Motivational starting 4/30/12: Get Ready

Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivational starting 4/30/12: Get Ready

Am I first today? OK well here goes..

1) plan meals; it works
2) 1200-1300 calories daily
3) 7 glasses H2O
4) write at least one hour daily, no excuses (except DH birthday)
5) meditate
6) stretch
7) gym 3x this week
8) keep track on thread, even at the end of the week when I tend to fall off
9) do not lose temper, be cool

Get ready, week, cause here I come. Anyone coming with me?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Good Morning!

Hope, thanks for getting us started today. I am most definitely coming with you on the Let's Have a Great Week Wagon!

1. 1300 calories or fewer.
2. Eat clean (including but not limited to no trigger foods masquerading as healthy snacks...this means you, frozen yogurt, organic cinnamon cereal, and Annie's organic bunnies!) and follow my pie chart rules.
3. Water, water, everywhere.
4. In bed by midnight during the week.
5. Exercise six times.
6. Take vitamins and supplements.
7. Log everything and check in daily.
8. Work through home and work to-do lists; stay caught up!

I let being busy get the better of me mid-week last week; I need to not do that again. May will be crazy, crazy, and I've got to re-instill my good habits. Weekend was super-productive so I hope I can keep it going.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

After a month of traveling, job hunting, and hoping I stayed on track, I'm FINALLY done and ready to re-absorb myself completely in this journey.

I gained about 4 lbs. over the month - not too bad for a lot of airport and restaurant food. I hope I can lose it quickly - I'm back up over 160 (160.3 this morning) and I had a terrible plateau at 160-ish the first time I hit it. Of course, just when I started to break it was when I needed to start traveling! Oy!

Ah well. This week is going to be all about getting back into habits for me. I'm happy to announce that I've decided to accept a 2-year position in Indiana as a Visiting Assistant Professor at a very well-regarded liberal arts school. I'm happy with my decision - I felt I fit in well there, and I felt I can get two years of great experience with teaching and doing research in the lib-arts environment, so that next time I'm on the market, I can hopefully find a permanent position that's right for me. Had a couple of interviews at tenure-track jobs, but neither of them were right. LOVELY people, but not the right place/program for me.

BF is not looking forward to moving back up in the land of snow and ice, but he's otherwise extremely supportive and happy I've made a choice I'm happy with.

Healthwise, I'm proud I didn't entirely derail, and I've been sort of "keeping an eye" on what habits stuck with me for my month off the track. I totally lost my water intake - I didn't replace it with soda, it just went down, so that's something I must remain conscious about. Everything else was OK - my portion control was pretty good overall (that used to be my biggest problem) and snacking didn't happen except for the peanuts on the plane. Fried foods did sneak in from time to time at restaurants/fast airport food (I admit to Wendy's chicken nuggets!), so I've gotta watch that as my weakness, but overall I chose grilled or blackened over fried whenever I could and substituted fries for something healthier. All good things. Now to just start logging it again and being accountable!

So! Without further ado, my goals for this week:

Food/Exercise/Lifestyle Goals

1) Log everything
2) Calories under 1400 daily. Post number and average.
3) Exercise at least 3 hours this week. Post cumulative numbers.
4) At least 80 oz. of water daily. More is better.
5) Protein between 25-30% daily intake on average
6) In bed by 11:00. No excuses.
7) Limit eating out to 2 lunches and 1 dinner all week (eating out has been creeping back in for both me and BF - need to nip it in the bud. Seems like I need to be the police on this one, so... so be it)
8) Weight M, W, F and post numbers here M: 160.3
9) Take multivitamin

Other Goals

1) Remember the promise I made to myself about work. Follow it.
2) Send out decision notices to all schools I've interviewed with
3) Call grandmother
4) Tackle all laundry
5) Relax and DO NOTHING for at least 30 minutes every evening (I've been starting to have trouble with mild panic attacks again, probably from all the stress and travel. Having unwind time and a routine in the evenings helps this SO MUCH so I need to do it until they are under control)
6) Write one wonderful thing that happens every day.

Feels good to be back Here's to a great week all!

~Terri
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

Hey guys, I'm in for the week. Goals later, gotta run to my final.

