Notices

Lady Parts Science?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

Question Lady Parts Science?

Anyone have a clue what effect menopause has on metabolism?

I adjusted my age to account for surgically induced menopause and the effect that I imagine it has on metabolism, but if anyone has relevant info based on something more science-y than my imagination, I'd love to be enlightened.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

I know this comment isn't exactly what you were looking for (if I knew, I would tell you ), but your metabolism will slow less if you maintain muscle tissue, so hit those weights!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Cassie.

Appreciate the input.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

menopause also leads to decreased bone density. weight bearing exercises can help restore or maintain bone density. Again not what you're looking for re metabolism but something to keep in mind.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Most of us think of metabolism as the rate at which we burn calories. That’s only part of the story. Metabolism is the breakdown of metabolic fuels we have in the diet. To help it you need to drink a lot of water, eat small balanced meal's, and to eat often. When your body is going through hormonal changes it can a effect your mood, attude, and your weight loss ability. If your on different medications this can also affect these thing as well. Some medication's make you sick and lose weight and some will make feel great but make it hard to lose weight. It really depends on you and your body. No one is the same and trying to tell you how is going to effect you is impossible, I'm sorry to say. There is no scientific way to figure it out your going to go to the doctor often and keep doing great thing's for your body. See how you can lose weight. I know this is not the answer you where looking for but it the only one I can come up with for you , sorry.

My advice is
to go to the doctor once a month
Keep a good diet (a lots of fruits, vegs, and protein)
exercise once to twice a week
And last but not least, take a muilt-vitamin for women

Sorry couldn't help any more than this, hope this helps.
Good luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM
FitDay Member

More accurately, metabolism is used as a general term for all chemical reactions in the body that manage material and energy. There's anabolism, in which energy is consumed to synthesize complex molecules from simpler ones, and then catabolism, in which energy is created by the breakdown of complex molecules to simpler ones. Our "metabolic rate" or what we refer to as metabolism combines both of those to get an energy reading of the total anabolic pathways in our body!

School lesson aside, a study in 1997 found that postmenopausal women had a HIGHER energy expenditure than premenopausal women, however once activity level and body composition was taken into effect, there was no significant difference- meaning that the study supported *no change* in metabolic rates. I'll keep searching for more reports for you and let you know if I find any!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to you all.

Much appreciated.