Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Fabulous 100 pound club for women... >

Fabulous 100 pound club for women...

Community
Notices

Fabulous 100 pound club for women...

Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by speedyfair
I'm a stress eater as well- either I can't eat anything- or want to eat comfort foods- both are not good because after not eating I'm so hungry I eat way too much- and usually bad choices. Now, either I come here and it helps to express yourself or I have a serious talk to myself about my goals and the foods that will help or hinder those goals. I also try very hard not to have foods in the house so temptation is easier to avoid.

I also have a Wii Fit and loved it this winter, but now am looking forward to some outside activities- although I have a yoga and strength training routine that I will still do before I walk to warm-up. Love the yoga after working all day- feels so good to strech those muscles. It's also nice for days when I can't get outside. the hula-hoop is a real workout too !! lol
Hi Speedyfair-ditto on everything you said on eating.
I saw the yoga for WiiFit, how does it know if you're doing the poses correctly? Or is it like watching a DVD? What game is the hula hoop on, or is it its own program? I have great memories of hula-hooping as a kid, that sounds like the most fun core exercise ever!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Good Afternoon Everybody!

It's beautiful here in Iowa - the sun is out and it's the perfect 65 degrees...I don't like the heat so this is considered perfect in my eyes! It's been awhile since I posted - mostly because I was feeling down about how I was doing. The first month went so great - the 2nd I did everything the same (so I thought) and no changes on the scale. I know everyone hits plateaus - but it was just frustrating for me. So I kinda stopped caring and went back to some of my old habits.

But I woke up today and decided that I can't do that. I need to get back on track. I need to stop obsessing over the scale - and do what makes me feel better! And when I'm eating right and moving around - I feel great!

I'm currently living with my boyfriend and his mother. And this woman is driving me crazy!!! I notice that the more she drives me crazy the more I want to just sleep and eat! I'm trying to instead of eating and sleeping to go for a walk when she is acting up. Easier said than done. Does anyone else live or work with some that just drives them crazy - and how do you deal with it?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Hula-hoop and hula-hoop plus are both on the Wii Fit Plus, so you don't really have to buy extra games like you did in the old days with the gaming systems. The only reason I said you probably can't get into fantastic shape with it is that it seems to have longer rest times or more breaks than other videos and workouts I've tried, and it's focused on getting you up off the couch not in giving you a heart attack. The up side is that many of the games don't feel like a workout when your doing them, even though you break a sweat you're still playing a game and not paying any attention to the burn. I like Island Cycle, I'm a complete addict, love Skateboard Arena too. Keep in mind I've never used a skateboard in real life, but I've gotten so good at the Wii Fit Plus version the 8 year old boy I watch after school actually whistled (or tried to) as he watched me play. I do flips and everything, just call me "virtual Shawna White".

Masonry work? Ummm, I have some stone that needs moving and a patio stone project to get done, maybe I'll get into that next week. The weekend is shot, we have a family wedding.

Christineval, I don't see a ton wrong with what you're eating. I have a similar approach, minus the bran buds (I've never seen those around here) and the WW frozen entree's (you might want to check the sodium and carbs on those, I don't really trust TV dinners for nutrition, no matter the brand name). I eat 3 squares plus 2 snacks too, but I have a pre-workout snack first thing in the morning instead of a mid-morning snack like you do. I do the following per day:

1 hour workout 6-7 days a week, first thing in the morning before I'm awake enough to talk myself out of it.

2 servings whole grain carb, low-fat, low-cal. I usually stick to 35 cal/slice bread, slim buns, Special K, rice cakes, Akmak crackers or rye crisp crackers, although occasionally I eat rice or a small serving of whole wheat pasta or 1/2 a medium potato (usually red skin). I try and keep the 2 servings under 200 calories total. If I've gained in the last 1-2 days, I cut it down to 1 serving.

3 servings of fruit, no 2 of the same kind in a given day, usually 1 banana, 1 apple or orange and a serving of berries (usually frozen blueberries or strawberries). I try and keep the fruit calories right around 200-250.

