FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread 5/28/12...Holiday, Schmoliday, Let's Get it Started! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7501-7-day-motivational-thread-5-28-12-holiday-schmoliday-lets-get-started.html)

cjohnson728 05-28-2012 01:17 AM

7-Day Motivational Thread 5/28/12...Holiday, Schmoliday, Let's Get it Started!

(By no means am I trivializing Memorial Day...I am proud to call many family and friends veterans, and may we never forget their sacrifices and service. I salute you all).

However, I do need to smack down the "oh, one more day, let's just start tomorrow" mentality, so I'm putting my goals up today and anyone can join today, tomorrow, or whenever works.

1. Calories 1300 or fewer.
2. Exercise 6 hours.
3. Be a member of the "PCC".
4. Log everything.
5. Sleep 7 hours.
6. Follow my pie chart rules.

Got two steno books going with work and home goals, so I'll leave them off here for now :), with the exception of:

7. Finish the first Report from Hell on Monday

and any others I may need to have a specific kick in the pants for throughout the week.

Let's make it a good one, everyone :D!

01gt4.6 05-28-2012 01:34 AM

I guess I'm in. :o

Mern 05-28-2012 01:46 AM

Cassie, I'm with you. I want to start my week on plan today, even though it's a holiday. No cookouts or BBQs to tempt me--counting my blessings on that.

I have many friends and relatives in the military--past and present. Among the many, my Uncle Pat was killed in the Korean war, leaving a wife and three young sons ages about 3 to 8. My father served in WWII, his father in WWI, and DH in peace time on a missile base in Alaska.

For our non-USA members, on Memorial Day (last Monday in May) we honor all who served in the military, especially those who gave their lives to keep us free.

My scale started to move nicely. I'm down another half pound from yesterday. What got it moving again last week was bumping up the intensity of my exercise and bumping my protein back up from a target of 100g per day to 120g.

Goals this week:

Calorie limit 1500
Saturated fat average 10% of total calories
Dietary cholesterol average 250mg
Net carbs (carbs less fiber) 25g
Fiber average 25g
Protein minimum 120g
Exercise 5 days a week
Water 64. oz.

canary52 05-28-2012 02:35 AM

Cassie, thanks for starting us. What is PCC?

Mern, so glad your scale is moving in the right direction. At 139, I feel like I am back at the drawing board - yet again. Had a fun but very indulgent weekend in Vermont (Burlington is a great town) and ate like crazy at my friend's wedding. I feel like a big fat bloated cow.

Goals:
1) plan meals- 2)1650 calories MAX
3) eat outside when I can
4) 8 glasses of water
5) strrretch _
6) gym or walk (even short amounts) 3x
7) write whatever (journal, free writing) 1 hour per day
8) 500 words "real" writing 5x this week
6) see acupuncturist for my back
7) book tix for Fla
9) fill out insurance forms
10) book appointment for DD shot/college health
11) book appointment for Ginger
12) meditate
13) stop thinking I am the worst parent in the world
14) be present

Lotta goals; feeling discouraged but I gotta try

ToriD1012 05-28-2012 02:38 AM

I'm in. Mike, you making my goals again this week???

cjohnson728 05-28-2012 02:45 AM

Hope.

Sweetie, I can tell by all your posting throughout the years that you are decidedly NOT the worst parent in the world. I see you as a loving, caring, common-sense, holding-tough parent who is sometimes frustrated (as we all are) but doing an absolute bang-up job holding true to what you believe about what is best for your children regardless of how much grief you get. Everything you do is motivated by care and concern and that, my friend, is good parenting in my book.

Oh, and PCC is "pee clear club," another way of saying drink enough water!

01gt4.6 05-28-2012 02:47 AM

I had a crappy week, as far as making my goals but I did drop 2.8 pounds. I hope I don't have a huge rebound. I'm back down to 182.0

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 82131)
I'm in. Mike, you making my goals again this week???

Yes I am, they are below!

