Notices

Cravings are a B***h!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

Red face Cravings are a B***h!!!

Hello Ladies or Gentlemen. I am new to the whole weight loss, lifestyle change deal and I dont want anything to sabotage this. When I am at work, I get this crazy midday cravings for everything and I dont know how to handle them. I work at a grocery store too and its sooooo easy to grab something fatty, greasy, but delicious. How do you suppress them and keep them in line? Any tips? Thank you so much guys. Best wishes to everyone.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default hopefully helpful tips!

hi, i am new to this lifestyle change also. one of the few helpful tips is that whenever i am at home and i start getting those tricky cravings, i just chew on ice cubes. for some reason, my body feels as though it is eating (maybe becuase i am chewing) and i do not feel bad since it is water. if you have sensitive teeth, i just grab an apple and cute it into small pieces. i take my time chewing each piece, and by the time i am down to the last piece i feel satisfied. ultimately, for me it comes down to the actual act of chewing which kicks those cravings away for me. if i have a craving, i give my body something it needs rather then something too fatty. hopefully this helps you kick those cravings!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by TiaShizzle
Hello Ladies or Gentlemen. I am new to the whole weight loss, lifestyle change deal and I dont want anything to sabotage this. When I am at work, I get this crazy midday cravings for everything and I dont know how to handle them. I work at a grocery store too and its sooooo easy to grab something fatty, greasy, but delicious. How do you suppress them and keep them in line? Any tips? Thank you so much guys. Best wishes to everyone.
Tia, Welcome! A lot of us have times during the day or, in my case, evening, when cravings rear their head. Especially at the beginning of changing our eating habits! Here's what works for me:
  • Eating SMALL mini meals (portion size the size of my clenched fist or a deck of cards) containing a protein and complex carb every 2.5 - 3 hours
  • Drinking at least 10 cups of water throughout the day (be ready to visit the potty more frequently)
  • Limiting sugar so as not to spike my insulin and set myself up for a roller coaster ride
  • chewing sugarless gum with xilitol (I like Spry brand) Though some studies show that chewing too much gum can produce excess stomach acid leading to bloat and causing the stomach to be in constant "digest mode", it works for me
  • Keeping myself honest by logging my food intake on fitday
  • Sharing on the forums or just reading them to keep my mindset in check (obvious that's during free time and not on the job)
  • Allowing myself to have a "treat" once a week to keep my sanity

I'm sure others have some good ideas to share as well. Good luck--take it one day at a time. It does get easier as time goes on!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks so SO much guys for yalls amazing tips! Now I am so ready to conquer my epic cravings. Lol.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Making sure you have protein in meals / snacks also keeps you feeling more satisfied; the other thing I would suggest is to not tell yourself that anything is forbidden forever, because that will only make you crave it more. Instead, see what you can substitute, like grilled chicken for fried chicken, baked potato wedges for french fries; it's just as delicious and if you can hang on for a few weeks and change your habits, the fried and greasy stuff will no longer appeal to you.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

You might want to make a list of all the things you can grab at the store that are "okay". At home I have some 94% fat free micro popcorn bags. When I've had enough of the fight I make some corn and even if I eat the whole bag (and I do) it's only like 100 calories or some such. My other ace is to have a caramel flavored Greek yogurt and dip apple slices into it. The apples help to fill me up and the caramel yogurt is loaded with protein so I feel full longer. I actually plan on a snack every afternoon, and I plan on one that's low-fat, yummy, crunchy and low-cal. So don't fight the munchies, just make good choices and give in to the urge.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

Cravings do lessen with time. I plan for a morning and an afternoon snack, piece of fruit and string cheese, or a yogurt, or a few nuts, gotta have both fiber and protein. My no-calorie "trick myself into thinking I've had a snack" is a cup of tea. I have a whole cabinetful-green tea, herbal teas, earl grey. I also try to distract myself from it, because cravings hit me when I'm bored. I find something to clean or go on the computer if I'm home. If I can distract myself, often the craving goes away.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I am a big tea person, too, Lizzie. It's been great in the winter but I will have to do something else when summer comes! Maybe iced teas...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
FitDay Member

I had a really good day today. So far, eating small meals throughout the day is really working. Who would have thought eating would help you lose weight. Lol. Thanks for all the advice ladies.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I am a big tea person, too, Lizzie. It's been great in the winter but I will have to do something else when summer comes! Maybe iced teas...
In the summer I munch cherry tomatoes straight off the vine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.