4-6 servings of protein, low-cal, low-fat, I use Spiru-Tein, a sugar-free chocolate protein powder in the morning after my workout (96 calories, 14g of protein), ff cottage cheese, water packed tuna, chicken, fish, lean beef, reduced fat cheese, low-fat cold cuts (turkey, chicken or ham), almonds, eggs, cashew, Greek yogurt, low-fat yogurt of any kind and bacon (weekends only). I try not to eat beef more than 2X/week because I tend to gain if I go over that. I try and keep the protein up around 30-40% of my calories, when my protein is low I snack on tuna or chicken salad served on cucumber slices (instead of crackers) or a cup of Greek yogurt with some low-sugar jam stirred in.

7-10 servings of veggies, notice I said "serving" not "portion", I usually use a 1 cup measure for veggies. Basically if it's a veggie, I'll eat it. I don't eat corn or peas more than once a week, because they tend to have more carbs than other options and stall me out, and when I do eat them I only get 1/2 cup.

I drink water and plenty of it. I use a 24 ounce bottle which hopefully gets refilled at least 3 times/day. I drink the first one in the morning during my workout, the second between breakfast and lunch and hopefully a 3rd between lunch and dinner. Often I forget the third one so I end up trying to drink it after dinner, which has me up peeing all night. Oh well. When I'm hungry for a cheat, I won't let myself do it unless I've had all my water for the day (and since I'm always struggling with the water intake, I just don't get to cheat very often). Sometimes I'll drink a bunch of water so I can cheat, but by the time I've gotten it all downed, I'm not craving the cheat anymore.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by disujo
Good Afternoon Everybody!

It's beautiful here in Iowa - the sun is out and it's the perfect 65 degrees...I don't like the heat so this is considered perfect in my eyes! It's been awhile since I posted - mostly because I was feeling down about how I was doing. The first month went so great - the 2nd I did everything the same (so I thought) and no changes on the scale. I know everyone hits plateaus - but it was just frustrating for me. So I kinda stopped caring and went back to some of my old habits.

But I woke up today and decided that I can't do that. I need to get back on track. I need to stop obsessing over the scale - and do what makes me feel better! And when I'm eating right and moving around - I feel great!

I'm currently living with my boyfriend and his mother. And this woman is driving me crazy!!! I notice that the more she drives me crazy the more I want to just sleep and eat! I'm trying to instead of eating and sleeping to go for a walk when she is acting up. Easier said than done. Does anyone else live or work with some that just drives them crazy - and how do you deal with it?
I have 3 kids do they count? Just kidding, our kids are awesome, but they do add the occasional difficult moment to my life (every day). I don't live with my mother-in-law, which is a good thing. We get along fine, but I think if we were in each others pockets day in and day out, it could get ugly. Have you considered taking up martial arts? My neighbor lady is taking classes, and loves every minute of it. She says it centers her focus and gives her life balance, it's also done HUGE things for her self esteem. I think yoga might be beneficial for you too.

Do you know that sleeping and eating all the time can be symptoms of depression? And one of the best treatments out there for depression is exercise. So yes a walk, or an exercise class of some sort would be a really good way to deal with her. Maybe you and honey-bun need your own place?

I hit a hard plateau a while back too, and it was like you said, I was doing everything the same as before. Well as it turns out, the less you weigh the fewer calories you burn in the exact same workout. So I had to up my workout by 15 minutes and that fixed it - for a while. Now I'm having to up it again. Ugh.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
FitDay Member

Oh goodness Almeeker - I know we need our own place. We are in the process of saving up for a place right now. With him being unemployed and feeling like his mother needs him doesn't help things! She is quite elderly...and it is good that he is there for her - but YES we need our own place!! That does makes sense to up the exercises!! I've added hills to my walking schedule - but I guess I need to do more than that! Thanks for listening!!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=desertmountain;9448]Hi Christine-First let me say that your food choices basically look healthy.

One of the first things I addressed was emotional eating. Good books at the library & Amazon, this was last year so I don't remember most of the titles but I think one of them was Feelings are Hard, Eating is Easy ... something like that. Lots of interesting insights, the most important help for me was that high carb foods are most ppl's comfort foods b/c it releases serotonin (the feel-good brain chemical) but exercise also releases it as does turkey & some other non-carby foods and these things don't cause the cravings to increase afterward.