Goals
1: log everything
2: 100oz of water a day
3: calories 1200-1500
4: walk 8 miles
5: .8% challenge
6: no killing people from work
7: no crying, no panicking, no drama queen & be nice to whatshisname
8: do hair and makeup (5 days)
9: no cigarettes, not even a drag
10: clean car

Tunnrida 05-28-2012 03:27 AM

finally I lost some weight !
=)

nobe 05-28-2012 03:37 AM

I'm in. Same goals as always. Hopefully I'll do better with them than I did last week.

1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600)
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/gardening/Richard Simmons/stationary bike)
3) 20% protein minimum
4) 64oz water minimum
5) calorie deficit 700+
6) take vitamins
7) lights out by 11 the night before

Mern 05-28-2012 03:56 AM

Hope, thanks for your encouragement on my scale finally moving again. I see by the mini goals in your signature that your goal of 128 by 8/31 is quite doable! I'd like to be under 200 lbs. by then, so I've got like 14.5 lbs. to lose compared with your 11. Come on--we can do it. :) I visited Burlington, Vermont in 1989. Such a peaceful and pretty place. I totally agree with Cassie. Parenting is so hard and it's certainly not a popularity contest. The best parents are the ones who stick to their convictions on what is right for their children even when they know their kids will detest them for it. My daughter and I went through horrible times together--we are now best friends. Your bonus/payoff comes later when you witness your kids putting to use in their own lives, and that of their children, valuable life lessons they learned from YOU. Your day will come, Hope. Big hug to ya.

Mike, you must have done something right to lose 2.8 lbs. Don't be so hard on yourself! :)

Tunnrida, congrats on your weight loss! :D

Mern 05-28-2012 03:58 AM

Nobe, you've been meeting your mini goals. I'll bet you will make the next one, too, despite your not being happy with how you did this past week. :)

nobe 05-28-2012 04:34 AM

Is Memorial Day a sombre holiday? I keep seeing things for Memorial Day sales, or "Lose 15 pounds by Memorial Day!" on magazines, or things about Memorial Day BBQs. We have Remembrance Day in November, but it's pretty serious, almost like a funeral.

My granddad was some mucky-muck in WWII, and my dad's brother died in Korea. I didn't know either of them, though. I actually don't think I've ever known anyone who's gone to war. I have family that is/was in the military, but more in office-type jobs. Canada doesn't really get too involved with wars anyway, beyond peacekeeping.

Mern - thanks :) I think I'm just feeling down about still trying to get that 5 pounds off. I don't want to be up on my weigh-in day. At this point I'll settle for not losing, but I still have two pounds to get off by Wednesday to be the same as last week. But it's a new week and a new chance to kick myself in the butt.

ToriD1012 05-28-2012 04:49 AM

nobe--Memorial Day is actually the day that was set aside to honor fallen troops. But sadly that fact gets lost on a lot of people now. I'm all for BBQs and the like, I just with more attention was paid to the actual meaning of the day. I come from a long line soldiers, sailors, and marines so maybe it means a little more to me than most. I don't do the grilling and such, because I normally have to work (it's just another day in the land of grocery retail).

nobe 05-28-2012 04:54 AM

Yeah, I had to work every holiday but Christmas when I was in retail. I didn't mind most of them, because it meant time and a half and an extra day off later.

I'm actually surprised Remembrance Day hasn't been made more commercial. Seems like they'll use any excuse to get people to buy stuff. Maybe because it's in November and is usually raining.

canary52 05-28-2012 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 82132)
Hope.

Sweetie, I can tell by all your posting throughout the years that you are decidedly NOT the worst parent in the world. I see you as a loving, caring, common-sense, holding-tough parent who is sometimes frustrated (as we all are) but doing an absolute bang-up job holding true to what you believe about what is best for your children regardless of how much grief you get. Everything you do is motivated by care and concern and that, my friend, is good parenting in my book.

Oh, and PCC is "pee clear club," another way of saying drink enough water!

