FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Fabulous 100 pound club for women... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/729-fabulous-100-pound-club-women.html)

amylee32 04-01-2010 03:12 PM

Hey ladies!

I have to tell you, you are all so encouraging! I am facing the oh-so-wonderful reality that I NEED to lose at LEAST 100 pounds. Even then I will be overweight. Sigh. I cried when I read the scale 2 1/2 weeks ago. A whopping 400 pounds. I am very ashamed of myself, rather disgusted. But, I am the only one who can change it and I know that. I am currently down 15 pounds and love it. It's so nice to not see the evil "4" on the scale.

How do you all stay so motivated? I keep trying to set smaller goals for myself, like 5 pounds. I do ok for a day or so then freak when I realize I have 100 lbs to go! It seems impossible that I will ever get there... :(

SkinnyErinn 04-01-2010 04:35 PM

New here.

Hi all, I have been using FitDay for 3 weeks now. I went to the doctor for a pre-employment physical, and while he said I was healthy, my weight was 306. This morning I weighed in again (only 1x a week on Thursdays) and I am now 283. I am on a very low carb diet designed by a nutritionist, eat about 1100 calories a day. I take about 20 vitamin supplements a day, but it's worth it.
When I was 24 I weighed 430 pounds. I got down to 215 (and looked FANTASTIC) by the time I was 26. Then, I got into a relationship with an EATER! Seriously bad eating habits, overweight, inactive... all the bad stuff. So, fast forward 3.5 years and I am pregnant with my second child and deliver at 334... less than 100 pounds from my starting weight. It's been a crazy roller coaster. My weight even made me shrink from 5'7" to 5'5".
Fortunately I am not a lazy person. Don't get me wrong, I HATE exercising but I move around alot all day long.
My weight loss goal is to be at 270 (-13 pounds) by 4/26. We'll see if I can do it. Ultimately I would love to get to 175, though that is still 25 pounds overweight according to FitDay.
I really look forward to getting to know you all.

speedyfair 04-01-2010 11:25 PM

It's friday!

Hi all

Last day of the work week for me and looking forward to some sunshine this weekend. Did pretty good all week- ae my "diet soup " and that helped to kick start me back to good eating habits.

amylee- welcome and I try not to focus on the total weight I have to lose, know that this is a lifestyle change and I break it down into 10 lbs decades so I don't get discouraged that I have so far to go. Celebrate each step and realize that every good and healthy choice you make takes you one step closer to your goal. This thread has certainly helped me to stay motivated.

patti- what a great Spring break- enjoy

desertmountain- if I have time, I will post my soup recipe lots of veggies and it makes a lot so I have it all week.

skinnyerin- I know how having someone with bad habits can effect your choices, but know that you are doing this for yourself and your family. The best gift you can give them is being healthy.

everyone have a wonderful Spring - Sunny weekend

desertmountain 04-02-2010 04:37 AM

Bad Day

I had a terrible day yesterday and ended up eating 2 cups of dh's hamburger helper and 2 cups of his potato chips late last night. It totaled more than my daily allowable calories in that one sitting. So not worth it! I immediately went into some pretty serious negative self-talk (abusive when I look back on it--I would never talk to another person like that :o) Anyways, I'm trying to make peace with myself today. I was going to eat really low calorie for a couple of days to make up for it, that was one of my excuses last night, but now I'm afraid that being overly hungry could set me up to binge again. I'm not sure what to do. I log in my daily eating plan to get it at 1200 everyday but right now the plan is 800. Anyways, I use the word binge here b/c that's what it felt like...another excuse I told myself last night that it wasn't really a binge (even though I was giving into that out of control urge to eat) because I measured everything out & ate a lot less than I would have in the past during a binge.
I'm trying to understand it so I won't fall into this again but I"m not sure exactly what happened except that I've been really frustrated this week at working so hard to loose weight but staying stuck at this plateau and then felt emotionally rough yesterday for no reason, just a completely off day. So I think that I just went to the bad old habit of reaching for comfort food since it was right there in front of me. Usually when dh makes his high cal/high fat food it's not that hard to resist since it's mostly all processed food, which I normally don't find so appealing.
They say that no one plans to fail, they just fail to plan so obviously I need a better plan. New plan: I promise myself that next time #1 - I will eat an allowable snack & remind myself that I'm NOT deprived. #2 I will not obsess over the forbidden food--I will come to Fitday and read & post for 30 minutes or for as long as it takes to get my mind off of it & back into the grove of reaching my goals. I'm not sure what else to try. Can you share what works best for you if you go through things like this, too?

