011 240 lbs. Weight 12/18/2013 on my doctor's scale 231 lbs.
Weight 1/2/2014 on my new home scale 229.4
Weight 3/9/2014 225
I haven't had a chance to read everything, but did want to say welcome back to Quinn and April, been missing you two. Also a warm 7Day Welcome to Cate!
Gonna make this quick tonight cause I'm tired. I know everyone probably expects me to have something witty to say to Mike, but I don't. I wish him well this week.
Mike, whatdya say you update your progress in blue, I'll do mine in something girly (cause I get more and more girly every day...dammit) like Magenta....deal? That way we can see the side by side progress.
Tori vs. Mike Goals
1) highest % of weight lost (post beginning weight): 184.6 (again)
2) most ounces of water per day: 134.3
3) most servings of fruits/veggies (fresh, frozen, V8, doesn't matter): 3
4) least amount of bread: zero, zilch, nada
5) most miles walked: 2.05
1) find a new doctor--doing the phone thing on Wednesday
2) no smokes--check!
3) no frozen dinners (frozen lunch is okay if you are working)--all fresh today, thanks for asking
4) list something that I am grateful every day!
I haven't even had a 1000 calories today. I'm sure I'll get up during the night to go visit the ghost in the kitchen.
Tori vs. Mike Goals
1) highest % of weight lost (181.0 beginning weight)
2) most ounces of water per day 135.2 (8 bottles baby!)
3) most servings of fruits/veggies (fresh, frozen, V8, doesn't matter) 6.5
4) least amount of bread (servings) 0
5) most miles walked 0
Mike specific 1) write 3 policies 0
2) no Blasts NONE
3) 2 RAK 0