Notices

Weight gain during periods

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weight gain during periods

Hi everyone, I'm new here!
I was just wondering if any of you gain weight during your periods without eating more - also, for myself, it would seem like my body even becomes slightly bigger! ...All to say, as soon as my periods stop, everything goes back to normal practically overnight... Do any of you experience such dramatic change during your menstrual cycle? Is it only water weight?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default Absolutely!

I definitely gain a significant amount during the week of my period. In fact, I don't even weigh myself at all during that week because even though I know it's fluids and will come off quickly as soon as that time of the month is over, I still get discouraged. I just concentrate on staying on track with my eating/exercise during that week and wait to see what the scales says a week later.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for sharing! In the past, I have often felt bloated during that time of month, however, I had never experienced such drastic water retention! Like you, I (now!) am certain that it is only fluids! I was a little worried that it had something to do with my diet/training/drinking water or something...
Again, many thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there
I find that its the week before my period that i hold water and feel heavier plus im usually constipated for 2-3 days before it starts- i crave bread and salty foods too in that week which isnt good. Then when the period starts and i get weighed in the same week i lose a good amount of weight.
Just stay on track- keep exercising and eating well and i remember being told that drinking fluids also helps. Its just good that it doesnt last forever and when it passes we back to normal for a few weeks.