FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   100+ to lose and over 50years old (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7384-100-lose-over-50years-old.html)

adyndravo1 05-13-2012 02:06 PM

100+ to lose and over 50years old

:)
hello, my name is Nyda and I live in south eastern Idaho. I have lost the same ten pounds again and again for the last 2 years. I really need to change some habits this year and get some of this weight off of by December. I have been on ediets and have gone to weight watchers (can't afford them now). I need someone to whom I can tell my daily trials to who has more then 20 pounds to loose. I love to garden and have a green house. I grow most of the veggies and flower I have around my place from seed. I need to get out and start walkiing on days I don't garden I did pretty good today. I did stop and get a rootbeer and zero bar today after work. I have to limit my caffine intake because of migraines and am allergic to chocolate now-it gives me headachs . I still love it but I do better without it.:(
I have decided if nothing else I am going to have to be accountable to myself.
water 6 cups
soda 1 litter dc and 1 rootbeer with sugar
gardening 1.5 hours
veggies 2
fruits 2

Kathy13118 05-14-2012 03:35 AM

Weight Watchers offers that group support. Forums and message boards offer the same thing. WW only tells you that you must eat less (fewer calories) and move more - and you already know that.

You don't HAVE to go to WW because you already know what WW shows you will work: a caloric deficit substantial enough to show you some results fairly consistently. The points system (and now, the more up-to-date points plus system) just gives you a budget of points (calories) and you decide how to spend them. Any old - even any really, really old - WW cookbook will help you see the differences among foods. At a used book sale (at your local library, for example), you will even find books that still have that little WW slide-rule-thingy included. It had fiber, calories and fat to figure the points. Today, the points system uses protein, carbs, fat and fiber.

People lost weight very well with the old slide rule and the old points and observing their points (caloric) budget. The benefits of using the new points plus system are great - zero points for fruits and almost all vegetables, for example. But you know the basic idea is exactly the same. Watch what you eat! Be very specific about what you ate and what was in it and HOW MUCH you ate of it. Tracking food is an exercise that many experienced WWs don't need after years of eyeballing portions and taking note of the fat content of foods. Some WWs track food intermittently - when they start to slide or plateau - or just do it out of habit. This is all that WW is about: staying on plan to ride out the slow periods and then see even more weight loss.

(As you lose weight, WW gives you fewer points!)

You don't need to go to WW. But some sort of accountability (weighing in weekly and having weight go to the computer record at WW and into your booklet) and some sort of feedback (meetings) make it all a conscious effort with consequences. There are other ways to do those things without WW. Any diet, if you stick to it diligently, and it ensures you take in fewer calories than you expend, will work!

adyndravo1 05-14-2012 03:29 PM

Kathy thankyou for your post. I amd here tonight like I said I would. I didn't do as well as yesterday but hay I'm still ahead by 200 calories burned over what I took in. I even added the large cookies I got at a backery. I did a laot of walking today. I got some time off work so went and found out what I needed to do to get my tv working. After I get done with getting the pond area cleaned up tomorrow and get a shower,I plan on playing resistence 1 some more and see if I can get past the shubbery before the aliens kill me.
Kathy your right about the cook books and point counting. I have done it all including (sp) weighting. My electronic scale is outo in my sisters studio to weigh packages on right now.
water to day 6cups
gardening and walking exercise
way to much soda

volleyballgranny 05-15-2012 01:06 AM

Your water goal should start at 8 8oz cups per day--that's 4 16oz bottles. Believe me, you will soon get to the point that 4 bottles goes FAST!

If at all possible, cut out all the sodas--diet AND regular. If you can't, make sure you have cut out all sugar--sodas and baked goods. What WW doesn't take into account on the points system is that many foods act as "triggers" and make people hungrier. Sugar is one of the worst for that. I remember the old days of WW--they'd tell us to eat a dill pickle spear to kill the craving for chocolate (sugar).

Food allergies can cause us to gain--even when we think we have a healthy diet. Wheat is one of the things that my body can't tolerate. It puts me to sleep...lately, it has given me migraines. Apart from that, I'm not supposed to eat it because of microscopic colitis.

For your veggies, concentrate on the leafy greens...and tomatoes. Avoid (or limit) the ones with lots of sugar--like onions, carrots, and beets.

Those first 20 lbs should be pretty easy, but once they are gone, it's going to get tougher--you'll have start counting calories or carbs...points may not be enough.