Thank you for listening to me and letting me share this with you. After writing this I feel a little less scared that I'm going to go back into my old destructive habits & give up.

GlowingG 04-02-2010 10:32 AM

Dear DesertMountain,

Thank you for sharing where you are. Maybe the obessessing will be less if you forgive yourself, and start afresh at 1,200.

Dear AmyLee: I look forward to going on this journey with you. One day on fitday at a time!

I'm new to Fitday this year, introduced by the wonderful Carlene Jones, who is holding me to account. She coaches obese people who want to take action. In a really busy life, she holds me to account. It's extraordinary to find out the calorie and fat grams of the food I've been eating. Now, I'm committed to walking an hour a day, raising my heart rate.

I've just celebrated 19.8lbs with her (a few more in fact) and being under 20 stone (the Brits will understand that!), by blowing bubbles for my dogs! I also have stickers in my work note book (yes - sparkly balloons on the back apge - very mature as I'm the MD!) and kid's well done stickers on a card in my closet. Marking our progress and getting on when we fail, and celebrating now not later are all key to me!

So I look forward to celebrating with you you all as we release the lbs back to willd.............

desertmountain 04-03-2010 03:08 AM

I'm back on track with a better outlook today. Thanks for your help GlowingG, that forgiveness part was exactly what I needed to do before I could move on. Welcome to Fitday, it sounds like you have some really good support (love the bubble blowing party & sticker ideas :), we're all children at heart) and a healthy plan. Congratulations on losing so much! That's wonderful.

Amylee32-I agree with Speedyfair. When I think about how much more I have to lose it gets really hard to stay motivated, too. Since coming to Fitday I've learned to break it up into 10 pound goals & then reward myself for each of those mini-goals...okay, it doesn't feel like mini anything since 10 pounds represents a lot of hard work! But it's doable & together we can make this happen!

SkinnyErinn-boy could I relate to your post. I'm so glad that you've decided to get fit before any weight related health issues creep up on you. Kudos! For decades my docs always fussed at me to lose weight, but my lab work was good until last year, blood sugar was a little high & that's been motivating me to get fit. I also hate to exercise only when it's an exercise program, but love to be active gardening, playing with my dogs, etc. My goal is to adopt lifelong healthy habits so I've started doing regular exercise for an hour a day. I still hate it, but less and less as I press on. I've been focusing on strengthening my core & feel stronger & also less lower back pain from sitting a lot at work so seeing some results keeps me motivated. My dh is an eater but must have the metabolism of a hummingbird since he's in good shape regardless of how much junk food or snacks he eats. It's hard not to follow the other person's example especially when you love food or are a foodie like me. I'm glad that you're on track & making really good progress - awesome job! I look forward to hearing about your progress here.

Hey Speedyfair, I hope you're having a fun holiday weekend. Yes, I'd love that recipe. I've cut the fat & some calories out of the Alton Brown cabbage recipe & will make it today, let me know if you'd like a copy of it.

