Notices

Discouraged

Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Discouraged

I was off to a good start. Went down 27 pounds. But lately I have been having a lot of hip/leg/back pain (not sure why) so I have not been working as hard at my Aquacize classes and tonight the scale said that I am back up 18 pounds - SINCE MONDAY! Is that even possible? Monday I weighed in in the morning. Today I weighed at night. That is the only difference I can see. But I do know that I do weigh heavier at night. Especially after supper! Could someone please tell me if I have gained that weight back, or if it "other stuff"?

Very Sad, and Disappointed, and Discouraged
Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM
FitDay Member

Sveva: Something MUST be wrong with your scales! I've never heard of someone gaining that much (or losing it either) in 5 days. Have you used other forms of measuring your progress--like a tape measure or clothing? It sounds like it's time to get a new set of scales.

As for your hip/leg/back pain, you are wise to take it easier with exercise when feeling pain. Fatigue and the burn from lactic acid is one thing. Pain, on the other hand, should never be ignored. If it continues, you might want to visit your healthcare provider.

Keep your chin up girl! You have made wonderful progress. This is just a speedbump along the way. Please keep us posted.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Omg! I agree with Built, something HAS to be wrong with your scale. I have never heard of that. You dont feel like you gained 18lbs, right?

Don't be discouraged. You have some pain cause you have been working so freaking hard! You have lost 27lbs and that is awesome. You are doing so good. You have nothing to be discouraged or depressed about. Go Girl!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

change the batteries in your scale and see what happens..mine used to be really wonky..so I bought a new one.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, I agree your scales are wonky. A couple of years ago I bought a Weight Watchers scale. We really like it because it zeros and calibrates every time you get on it. I not sure how accurate it really is, but it's in agreement with the Wii Fit Balance board, and I've not had any surprises on the doctor's office scale, so I'm guessing it's dead on or nearly so.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

The only way you've gained that much that quickly is if you're retaining fluid. Are your ankles swollen? Take it easy, do some stretches, and keep up on the nutrition until you can get back on the exercise wagon. Sometimes I have to let the body rest even when I don't want to be "down", because if I don't give the body what it needs when it needs it, I waste more time and energy on the fight than if I just woulda taken a few days off.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 PM
FitDay Member

WOW! Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting so many responses in such a short amount of time.

So, I believe the scales are wrong (I use the ones at the gym) because tonight there was a sign saying it was out of order.

As for not feeling like I have gained, I really don't know. I have SO MUCH to lose that 27 pounds will not be seem very readily. I did, however, wear a dress to DD's band concert last night that I have not been able to wear in 2 years!

I am taking it slow over the weekend. There are no classes over the weekend, so I will just be treading water/swimming at my own pace. Tonight I did some of the exercizes we do in class on my own. Ones that do not bother my hip/leg. Mainly ab and arm work. Gotta do something so I do not lose my momentum!

If it is not better after the weekend I am going to call my Dr and make an appointment to see him.

Once again, thank you so much everyone!