Limiting high carb food (foods high on the glycemic index, too) curbed most of my cravings & got my appetite under control (back then I ALWAYS felt hungry). Later, just recently, from tracking foods here at Fitday I learned that grains, no matter how small the portion triggers increased hunger & cravings plus I gain weight eating them. All starchy foods do too but to a much lesser degree. I gave up all sweeteners that spike glucose levels & found a sugar-free protein drink since I was working out really hard back then.

This is very helpful thanks for the advice, I've definitely noticed the high carb food problem as I have it myself and stress and emotional eating is a factor for me also.

One interesting side light about the dieting etc., I went to the dentist today and he noticed a difference in my teeth and gums after just 2 months of better eating
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by desertmountain
Hi Christine-First let me say that your food choices basically look healthy.

I relate to the binge & no purge perspective and have said that to ppl thinking it was so funny only to have them judge me or look strangely at me. LOL - yeah, I totally relate to your comments-also about eating for reasons other than being hungry & uncontrolled eating of sweets.
Here's what I did, just FYI, everyone is different so use your intuition to see if you want to try any of this.

I began changing one thing at a time. After that becomes a habit I start on another thing I want to change. I can't maintain too much change too fast for a sustained period of time.

One of the first things I addressed was emotional eating. Good books at the library & Amazon, this was last year so I don't remember most of the titles but I think one of them was Feelings are Hard, Eating is Easy ... something like that. Lots of interesting insights, the most important help for me was that high carb foods are most ppl's comfort foods b/c it releases serotonin (the feel-good brain chemical) but exercise also releases it as does turkey & some other non-carby foods and these things don't cause the cravings to increase afterward.

Limiting high carb food (foods high on the glycemic index, too) curbed most of my cravings & got my appetite under control (back then I ALWAYS felt hungry). Later, just recently, from tracking foods here at Fitday I learned that grains, no matter how small the portion triggers increased hunger & cravings plus I gain weight eating them. All starchy foods do too but to a much lesser degree. I gave up all sweeteners that spike glucose levels & found a sugar-free protein drink since I was working out really hard back then.

Once I shifted what I ate, not how much I ate, there were immediate rewards-fewer & fewer cravings, no more binges, and a normal appetite. Then I addressed how much I ate by setting a calories per day target so my diet changed to only eating lean protein & lots of salad, raw veggies & veggie recipes with low or no fat. Then I started South Beach to use as a guide for healthy eating. But it has way too many carbs; gains & starchy foods for me to lose weight with so I've morphed it into what works for me. Still using it as a guideline though.
I stick to the calories recommended by Fitday, it works for me. I'm not deprived or feeling hungry all the time. I use fitday's exercise journal so I'm always sure that I burn more calories than I eat.
That's a shortened version of my journey.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because after looking at your healthy menu & considering you're still having off-plan eating there's something that isn't working for you or something isn't meeting your needs. My advice is to address why you're eating off plan first, find out what's triggering the cravings & increased appetite. Is a certain type of food triggering it, like grains? Is it just emotional? Using Fitday to track moods & foods will help you do the detective work. Try eliminating types of food for a week to see if it changes your cravings & reduces your appetite. Or go low carb for a week to see if that does it. Once you get that taken care of it sounds like you've got it all under control.
WOW tahanks for all your info I really appreciate it. I just feel so over whelmed. I just measured myself today for the first time since Sept 28/2009 and I have only lost 1.5 inches and no weight even though I am working out everyday of the week since Feb 2010.

I am wondering if my body is rebelling after all the years of bad dieting and starvation. I think maybe I lost a lot of muscle and now it will take time to get it back. Or I dont know lol I am just frustrating because I feel I am wrecking the great opportunity I have with working out everyday at lunch with not eatting properly.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Hula-hoop and hula-hoop plus are both on the Wii Fit Plus, so you don't really have to buy extra games like you did in the old days with the gaming systems. The only reason I said you probably can't get into fantastic shape with it is that it seems to have longer rest times or more breaks than other videos and workouts I've tried, and it's focused on getting you up off the couch not in giving you a heart attack. The up side is that many of the games don't feel like a workout when your doing them, even though you break a sweat you're still playing a game and not paying any attention to the burn. I like Island Cycle, I'm a complete addict, love Skateboard Arena too. Keep in mind I've never used a skateboard in real life, but I've gotten so good at the Wii Fit Plus version the 8 year old boy I watch after school actually whistled (or tried to) as he watched me play. I do flips and everything, just call me "virtual Shawna White".

