FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Motivational starting 4/30/12: Get Ready (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7263-motivational-starting-4-30-12-get-ready.html)

HardcaorKittyGirl 05-03-2012 01:10 AM

Had a bit of trouble dragging myself out of bed this morning. In my dream I was wearing shorts and the sun was shining but when I woke up it was 2 degrees Celsius with clouds blanketing the sky.:( the temperature is slowly inching upward though.

Mern Nah, ive just been wondering if such a thing exists. It's definetly not in my store, but one of my friends mentioned seeing it on their vacation.

Mern 05-03-2012 01:59 AM

Tori, superglue your fanny to the wagon and hold on tight! Wishing you a good day, too.

HKG, dreams are so amusing at times. I hope it warms up nicely for you today. The peanut butter and jelly together in a jar is Smuckers Goober Peanut Butter and Jelly Stripes. It comes in grape and strawberry flavors. Goober PB & J | Peanut Butter | Smucker's Products | Smucker's

My scheduled days off exercise are Thursday and Sunday, but since I took off Tuesday due to a stressfully busy day, I'm headed to the gym as soon as I post this. I'm going to TRY to get in my five days this week and if I DO, expect tons of kudos from this group. :p

wildbeanerz 05-03-2012 02:32 AM

Health / Fitness Goals ...
1. 100 oz water daily M: Yep, T: Yes, W: Yes,
2. Do not exercise until allowed (there is a way that I will know ;) ) M: Yes :( , T: pulled weeds for an hour - is that exercise?, W: Yes,
3. Have a calorie deficit even without working out M: -937, T: -903, W: +159, Deficit this week so far: -1681
4. Don't fret over the lbs that my body is holding. They are trying to tell me to relax. M: Yeah, T: Mostly, W: Yes,

Life Goals ...
1. Medicine in Macie's ear M: Yes, T: Yes, W: Yes, Th: Yes,
2. Read something M: No, T: Yes, W: No,
3. Don't be too busy to listen to my family. M: Yep, T: Yes, W: Yes,

Yesterday ended up with no deficit. I figured I wasn't done with it was only just after 7 and I was pushing it at that point. Oh well, it's one day. The first day that I have eaten that many calories in a day in a long time. The weird thing is that my scale is down like 3 lbs today. Screwy thing! I still have inflammation from last Friday so I'm not counting on my scale very much this week. I'm going to continue to take it easy(er) through the weekend but come Monday I am not going to do it any more. I am going to have to workout even if I regress and do something easier than the hour long dvd that I have been doing recently. Found out some not so great stuff at my son's special school yesterday so that may have had something to do with last night's eating frenzy. Like I said though, I don't really even feel bad about it. I logged it all, it isn't pretty but it's what I did and I'm done with it now.

Hopefully I can come back later and read all of the posts and be able to comment. I did skim through them and it seems most of us are on track this week. Tori get your butt in the middle of the wagon so you don't fall off. Mike I must have missed the pissy shoe story but today's story was funny too! Mern glad to see you are going to workout today to make up for the unexpected day off Tuesday. You got this! HKG I can't feed anything to my girls that has artificial colors or flavors, animal digest, by-products, beef (unless it's our beef not processed for dogs), and the list goes on & on. I would definitely try the Nature's Miracle. The bottle is white with red lettering. Spray it on and let it for a while. Then spray more on and gently rub the spot. If it has been a little while it may take a few applications but it is designed for cleaning up animal messes and it does work.

taubele 05-03-2012 03:46 AM

Mike: I am missing my important goal! You're such a sweetie to say it comes naturally, though :) I think it was because after all my traveling my makeup and clothes were in a disorganized mess and I think subconsciously I knew I wouldn't be dressed/made up to the nines this week. I added it for you though, and I'll be honest about it. I'm terrible about unpacking after I travel, maybe it'll make me do it! Sorry, but I'm LAUGHING about your boxers-ripping story, lol!!!! BF ripped his suit pants open at a wedding once while 3 (or 4) sheets to the wind, at least you didn't have your goodies out for the world to see! And kudos to you to keep going despite the sudden breeze.

nobe: OUCH on the teeth-through-lips with your son!! I hope he feels better soon!!