Thank you so much for your kindness, Cassie. I realized today that thinking I am the worst parent is not saying much for how awesome my child is and how many amazing and positive lessons she has learned, which I will not take total credit for but I do know I have tried my best to help guide her. I just had a very depressing conversation yesterday with a friend, a parent who blames himself, his GF (one of my best friends) and all the parents he sees as not being "authoritative" enough and it got to me. Also went to a wedding where there was "the model child," 16 years old, carefree, athletic, social and outgoing and many things that my child is not. But you know, my DD has come so far and while it breaks my heart that she has had such a tough time in high school and learned lessons the hard way, she IS learning and what's more, she is trying to be more positive and to deal with her problems more constructively.

Thanks for clearing up PCC, Cassie, pardon the pun. I too would like to be a member.

Mern, I was gonna clear the mini goals off my signature because I have not met them yet but you give me inspiration!! And such encouragement. I think I can meet my goals and I feel a lot better after a long walk in the woods with my friend ) the aforementioned GF who is facing challenges with her son.)

No barbeque for me today but maybe my way of honoring the troops is by feeling that none of us should give up the battle.

ToriD1012 05-28-2012 08:52 AM

Mike's Goals

1--gallon o' water
2--1% challenge
3--2K deficit (giving you a break cause you're gonna overeat today :p)
4--8 miles, gym 3 times
5--all vitamins
6--4 RAKs
7--2 policies

Tunnrida 05-28-2012 09:55 AM

Blood type 0 diet - m/y
calories intake max 1200 - m/y
exercise my routine every day - m/y
drink neem - m/n
don't eat junk food - m/y
don't drink alcohol - m/n
drink lots of water - m/y
take walks - m/y

01gt4.6 05-28-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 82161)
Mike's Goals

1--gallon o' water
2--1% challenge
3--2K deficit (giving you a break cause you're gonna overeat today :p)
4--8 miles, gym 3 times
5--all vitamins
6--4 RAKs
7--2 policies

4 RAKs? Are you trying to make me some "Mr. Nice Guy"?

canary52 05-28-2012 01:36 PM

Goals:
1) plan meals- Yes
2)1650 calories MAX- 1420
3) eat outside when I can -2 meals, too hot by dinner time
4) 8 glasses of water - 8
5) strrretch _ Yes
6) gym or walk (even short amounts) 3x- long walk in woods
7) write whatever (journal, free writing) 1 hour per day - yes
8) 500 words "real" writing 5x this week - Yes
6) see acupuncturist for my back - not yet
7) book tix for Fla -not yet
9) fill out insurance forms -not yet
10) book appointment for DD shot/college health - not yet but got dates
11) book appointment for Ginger - No
12) meditate - no
13) stop thinking I am the worst parent in the world - started out bad but then OK and back again when I see my DD unhappy and struggling (especially due to a very troubled friend she feels responsible for)
14) be present - Yes

01gt4.6 05-28-2012 01:43 PM

Hope, congrats on getting off to a strong start. What's going on with you back??

canary52 05-28-2012 01:53 PM

Thanks, Mike, I'm trying.

As for the back, I had a car accident recently and then slipped on wet tiles in the bathroom and fell in the same spot I hurt in the accident. I've been trying to move around and stretch and not depend on meds when I can avoid it. I took this incredibly long walk in the woods today (no meds at all, not even Aleve or Advil, never mind the other stuff) I was AMAZED I could do it considering how bad my back's been feeling. I'm hoping tomorrow I feel good because at the moment I'm OK. Also I went to Vermont, 5 hours in the car each way and my back was not a happy camper.

Thanks for asking!!! How have you been? How's your back been? I know you have had some chronic issues too. I don't know if you ever tried acupuncture but it really helps me. Actually I go to someone who does a combination of stuff: accupuncture, cranial sacral stuff, massage and various movements and whatever voodoo she does really helps. I have gone in bent over and a day or two after treatment have really gotten great results.

cjohnson728 05-28-2012 03:00 PM

Hope, I hope you have some relief soon.