Also, make sure that you visit the doctor and have bloodwork done. If you turn out to be insulin resistant (as many overweight people are), you'll need to restrict carbs (rice, potatoes, bread, etc). Most people don't totally eliminate them, but you have to make that choice yourself. I have eliminated them--and lost 40 (so far) of the 60 lbs I had to lose. I eat pretty much all I want of leafy greens, tomatoes, avocadoes, etc. I love the way I eat...

Bluesnow222 05-15-2012 10:26 AM

Oh my goodness...

I read your thread title wrong at first and thought you said you were over 100 and had 50 pounds to lose xD!!!

Its relieving that you're still a good 50 with 100.
Good luck ^.^!

nobe 05-15-2012 01:43 PM

Are you saying you're allowing yourself two litres of soda a day? Granted, I've never been a soda drinker and I've heard that it's hard to quit, but in my opinion you aren't going to lose any weight (at least, healthily) if you're drinking soda, sugar or diet...especially not two litres worth. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities, health-wise, and is just going to hurt you and keep you overweight. That should be your first priority if you want to make a change.

adyndravo1 05-19-2012 03:47 PM

:(I know I drink to much soda but I have cut back alot ,maybe by half of what I was drinking.. I have constent sinus problem and the soda cleans out my throat and I don't have a dry mouth. I know I need to drink more water. Water is really good for loosening sinus and other things.
I was dignosed extreemly insulan ristant about 6 years ago and withno health insurance I can't afford an other test at this time. Along wth the resistance I am on to anti depressant on I have been for a while and the other is for my migrains.
Somedays I find it difficult to get up and moving like a would like to. Yesterday, because it was cold here in Idaho, I spent a good 4 hours going through draws and boxes in my bedroom and it all looks much better now. I did really well on my eating and on my water.
today
water 8 cups
soda 1 liter -it helps me be able to talk on the phone (call center)
exercise watered the green house and feed the fish.. they are all getting so big-oldest I have had since 1999 a nd over a foot long
veggies- 3 servings -got first cucmber from the green house today
fruits 2- big banana
I am sorry have not been on the last couple of days. I get busy on my cross stitching and forget to watch the time. Till to morrow

Rubystars 05-20-2012 01:02 AM

Why can't you drink diet soda?

adyndravo1 05-22-2012 03:31 PM

:o Ruby stars I do usuall drink diet,but it is hard to find caffiene free diet orther then colas. I like a bit of a change now and then but mostly likew today I drank mostly water and and only some soda. Spent the day working on my cross stitch and hose cleaning. I was doing mine and my sisters landury. We do that now and then if we are both working. She does mine somtimes.
2 days ago I picked my first cucmber out of the greenhouse.It was tender and sweet. Today I was going to go out side to work but when I woke up the wind was already 28 mile per hour and was only going to get worse. I also had a migraine today. I took my time and got some work done inside.. This evening the wind has calmed down. Does that around here.

adyndravo1 05-24-2012 02:21 PM

Well I made it on tonight last night it there was a problem with the server and had to just stay off. I am feeling drained tonight,but no headache. Somedays the day after is almost as bad as the headace, I feel drained and sleepy. It was a nice slow day today -hurray.
I did well today. I made stir fry last night with a little bit of beef and alot of veggies. Had some for lunch today as well. I got out and feed the fish this evening and I will have a couple of more cucumbers is a day or so. They are so sweet when picked young with tender skin.
Today I had
7cups water and only one large soda
lots of veggies and a vegetarian supper
tomorrow I hope to get out in the yard and work some of the fat off. talk to you all tomorrow nyda:)

Mama_Loca 05-27-2012 12:38 AM

Hi Nyda and all, I just started my over 50, over 100 journey. I'm prepping for weight loss surgery, but that won't be happening until well after September. I have to have 4 months with a Nutritionist before i qualify with my insurance so I have been at this since the middle of April with 8 pounds lost. I know it took me many years to get where I am, but it's so frustrating knowing it will take nearly as long to loose it. I have a lofty goal to be at 300 pounds by mid September, my 54th birthday and hopefully close to my surgery date.