Masonry work? Ummm, I have some stone that needs moving and a patio stone project to get done, maybe I'll get into that next week. The weekend is shot, we have a family wedding.

Christineval, I don't see a ton wrong with what you're eating. I have a similar approach, minus the bran buds (I've never seen those around here) and the WW frozen entree's (you might want to check the sodium and carbs on those, I don't really trust TV dinners for nutrition, no matter the brand name). I eat 3 squares plus 2 snacks too, but I have a pre-workout snack first thing in the morning instead of a mid-morning snack like you do. I do the following per day:

1 hour workout 6-7 days a week, first thing in the morning before I'm awake enough to talk myself out of it.

2 servings whole grain carb, low-fat, low-cal. I usually stick to 35 cal/slice bread, slim buns, Special K, rice cakes, Akmak crackers or rye crisp crackers, although occasionally I eat rice or a small serving of whole wheat pasta or 1/2 a medium potato (usually red skin). I try and keep the 2 servings under 200 calories total. If I've gained in the last 1-2 days, I cut it down to 1 serving.

3 servings of fruit, no 2 of the same kind in a given day, usually 1 banana, 1 apple or orange and a serving of berries (usually frozen blueberries or strawberries). I try and keep the fruit calories right around 200-250.

4-6 servings of protein, low-cal, low-fat, I use Spiru-Tein, a sugar-free chocolate protein powder in the morning after my workout (96 calories, 14g of protein), ff cottage cheese, water packed tuna, chicken, fish, lean beef, reduced fat cheese, low-fat cold cuts (turkey, chicken or ham), almonds, eggs, cashew, Greek yogurt, low-fat yogurt of any kind and bacon (weekends only). I try not to eat beef more than 2X/week because I tend to gain if I go over that. I try and keep the protein up around 30-40% of my calories, when my protein is low I snack on tuna or chicken salad served on cucumber slices (instead of crackers) or a cup of Greek yogurt with some low-sugar jam stirred in.

7-10 servings of veggies, notice I said "serving" not "portion", I usually use a 1 cup measure for veggies. Basically if it's a veggie, I'll eat it. I don't eat corn or peas more than once a week, because they tend to have more carbs than other options and stall me out, and when I do eat them I only get 1/2 cup.

I drink water and plenty of it. I use a 24 ounce bottle which hopefully gets refilled at least 3 times/day. I drink the first one in the morning during my workout, the second between breakfast and lunch and hopefully a 3rd between lunch and dinner. Often I forget the third one so I end up trying to drink it after dinner, which has me up peeing all night. Oh well. When I'm hungry for a cheat, I won't let myself do it unless I've had all my water for the day (and since I'm always struggling with the water intake, I just don't get to cheat very often). Sometimes I'll drink a bunch of water so I can cheat, but by the time I've gotten it all downed, I'm not craving the cheat anymore.
Thanks so much for your info. I wish I knew myself that well lol. I cant wait to be able to know about myself everything you just said.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
Thanks so much for your info. I wish I knew myself that well lol. I cant wait to be able to know about myself everything you just said.
I've learned most of that about myself since Christmas, so if you take a little time to study your diet and exercise, and your body's response to it, you should be up to speed in no time at all. This site is really helpful.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

Big big news at my house!!!! Yesterday I bought 2 pairs of shorts. I had 4 children with me, so I didn't dare try them on for fear they would wreck the place while I was naked in the dressing room. I grabbed a pair of 16's and held them up and thought they looked not too big, but just a little spacious. So on a whim I grabbed 14's thinking that if they were too small I would just diet into them by the end of May. Got them home and guess what? They fit perfectly, they are even kinda hot, well hot for me anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.