Check in:

1. Calories 1300 or fewer. 1289
2. Exercise 6 hours. 60 min
3. Be a member of the "PCC". Yes
4. Log everything. Yes
5. Sleep 7 hours. 6
6. Follow my pie chart rules. Yes

7. Finish the first Report from Hell on Monday Still working...

HardcaorKittyGirl 05-28-2012 03:16 PM

Monday report:

Eat veganY
Reasonable portion sizesN
1 hr of exercise Y
'Me' timeY
Don't forget the waterY

So yeah, vegan week is starting for me and I'm feeling pretty good about it, so far at least. It's my moms birthday tomorrow. I'm kind if nervous about calling her because she always finds a way to insult me or my diet or my exercise regimen weather she intends to insult me or not. She's one of those people who has never stepped into a gym in her life, will eat an entire bag or chips in one sitting yet remains underweight. My plan is to keep off the topic for as much as I can;talk about her life and not mine. We'll see how it goes.

nobe 05-28-2012 03:26 PM

1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600) - 1480
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/gardening/Richard Simmons/stationary bike) - 1hr walking/weights
3) 20% protein minimum - 23%
4) 64oz water minimum - 64oz+
5) calorie deficit 700+ - 729
6) take vitamins - yes
7) lights out by 11 the night before - yes

cjohnson728 05-28-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by nobe (Post 82179)
1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600) - 1480
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/gardening/Richard Simmons/stationary bike) - 1hr walking/weights
3) 20% protein minimum - 23%
4) 64oz water minimum - 64oz+
5) calorie deficit 700+ - 729
6) take vitamins - yes
7) lights out by 11 the night before - yes

Yowza, what a day! You go, girl!

bojibridge 05-28-2012 04:35 PM

1.) Workout x3: 1ish
2.) Stay under 1500 calories/day: 1185
3.) Drink 64 oz. of water/day: 64 oz.
4.) Start studying for candidacy exam in August

Today was pretty chill. My chart wasn't uberbalanced (read: at all, pretty carbtastic) but I'll take it!.

Nice job, nobe!

canary52 05-29-2012 12:16 AM

Nobe, awesome!!!
Joanna, you didn't do too bad yourself.

Jho82 05-29-2012 01:36 AM

Hi everybody! I'm not sure whats going on with me...could be a weird combination of allergies, the weather system, trying to come off my PPD pills, the fact that hubby was a away for a week, the house NOT selling.... I don't know - last week was just crappy and I have this constant dull headache. I was sad that I couldn't log in but stayed on track. I guess I was just huddled in the corner of the wagon but I was there and as a result I am down to 160! As much as I hate weighing in I guess its just a fact of life :) Its like it calls my name from the laundry room knowing that I can't resist the curiosity! Do they have scales that talk to you cuz that would be awesome (PP!) Like a machine that kept track of your weight and if you gain than it scolds you and if you lose then it congratulates you! oh I think its going to be a long day! Ill post some goals in a bit - I want to be a little more creative than my normal goals.... tried to stay caught up but I'm sure I missed alot. I hope that everyone is doing well and good luck on your goals this week! I will log in as much as possible!

Jho82 05-29-2012 03:49 AM

I think I want to start drinking tea.... I know nothing about it but I assume its better than coffee (health wise)? Does anybody here drink tea? How do you drink it and do you add anything to it?

traceymc1985 05-29-2012 03:50 AM

Hi everyone- Firstly id like to show my respect to all the war heroes past and present.

For me im back to basics this week and trying to get back on track-its my weigh in on wednesday and telling myself that whatever the damage i will put it right. Just hoping that its not too bad but i will let you all know.

# stick to point allowance
# not to be influenced by alcohol when around others drinking- this makes me drink when i dont plan or want to.
# 3 meals a day- no snacking on the bad stuff
# drink more water
# use warm weather to my advantage- walk, trips to park, bike rides, swim
# carry on even when it gets tough- stop feeling guilty when ive gone off track! Put it behind me and start afresh
# make efforts with food preparation-make time!

