Notices

A new realization...

Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default A new realization...

I've always dieted in the past, I never really took it 100% seriously. I was never really overweight till now I'm considered morbidly obese. I've always been able to just lose weight pretty fast when I wanted to cut foods out of my diet. As I've gotten older it's a lot harder, I am actually reading the nutritional information on packages and it scares the hell out of me how much sodium and how many calories I was putting into my body in a day.
I'm on day 5 of losing 100 pounds and keeping my calorie intake under 1400 daily and it's not too bad because I can substitute chips and baked goods with fruits and veggies and I stopped baking all together.
I'm at a point now where I've baked and cooked for my family for 20years, and I took comfort in it. Proud to whip something up that everyone just raved over, but now what do I do?? So I'm at that point in my life right now. Not sure what to do with myself because I've spent the last 20 years in the kitchen cooking or baking.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
FitDay Member

Location: Born in Deutschland Now I reside in the East Coast of the USA

There are really delicious and healthy recipes that are fun to make, and rewarding too! I've always found cooking to be relaxing, as my mother has as well! It keeps us up and moving, and it brings satisfaction to those who consume. When people get older, they become more open to new foods. Why don't you look up some healthy recipes that look appealing to you and others? You would be surprised how easy it is. Whip a bunch of recipes up and see what works and what doesn't! More excuses to cook!

Try to stay away from processed foods. Those are a huge no no. Make it natural!

Another important thing,
Add some workout into your life! It doesn't have to be overly intense! Just something you feel comfortable with. Any added activity in your life will give you reason to have a higher calorie intake anyway, and it will give you more to do!
Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I second that! I really renewed my love for cooking after getting healthy. I re-worked some old recipes to make them lighter and searched out new ones like a woman on a mission. Cooking Light magazine's website is a good one, and I pulled a bunch of recipes from Prevention and Shape magazine websites as well. Weight Watchers has some good ones, too. The more you get into it, the excitement will come back. It's one thing to make something people swoon over; it's even better to make something they swoon over AND can feel good about eating !
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
FitDay Member

I totally agree with Cassie, I make a game out of it trying to find recipes that absolutely know one would believe are within my calorie counts. Doesn't always work but it is a challenge trying.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

You could always just keep doing what you are doing and save the 'regular' cooking for volunteer work with church hospitality or volunteering at a soup kitchen. Keep the two worlds separate, so to speak. Whenever you volunteer, do the cooking there, not from your home kitchen. That way, you don't deal with all the leftover ingredients and extra related items.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah, i've been researching different recipes that are healthier. I figure I can fill my time with trying new recipes, since I do like to cook. I've also been fiddling with the idea of baking sweets that are good for you, low calorie and low fat but that taste good also. I feel comfortable cooking and baking I love it, I also have a bit of social phobia so I don't really get out as much now that I'm not working. But I have been entertaining the idea of volunteering, feeling needed and making some sort of difference is very important for me. Thank you guys.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Yup, same here! Love to bake and cook! Step back and look why. Was the baking and cooking "for others" or was it also for yourself? Is/was it a mask? Get a little selfish, cook YOUR food, for YOU. So what if the other eaters pick at it and don't like it. It's your turn for a while.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Stay in the kitchen sister, there are very few good foods out there that come pre-packaged.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mumzeemania
I've always dieted in the past, I never really took it 100% seriously. I was never really overweight till now I'm considered morbidly obese. I've always been able to just lose weight pretty fast when I wanted to cut foods out of my diet. As I've gotten older it's a lot harder, I am actually reading the nutritional information on packages and it scares the hell out of me how much sodium and how many calories I was putting into my body in a day.
I'm on day 5 of losing 100 pounds and keeping my calorie intake under 1400 daily and it's not too bad because I can substitute chips and baked goods with fruits and veggies and I stopped baking all together.
I'm at a point now where I've baked and cooked for my family for 20years, and I took comfort in it. Proud to whip something up that everyone just raved over, but now what do I do?? So I'm at that point in my life right now. Not sure what to do with myself because I've spent the last 20 years in the kitchen cooking or baking.
I do Atkins (because it works, and because it helped keep my blood sugar under control for 30 years). I low-carb family favorites--and my family eats low carb along with me. It's not hard. If I want something baked, I do a single-serving orange cake: 2 TBS flaxmeal, 2 TBS almond flour, 2 tsp coconut oil, 1 packet of truvia, 1 tsp orange extract, 1 egg...mix together. Microwave for about a minute and a half. If I want it to be sweet, I make frosting with butter, cream cheese, and orange extract.

I also make low-carb cheesecake and other dessert items, BUT we do dessert no more than once a week (as a family). I can often get by with making one dessert every 5 or 6 weeks. What we don't eat the first sitting, I portion out into single-serving containers and freeze (except for the cheesecake--not good frozen).
Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

We did the mom thing and now it's time to get a little selfish. it's tough dieting and cooking for the family. portion out the leftovers, or make sure there arent any. the biggest thing I found was to not have food on the counters- those cookies THEY want, cover them with foil, or even a dish towel. We know how to cook a good meal, and even more now- everything we eat will be the best. Feel clueless about dinner?? take Fitday and program in your dinner plan, before you start- you will have a clearer picture of what to cook, what you will chose to make for them, but substitute for yourself. have the family meal, then clean the kitchen-put it all away. make containers of legal portions for future meals. trust me- as you shrink, you will see how proud your family is of you. after I lost 50 lbs it was weird....people didnt recognise me, after I quit going to the plus size department, it was like being in forbidden territory. Our lives always change, so I'm back again regained 30 of mine with menopause and lack of exercise. You know what? I bet we are the best fitday'rs here- I'm tracking every crumb. it's nice to look good in clothes, but the motive is to be able to move and live a healthy retirement. Get busy and take care of yourself- your family will love you for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.