We need to remember to move forward and forget the past. Don't try to make huge changes, baby steps. I've read that it takes about 3 weeks to form a habit. So I hack my life and work on creating new good habits to replace the old bad habits. Before I would mess up one day and give up. Now if I mess up one day I forgive and forget and go forward. We can do this.

cjohnson728 05-27-2012 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mama_Loca (Post 82078)
We need to remember to move forward and forget the past. Don't try to make huge changes, baby steps. I've read that it takes about 3 weeks to form a habit. So I hack my life and work on creating new good habits to replace the old bad habits. Before I would mess up one day and give up. Now if I mess up one day I forgive and forget and go forward. We can do this.

This is truly great advice!

Rubystars 05-27-2012 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by adyndravo1 (Post 81772)
:o Ruby stars I do usuall drink diet,but it is hard to find caffiene free diet orther then colas.

The vast majority of flavored diet sodas I've seen don't have any caffeine in them. Why not diet ginger ale or diet lemon lime soda or diet root beer? None of those have caffeine. You could also try herbal teas and sweeten them with some stevia or sweet & low. I don't like to drink unflavored water either so I find ways to hydrate that don't have calories.

Just don't drink the sugary soda. Some people on here are a little bit extreme with their opposition to artificial sweeteners. If that's what you need to be able to get through the day without sugar soda for a while then use what tools you can.

Weight loss is about calories.

Wohali 06-09-2012 12:19 PM

There have been a number of articles stating diet soda makes people fat because aspartame signals the body to produce more insulin because of the excessively sweet taste. After I read about some of the other bad ingredients in diet sodas like citric acid that causes cavities and benzoate that causes a long list of health problems I just decided to stop drinking it. I haven't regularly drank soda for over 2 years. Then I got back on it for a week or so buying several 12 packs, but I discovered I didn't like the burning feeling on my gums that the citric acid causes and it now causes me stomach pain. So here I have 3 12-12packs of soda sitting here for months. I discovered soda is just a chemical dependency just like cigarettes or alcohol. I just gave it up and don't regret it. The stuff is nasty; the diet soda is just toxic chemicals. I also gave up my other habit chips and fast food. I don't miss it. When I traveled and ended up having to eat fast food and eating some free chips that were given at my hotel I found both made me sick at my stomach. I cook my own food and have little junk other than occasional treat of ice cream or one small piece of chocolate (not a whole bar). I've went from 274 to 230 having lost the same 15 lbs three times because I had to live with family for over a month and gained it all back because they only eat fast food and then I went through a spell in winter where I ate a bunch of baked goods. But I've managed to lose 12 more lbs in past 3 months. Giving up the junk is worth it I think because skinny people get treated better plus they just make nicer clothes in the small sizes.

adyndravo1 07-03-2012 03:13 AM

:D Hello everyone. It has been a while since my last post. I lost my job last week, and was in the deep depression for a few days. I feeling much better. I do have some good news though. I have been losingthe same 10 pounds for the last year.Today I finally broke the 260 barrier and dropped to 259.5 a wieght I have not been at for a long time.
wohali and ruby stars about the soda. I am drinking less then I was 6 months ago and now I am home and am drinking more water and crystal light then soda.
Mama_Loca welcome to fitday. Here you will find people going through the same problems you are. We help each other over the bad times and always look forward to hear from you. I too would beat myself up over a slip, then go all the way and not eat right from sometime. Now when I eat to much of something I shrug it off as best I can and go forward.
I have the big party of the year today. I have a bunch of stuff to get done. Menus is porkloin and salads. have a great 4th of july!!!

[email protected] 07-10-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by adyndravo1 (Post 84695)
:D Hello everyone. It has been a while since my last post. I lost my job last week, and was in the deep depression for a few days. I feeling much better. I do have some good news though. I have been losingthe same 10 pounds for the last year.Today I finally broke the 260 barrier and dropped to 259.5 a wieght I have not been at for a long time.
wohali and ruby stars about the soda. I am drinking less then I was 6 months ago and now I am home and am drinking more water and crystal light then soda.
Mama_Loca welcome to fitday. Here you will find people going through the same problems you are. We help each other over the bad times and always look forward to hear from you. I too would beat myself up over a slip, then go all the way and not eat right from sometime. Now when I eat to much of something I shrug it off as best I can and go forward.
I have the big party of the year today. I have a bunch of stuff to get done. Menus is porkloin and salads. have a great 4th of july!!!

