Community
Notices

question for the resident vet tech

Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default question for the resident vet tech

Wasn't really sure where to put this but anyway...

I walk with my dog a lot mostly on the road. I was curious to know, as the days get hot and the pavement gets hotter, what can I do to protect my little angel's paw pads? The lengths of our walks vary from day to day and I check her pads after every walk, so far they still look fine and I would like to keep them that way.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

I wouldn't worry unless you walk on black top roads. They make little booties for dogs, can find them a lot in places like Pet Supplies Plus or sometimes in sporting goods stores. If her pads seem dry, a little petroleum jelly is usually enough to relieve that. Walking is great for both of you so keep it up! Extra bonus: you won't have to trim her nails as often
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

I do actually work at a vet and this question gets asked a lot over the summertime. Dog's paws get hot just like our feet do and their paw pads can get burnt from walking on pavement that's too hot. If it would be too hot for you to walk barefoot comfortably, it may be too hot or uncomfortable for your dog. If you think it might be too hot on a particular day, you can gauge this yourself by putting your hand on the pavement; if it's too hot to hold your hand their comfortably for more than a few seconds, it might be too hot for your dog. Most of the time your dog will also let you know that they are uncomfortable or too hot by sitting or laying down during the walk. My best advice would be to listen to any signals that your dog may be giving you, try to walk her early or late in the day while it's still cool if it's particularly hot out. If it's an option where you're walking, let her walk on the grass or take her to a grassy park. And like Lizzy said, booties are a good option too. :P

Happy and safe walking!

Last edited by veixsus; 03-31-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to both of you for the advice!

I had to lol at the thought of my Tiger wearing booties... she tolerates a lot from me in the way of ear cleaning, teeth brushing, etc, but if I tried to put booties on her I think she would probably turn on me!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

My Romeo won't tolerate booties either. :P Although I'm lucky enough to live close to the prarie path and a park. Silly puppies!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Lol I own a blind chihuahua who weighs less than 3 lbs. He goes for a carry