Enjoy your Spring break Pattialbert :D

SkinnyErinn 04-03-2010 05:13 AM

Pettiness and control

Before anyone gets confuzzled - I am in a same-gender relationship, lol.
Ok, so my partner and I just got into an argument about Sweet Tarts. Apparently, she's had them for weeks. First off, let me preface this by explaining that yesterday we went shopping for Easter goodies yesterday and while I wanted to focus on the non-edible stuff like toys, she kept going to chocolate (because I knew she was really going to be the one eating it, we don't allow our daughter to have candy and our son it too young).
So flash forward to this morning. I go into the office and find her secret stash of Sweet Tarts. She says it's to help her quit smoking. I ask why she couldn't just have sugar free certs or something. She freaks out on me, says I am always "all or nothing" and throws the candy in the trash, storming out.
We are always arguing about her lifestyle. She is obese, extremely inactive and has just about the worse eating habits one could have. She says that because she only has about 70 pounds to lose, she shouldn't have to change anything until I have only 70 pounds to lose, so we can lose them together. I just hear excuses and laziness.
SO, what do you think, am I being petty and controlling?

CrabLegs 04-03-2010 05:47 AM

Amylee32 I lost over 100 lbs and it is very possible.

CrabLegs 04-03-2010 06:03 AM

Hi everyone, I have 100 lbs to lose again and I hope Fitday can help me. I was on Weight Watchers and lost over 100 lbs but I gained it back because I went back to making poor eating choices. I have to lose weight for my health and I feel this will be a good motivator. Hope to make friends here who have the same goals. I have 2 beautiful daughters and will be a grandmother for the first time very soon.

desertmountain 04-03-2010 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 7504)
Before anyone gets confuzzled - I am in a same-gender relationship, lol.
Ok, so my partner and I just got into an argument about Sweet Tarts. Apparently, she's had them for weeks. First off, let me preface this by explaining that yesterday we went shopping for Easter goodies yesterday and while I wanted to focus on the non-edible stuff like toys, she kept going to chocolate (because I knew she was really going to be the one eating it, we don't allow our daughter to have candy and our son it too young).
So flash forward to this morning. I go into the office and find her secret stash of Sweet Tarts. She says it's to help her quit smoking. I ask why she couldn't just have sugar free certs or something. She freaks out on me, says I am always "all or nothing" and throws the candy in the trash, storming out.
We are always arguing about her lifestyle. She is obese, extremely inactive and has just about the worse eating habits one could have. She says that because she only has about 70 pounds to lose, she shouldn't have to change anything until I have only 70 pounds to lose, so we can lose them together. I just hear excuses and laziness.
SO, what do you think, am I being petty and controlling?

What I've learned from living with someone who's not very interested in changing their eating habits is to let it go. What I hear her saying is that when she's ready, she'll join you. She's not ready. She probably needs your support right now by understanding that her choice, although not the best, is helping her to do something very hard, quit smoking. I don't think that it's petty or controlling to see your loved one doing things that hurts them & want to help them see it, too. But, since you've pointed out the chocolate thing to her (hopefully you did anyways) I'm not sure what else you can do. As frustrating as it is, as an adult, it's her choice. I hope it's just temporary b/c she quitting & that she now sees what she was or is doing.
You'll be a good influence on her just buying & cooking the things you eat now. I've noticed that dh has been buying low fat & sugar-free foods on his own lately, which is new. Since I'll be eating this way from now on, I cook whatever, and there's always enough for him as well, but he often will just make his own high cal/high fat stuff. Although it would be a healthier choice for him, he's not ready to eat this way. We're both foodies...love to cook & be creative in the kitchen so it could have been a major problem for me (us) but the arrangement we came up with is that I made up a list of foods that he can't cook or bring into the house b/c I have a really hard time with not eating it, like pizza (drool) or pastries. If he wants it he can eat out and that's how he supports me. He also says good stuff about how I look different already & of course that helps me, too.
Even though it'd be super wonderful to have them join us, we can only expect them to do what they can do to be supportive. Another idea to help her that you might try is some form of activity to help her to get into exercise. It's always fun to have someone to take a walk with, maybe you could start a family tradition for everyone to go for an after dinner stroll or something along those lines. That would also support her quit since they say that it increases endorphins which is suppose to make the nicotine cravings less so I've heard.