Hello Nyda! Where in Idaho do you live? My inlaws live in Melba, and i have a couple of friends from church who live in Boise! We visit there once or twice a year! I am 51 and have been on a constant weight loss journey, have been every size from 20 to size 5 all from my 30's til now almost 52! I am currently 150 and am trying to get the last 10 pounds off. I have RA so what I eat matters if I am to do anything physical. I love love love soda, and it took awhile, but I can say with time and better habits you got this<3 I now only drink maybe one a month if even that. Everything takes time, I have been patient with myself and the results come. Its been encouraging reading your threads! Keep on keeping on!

Kathy13118 07-11-2012 01:38 AM

Congratulations on breaking through that weight barrier. You are doing something that works, so keep it up! Weight fluctuates, so even if your weight creeps up a bit (hormones, water retention, etc.), you know that it can and will drift back down if you stay on track.

Sorry about the job, though...

4.a.healthier.me 07-28-2012 08:13 PM

This is a great thread, but if you would like a more active one, and more voices chiming in, you may want to look into the "100+ to loose" thread in the weight loss forum...It's a unisex thread, and a lot of the guys there have great comments and suggestions that may not come up in a women only thread...

Just a thought ;).

BTW, my suggestions about soda...

If you like the carbonation, try unflavored club soda or seltzer water. You can add a bit of fruit juice to it for flavor with little or no sugar, or you can go to a health food store and pick up some flavor drops and sweeten it with stevia instead

If you don't care about the carbonation, but just want to add some flavor to your still water, you can either use fresh lemon or lime juice, or make an herbal tea that you sweeten with stevia or some other no calorie sweetener

I don't drink coffee or tea, and I don't have much money for carbonated beverages of any kind, so my favorite drink is really watered down crystal light. I take an empty 2 liter bottle, fill it with filtered water, and add one of the "single serving" packets that you are supposed to add to a 16 oz bottle. I find that adding the packet to 16 oz is just to strong for me, but in a 2 liter it's just right

Hope these suggestions help you on your journey

andieligon 08-06-2012 12:35 PM

Hi Nyda, I'm new to FitDay myself. I also have over 100 pounds to lose, and have cut out soda recently. Something that is definitely NOT easy in the house I live in. Speaking from my own experience, water gets easier to drink the more available it is to you. And the less available other options like soda and sugary drinks like kool-aid.

I used to live in Idaho myself and we frequently travel back there. From what I remember of Mountain Home, there is often not a large variety. Perhaps your local grocer carries La Croix water? It's carbonated and flavored. Or you can also get non-flavored. I wouldn't recommend drinking it often but I know that moving away from carbonated drinks is difficult. This could be a fix for that carbonation.

.:Sidenote:. I had recently heard in a podcast that carbonation was actually being considered as another taste. Like salty, sweet, bitter, spicy and umami, carbonation may actually be a taste that we begin to crave. Thus for a lot of people, just dropping carbonated drinks is not as easy as it is for others.

Another option you could try, that someone else mentioned was putting lemon or lime into your water. My dad recently had to cut all soda from his diet. He is dealing with kidney failure and a host of other issues, so the soda had to be severely limited. He now keeps a pitcher of water in the fridge with a cut up lemon in it. Always cold and the lemon gives the water a taste without adding anything he doesn't need.

Finally, you might just want to invest in a water filter if you don't have one all ready. Either a Brita filter with the pitcher, or the faucet connector filter from pur. You should always have bottled water stocked and on hand in case of a natural disaster, but it can become expensive constantly restocking bottled water.

I look forward to seeing more about how you're doing.

adyndravo1 10-13-2012 03:02 PM

:o I am still unemployed. For the first 3 months I have been a depression hole. It has taken a lot of hard work but I fell like I am coming aout of it. I don't dreink as much soda as I use to. I have a well so not on city water and don't need a filter. I am drinking much more water then pop these days. I spent about 2 weeks getting the yard ready for winter. I pulled thistel and sweeped the walk ways and cleaned out the garage. We can now find stuff and can park our cars in it. I hate scraping windows. I have been surrounded by firies here in eastern idaho. For most of the month of august it was iffy if you could breath outside. There alters out abut staying inside if can. I leave next to a very tall hill and some days it looked like there was fog around the top, but it was smoke. So I am happy to let you all know I have finally lost another pound. I am going to try to writ more often. Have a great week.