Mern: You're always such a sweetie. You always find something to give kudos about even if it feels really small to me, thank you! The ab pull was more uncomfortable than anything, but walking didn't tweak it at all, so we'll see how it feels today if I have the energy to work out after dinner. Great job on your water!

Ama: Love the phrase "if if's and but's were fruits and nuts..." I might have to steal it from you! :) I have an old pulled muscle injury in my left shoulder/neck area that bothers me from time to time too for the same reason, not knowing when to quit. Teenagers, geez!

HCK: I have seen PB + J pre-mixed in a jar. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head, though. Seen chocolate + pb pre-mixed in a jar as well! Never have bought either.

Tori: I've got some extra staples holding my clothes to the wagon, do you need some? :)

Sorry if I missed anyone; I'm a bit spacey this morning! Hugs and ra-ra-ra to all of us!

Food/Exercise/Lifestyle Goals

1) Log everything M: yes, though I did guesstimate on dinner side T: yes W: Too much guesstimating for me to be comfortable with the numbers, but I did log
2) Calories under 1400 daily. Post number and average. M: 1,390 T: 1510 W: 1395 (Average: 1,432)
3) Exercise at least 3 hours this week. Post cumulative numbers. M: No T: 18 minutes (pulled ab) W: 45 minutes slow walking on treadmill (Total: 1 hour 3 minutes)
4) At least 80 oz. of water daily. More is better. M: 80 T: 80 W: Uh....32?
5) Protein between 25-30% daily intake on average M: 29% T: 30% W: 31% (Average: 30%)
6) In bed by 11:00. No excuses. M: No T: close, but no cigar W: No
7) Limit eating out to 2 lunches and 1 dinner all week M: No eating out T: No eating out W: No eating out
8) Weigh M, W, F and post numbers here M: 160.3 W: 158.5
9) Take multivitamin M: yes T: yes W: yes

Other Goals

1) Remember the promise I made to myself about work. Follow it. M: yes, even though it pretty much killed me for awhile there T: did okay W: Petered out at the end of the day
2) Send out decision notices to all schools I've interviewed with M: One out, two more to go T: none W: none
3) Call grandmother M: Briefly T: no W: no
4) Tackle all laundry M: None T: got a big chunk! W: Didn't finish
5) Relax and DO NOTHING for at least 30 minutes every evening M: yes T: yes W: yes
6) Write one wonderful thing that happens every day. M: I got through a drama-filled day at work feeling peaceful and not stressed out at the end of it.
T: Soldiered through a good-intentioned but apparently ill-conceived embarrassing situation
W: Let BF make me sane when I go crazy (I usually tend to shrug him off when he tries)
7) Make an effort on my appearance every day!! (For Mike) M: Meh T: yes W: Meh

Yesterday was a really tiring and de-motivating day all around, but I tried. Squeaked by on the calories according to my estimates, but I need to stop grabbing handfuls of things and shoving them into my mouth. I don't have too much time to chat, but I'm trying to just right my keel today. BF and I are planning a date-night of charcoal grilling on the public grills at our complex, so I'm hoping that it might help me out a little bit in feeling better. Need to remember to stop and pick up some corn tonight!

No idea why I just sort of forgot to drink yesterday. Weird of me.

Happy Thursday everyone

~Terri

Mern 05-03-2012 04:58 AM

April, I'm glad you're not being too hard on yourself for that little 159 calorie surplus. You've a lot of stuff going on and look at all the green in your reports! Big pat on the back for you! Thanks for your encouragement, too. :)

Terri, your Wednesday report had a lot of nice numbers despite your tired and demotivating day. Well done! :) I think each and every small thing we do for our bodies and minds is praiseworthy. Little things add up... :) Thanks for your encouragement on my water yesterday. I sometimes just plain forget to drink my water, too. Made some fresh, unsweetened spearmint iced tea from our garden plants last night, though, and am remembering to drink that today and am counting it as water. I hope your ab pull feels better today. Let us know about that.