But, Terri - welcome back, and major congrats on finding a position you'll be happy with, even if it's not permanent. I have a lot of friends going into the job market post-PhD, and it looks mind-numblingly difficult! I'm not looking forward to it, but thankfully I have a few years.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Terri, congratulations on choosing a position and on getting through the process without going completely nuts! It sounds like you've thought it through well and will be very happy there .
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

I'm in! I am NOT going to go easy on myself this week. In August I'm heading to Miami to meet with family which means swimsuits, tank tops and eating out. I've just realized how close that is and I'm determined to be ready by then.

Diet:
Calorie deficit 600+
Stick to meal plan
Stick to exercise plan
No cereal
8 glasses of water

Life:
Write daily (who cares how much)
Do 1 thing on my chores list, daily
Don't stress
Be positive
Train kitty 2-3 times a week
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, congratulations on what sounds like a great job fit for you!! I know you're going to do well and get great experience!!!

Hey everyone, glad you're joining? Now where are M&M (Mike and Mern)? And where are all you others? (you know who you are, April, Tori, Jho and all my other fellow journey-ers. Amy? You out there, Mama? )

Mern I'm so glad you got things resolves with GD but what a megilla. And they didn't even show up!!

April, are you OK honey?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Hope, Cassie, Joanna -- Thanks much for the congrats!!

I'm okay with a non-permanent position for know. I know that I really want to work in the liberal-arts environment for the long haul (rather than at a big university) but I was lacking in the teaching experience that most positions wanted for tenure-track jobs, so I wasn't surprised to not get many interviews at those types of jobs.

So a really good compromise is to take "Visiting Assistant Professor" positions, which I applied for, and I was really happy and honored to get offers at a couple of really prestigious schools for them - and a 2-year one, which is rare (they're often just one year at a time). They're usually covering for people on sabbatical and the whole point of such positions is to learn how to teach and get classes under your belt before applying for permanent jobs. Most places view them as such - you're mentored through the process and can really focus on the teaching aspects of being at a liberal arts environment with less focus on research and service to the college, which is exactly what I need. I'm viewing it as a real opportunity to flesh out my resume and to take these two years and just run with them - try new things, spend time with my eyes open, learning a lot, and soaking up experience without having to worry about the tenure process, so that when I DO go for a tenure-track job, I'll know what I'm getting into in the lib-arts environment. It's a good thing!! Only bummer is having to do all of the job applications again in two years, BUT, at least I have my job materials (teaching statement, resume, CV, cover letters) already written from the first go-round and I can just update them.

Joanna - it's difficult for sure, and another problem is that people who aren't in academics don't realize that the interview process is different and a day-long or two-day-long affair! Can't tell you how many people didn't understand why I was so tired and mentally sapped, haha!! But the job market seems to be getting at least a little bit better, and once you get through the first couple, you'll have a much better idea of what to expect. The advice I can give you having just gone through it is that patience and persistence are really key. I went through months with no nibbles, but something very good for me came through in the end!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 AM
FitDay Member

I'm here. I didn't completely fall off the wagon this weekend, but it wasn't great either. I up less than a pound for the week, but AF is looming so I'm going to blame her. I'll post goals later.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

I'm in. Keeping pretty much the same goals as last week, but I'm going to try lowering my calories to 1600. If I have lots of red this week I'll go back to 1650.

1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600)
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/Richard Simmons/stationary bike)
3) 20% protein minimum
4) 64oz water minimum
5) calorie deficit 700+
6) take vitamins
7) lights out by 11 the night before (except Sunday night because apparently I'm hooked on Celebrity Apprentice)
8) log all spending daily
9) clean one room of the house each non-work day
10) get out at least one day to work in the garden

I do an "official" weigh in on the last day of every month, as well as on Wednesdays, so I can see how much I lost for the month. And today I met my mini goal! 182! Three 7 pound mini goals met, six to go. AND this brings me to the weight I was right after my son was born, so that means the baby weight is gone and I can get to work on the pregnancy weight (only two and a half years later). Good way to start a new week!

Congrats, Terri, on the job! Sounds like it will be really good for you. What will you be teaching?

I wonder where Luv disappeared to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.