adyndravo1 10-23-2012 03:58 PM

:o Today has not been a good day diet wise. I started a new job today and I am a nervous reck. First time I ever had to take actual calls on the first day of training. I found some andes peppermint chunks and used them in stead of chocolate chips. I ate way to more then I should have. I did get my watewr in and I did more walking then I have for a few days. I hope this job works out for me and I can get some hours in. In the mean time I can keep looking for an other job that is full time. Hope every one has a good Wednesday. Nyda

adyndravo1 12-29-2012 03:54 PM

:(
Hello all. My job ended about 2 days after the election. Just so you know,I find it much better not to get into politics and relegion unless you know someone very well.
I am feeling yucky and still fighting off what ever I came down with Christimas night. My sister is sick also and we just have no energy to get much done this last few days. We got the rest of the turkey froze today, and did a few dishes and that is it.
I am going to go all out starting on jan 2. I am going to weigh and measure and write a journal and log on to here everydaya that I can remeber. I want to be much lighter and in better shape this spring.
I am still having migraines. I had one in Nov. that was the worst I have had in months. I am going to get a lawyer and try to disablity. I had worked 4 short days, came home with a migrain starting, called in to work the next day. went back to my brown bedroom blinds closed lights off. It took about 6 hours and 2 doses of meds. I don't know what that dows to the diest but it can't be good. I have never called in sick the 5th day of a new job ever till know.
Here's to a great new year to all of us. Nyda

adyndravo1 01-03-2013 01:25 PM

:) I wieghed in yesterday and was only up by 3 pounds. So not bad for the holidays. I have been really good today and got a lot of exercise in. I took down the tree and packed up all the Christmas stuff and then took 8 trips out to the shed. I put in close to 1/2 mile just packing stuff up and hauling it back where it belongs.
yesterday I had a headache that would not go away, I know it will take a few days to get the sugar out of my system. ANd that may be where the headache came in. I am determined to make this work this time. I have had my water as well to day. Iam trying for 12 cups a day. Nyda

adyndravo1 01-04-2013 07:25 AM

:)
Today I all ready have 8 cups of water in and 1 mile walk away the pounds
I had a bad breakfast but a good lunch

adyndravo1 01-09-2013 06:39 AM

:D
Hey all,
I lost all the weight I had gained back this last week down 2.5 lbs from last wednesday. water, water, water o the thing with exercise. I hope it keeps working. Nyda

ahappieru 01-09-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by adyndravo1 (Post 94052)
:D
Hey all,
I lost all the weight I had gained back this last week down 2.5 lbs from last wednesday. water, water, water o the thing with exercise. I hope it keeps working. Nyda

Way to go! I am still fighting my 3 pounds from the holidays. Water makes a huge difference. :)

adyndravo1 01-10-2013 09:37 AM

;) yes indeed water helps with weight lose. It also helps with other things. Being hydrated helps oh so much. Knew I had not drank enough yesterday when I got up this morning. It was a litle dark. Needs to be pale. That is how you know you have been drinking enough. Already have eight cups down and am working on the last 4. Nyda

adyndravo1 01-13-2013 02:40 PM

:o Wish I was feeling better the last 3 days. I have woke up with a headache each morning and it takes a while to get rid of them. I have not exercised much this week. And I need to get back to eating veggies. I am sure the headaches are partly due to the weather. The pressure has been up and down and up. It is way to cold to go out side. this evening it is -15. do not what the wind chill is. that is a drop of 4 degrees in just a few minutes from posting the motavational (sp) thread. well I have been sitting here long enough. I am going to the kitchen and get some celery and carrots and go back to my cross stiching. Nyda

adyndravo1 01-15-2013 02:29 PM

I shoveled yesterday and have been getting in my water. I really wish it would warm up. The word was it would be a warm winter. HA HA HA. It has really cold for here dropping into the minus nuber and not getting warm. It is 8 degrees last I check with a wind chill feels like -3. I will keep geting my water in and work on more veggies and exercise.

adyndravo1 02-13-2013 04:16 PM

:( I am back finnally . Had to take the somputer in ofr a tune up. I am wieghing to morrow and measure ing. I wnat to loose as much wieght as possible byt the first week end in May. MY sister and I are going sought 250 miles to salt lake cisty to quilt shoe and much window shopping. So I will be posting here and on the motivational thread often so I can stay on track.

zenklown 02-20-2013 03:26 PM

Thereis a lot of salt in diet soda. Speaking purely for myself, the salt tends to make me both thirsty and hungry.