Originally Posted by HardcaorKittyGirl (Post 80303)

Mern Microwaves are the staple of my life. I microwave my omelet in the morning, then sometimes I even make soup from scatch in the microwave by putting it all in a blender before heating it up.

HKG, guess what I had for lunch--microwave soup. So fast and easy just as you said and what's great about soup is that you don't need a recipe--just dump and taste. I just weighed and measured what I threw in the blender and wrote it down so I could log it.

amalthea1892 05-03-2012 08:44 AM

I went shopping for a swim suit during my lunch break yesterday. Macy’s had a good selection but $70 for a Miracle suit, and that is just for ½ of a Miracle suit (the top part costs just as much separately)! So I went to Kohl’s where there are much better prices. I ended up with swim shorts and a swim skirt, but no top yet. Can’t say I loved the fit of the bottoms, and I had to go up 2 sizes from my normal pant size just to be comfortable, but not swimming is not an option! Their selection of tops was really sad, so I may just stick to the tankini top I have worn for the last 5+years, until I find one I like.

Yesterday I fell off the wagon and hit my head! After shopping I was craving Panda Express so I pulled through and ordered chow mein and orange chicken… that put me up to 1250 for the day at around 2pm (barely holding on to the tailgate) … then Hubby brings home burgers and fries for dinner after his gym workout. I told him not to get me anything because I would make a salad, but then DS did not eat his cheeseburger and it was staring at me… and then I caved… (aaaand… off I go). I felt like crap last night and the scale was up 2.5lbs this am from the sodium splurge. Ugh! Today I chug water and tonight I’ll make veggie soup (in the microwave because it is my gym night, thanks Kitty!).

Mike – Loved the story, I really needed a good laugh this morning! Is it time to go shopping for boxer briefs? If you get a head-band be sure to get the wrist-bands as well to complete the fab 80’s look!

Terri – I better give you the rest of the quote for posterity sake…”If if’s and buts’ were fruits and nuts we’d all have a Merry Christmas!

Tory – Get back on up there lady, the wagon’s a waitin’. I am right behind you…!

Mern – Love your commitment to working out! YOU ROCK! I was considering bowing out of the gym today because I am so terribly tired (go figure, after yesterday’s binge I should be passed out under the table). BUT – you have inspired me. I’ll be heading to the gym after work today no matter what! And I promise not to park at the Y and take a nap in my car… which I have actually done before…

April – Scale down 3lbs, nice! Even though no deficit yesterday you are doing great for the week! Be careful this week and take good care of you!

Ama

Mern 05-03-2012 10:27 AM

Well, I'll have red for my carbs today due to not checking my food log carefully enough. I forgot I hadn't logged my almonds at 3 net carbs PLUS I accidentally logged my low carb black soybean baked beans as just black soybeans--a difference of 6.6 carbs for the sauce. I'll still be over in carbs, but have plenty of calories left for a nutritious zero carb evening snack of steamed fish and a slice of zero carb low fat cheese. It's Mike's fault for screwing up on logging his bread--mistakes like that are contageous--I'm sure of that.

Ama, it must have been so discouraging spending all that time shopping and then not finding a swim top. When I was young swimwear and pajamas were sold together, not separately as today. Aw, sometimes those cravings just get the best us of and do make us feel bad. I hope the excess sodium washes away quickly. I must confess I'm committed to working out right now only because I have a blood test coming up on May 22 for high cholesterol and triglycerides and exercise (along with diet) is supposed to help reduce those numbers. But after my walk today I found out how to bring up the virtual walking video on the treadmills at the Y, so maybe it'll be more fun tomorrow. I'm glad you got inspired anyway. :p I HAVE resolved, though, to fulfull my pledge of exercising five days this week, making up for taking Tuesday off instead of today. LOL on napping in the Y's parking lot.

amalthea1892 05-03-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 80349)
I must confess I'm committed to working out right now only because I have a blood test coming up on May 22 for high cholesterol and triglycerides and exercise (along with diet) is supposed to help reduce those numbers.