01gt4.6 05-29-2012 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jho82 (Post 82219)
Does anybody here drink tea? How do you drink it and do you add anything to it?

I do, but you may not like my tea. :eek:

Mern 05-29-2012 04:34 AM

No time to chat, but I did see Jho's question:

I drink spearmint tea, decaf green tea, and decaf orange pekoe tea --hot or iced--just plain--nothing added.

Another death in the family. Yesterday my nephew was celebrating his 37th birthday. He went to visit his father (my sister's ex-husband) and found him deceased--coronor said he apparently died the day before.

I'll try to get back online tomorrow.

ToriD1012 05-29-2012 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 82224)
I do, but you may not like my tea. :eek:

she may not, but I may :eek::eek::eek:

Jho82 05-29-2012 05:45 AM

LOL...what is going on with you two! (Tori and Mike).... uuummmm Should I leave you two alone LOL

Mern - so sorry again! Sweetheart - keep strong! Thanks for the info - I should make sure that I know if the tea is decaf so thank you - that could have been disastrous!

Mondays Report - my goals are not as creative as I wanted but changed it up a little bit!

Health/Fitness/Lifestyle
1. Drink min 80oz of WATER! Y
2. PM workout - interval training - 3 days/week(at least)!! N
3. Min 72 crunches/day! N
4. 5 Pushups (straight leg)/ 10 pushups (elevated)! N
5. Drink 1 tea/day! N
6. Check in min 2x/day! N
7. Think POSITIVE! (stealing this from you Hope) N
8. Focus more on my sex life! (I won't go into details ladies but I need to do this so its officially a goal!) Y;)

Hoping all this red will push me for the rest of the week!

canary52 05-29-2012 07:02 AM

Mern, I am so sorry for yet another loss in your family, honey. And for this young man to face this on his birthday is so sad. I am sending you BIG hugs and good wishes to your family.

canary52 05-29-2012 07:07 AM

Jho, it's so good to see you back this week.

As for tea, Celestial Seasonings has some great ones. I love their Lemon Zinger (my favorite), their blueberry and also their Bengal Spice. When I am being looser with the carbs I love tea with honey. Intereting little story, a friend of mine went to college in Boulder, Colorado in the 70s. The guys who started Celestial Seasonings rode around on a bicycle handing out free homemade tea samples. My friend also met the writer Hunter S Thompson in a bar there but that's another story...

nobe 05-29-2012 09:44 AM

Mern - so sorry to hear about another loss in the family. Thinking about you.

canary52 05-29-2012 01:13 PM

We went to DD's award cermony in the high school. She got awards in Math, Psychology (not even "her" subjects) and the same award as Mern's live in GD: the Presidential Academic Excellence one. And Mern's GD even got another outstanding Ohio state award.And Mern's GD's BF is also a real smarty pants too.
So Mern I can totally get the joy you must have felt. We could not be more proud.
Considering how down I was today, this was a real pick me up. Considering all the challenges my girl faced personally (physical and mental) this was such an achievement. Wanted to share the good news.

cjohnson728 05-29-2012 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 82248)
We went ot DD's award cermony in the high school. She got awards in Math, Psychology (not even "her" subjects) and the same award as Mern's live in GD: the Presidential Academic Excellence one. And Mern's GD even got another outstanding Ohio state award.And Mern's GD's BF is also a real smarty pants too.
So Mern I can totally get the joy you must have felt.We could not be more proud.
Considering how down I was today, this was a real pick me up. Considering all the challenges my girl faced personally (physical and mental) this was such an achievement. Wanted to share the good news.

Congratulations to her and to you and DH, Hope! Y'all have a right to be beaming-proud :D.

Nicely done, mama!

cjohnson728 05-29-2012 01:45 PM

Mern, so, so sorry. What a tremendous blow. It has been a month of ups and downs for you, I know. Hold on to those you love and enjoy your family, today and every day.