My Hubby has high cholesterol and gets his blood tested a few times each year. Once he purposely had Kentucky fried chicken a few days before a test just to see what it would do to the results and his numbers definately went up! For years he has worked out at the gym several times a week, which definately keeps the results in check, but funny how the food intake can throw it off so bad after just one meal. Good job with sticking to it with the exercise and the nutrition - I am sure that in a few weeks your test results will reflect all your hard-work and dedication!

Mern 05-03-2012 11:46 AM

Ama, kudos to your husband for keeping his cholesterol numbers in check. That's wonderful and really encouraging. I've got both my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers down to the point where they're still higher than normal, but the doc said she wouldn't prescribe meds for anyone with those numbers who is willing to diet and exercise. We ditched my last test results in February that came out unbelievably high because for several days I had been on over-the-counter meds (for seasonal allergies) that contained antihistamine and another ingredient that shouldn't be taken before that test. I had also called before the test to tell the lab tech that I'd taken my vitamin D3 capsules without thinking that morning and she said it was OK. But after the test results came back high I read online it could also skew the test results. I declined a repeat of that test at my last appointment because I knew I'd been good and the results had to be skewed by the meds. And my doc gave me the benefit of the doubt. So this time I'm going to be really careful about meds and supplements before the test. And right now I've got my daily cholesterol intake limit at 250mg. per day. So we shall see... :)

cjohnson728 05-03-2012 12:21 PM

Hey, all.

I know I have been MIA much of the week. I've been reading along as best I can trying to keep up with you. I've really been in a time crunch. The good news is that I've been logging food and have done reasonably well, with the exception of Monday, and I've made time to exercise 3 days so far. Bad news is that I'm sleeping about 5 hours a night, water is hit or miss, and I've completely forgotten my vitamins. :(

I'm working at home tomorrow so hopefully I will have a chance to catch up and be a bit more chatty with you all. Hubby is having a minor procedure done, so he will be here being all pitiful, so I can sit on my laptop and work and keep him company and chat with y'all.

Anyway, I have a dilemma that I want to throw out to you and see if you can give me any advice. It's off topic, and I know I haven't been around to be much of a contributor this week, so I'll put it in white and if you are inclined to read it and have any thoughts, I'd be grateful, but definitely understand if you take a pass on it. It's not a crisis or anything, but there's no easy answer.

As I've been posting, my son's HS tennis team is in the state tournament these past couple weeks. He is a freshman and he made varsity as a starter. He has played most every match and is having a better time than he ever even imagined; he absolutely loves it. They have won two rounds so far in state and the quarterfinals are next weeks. The coaches have set the date to play as next Tuesday. The match will be after school and they have to travel a bit, so it will probably start about 4:30 at the earliest. My son is also in band, and the final concert is the same night. He is supposed to report for that at 6. There is no way he can do that. The concert is mandatory; band is a class and we had to sign the syllabus at the beginning of the semester stating that we understood the certain events and dates that can't be missed. The problem that I have is that today, his coach told him to talk to his band director about playing. I don't feel it's appropriate to put my son in this position. I personally think the coach and the director should resolve this and not put my son in the middle, but that may be me being overprotective (not usually an adjective that applies to me, but I admit I may not be thinking clearly). He is only in 9th grade and will therefore have to deal with this coach and this director for three more years...and he loves both things. He can't skip out on a class requirement, but he feels he can't let his teammates down, either (we have two broken wrists this season and there are no viable substitutes). I sent the coach an email this morning explaining the situation, and his response was to tell my son to talk to his director. What would you guys do? Whether you have kids or not, I really see you all as a valuable and wise resource, so any thoughts would be appreciated!