Notices

Why don't people like this answer?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
If it's something complicated, people have an excuse not to do it.

If it's easy and you choose not to, there's no excuse and you have to take a long, hard look at yourself and ask why you aren't doing it.

It's hard to take that long, hard look sometimes.
I wish there were a "Like" button to click.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fit4luv
OK - I just had to go look at my MV. Mine has magnesium! Yipppee & Yea!!!

People really don't know what they are putting in their bodies unless they log in their food, like on FitDay, right? Is that the crux of what you're saying?
Yes, that's the bottom line. How much Magnesium are you getting? And what brand? You know there's new research indicating that the RDA is too low and people should be getting 500 mg a day, not 400-420. When I first started tracking I discovered I was woefully short. I was getting around 200 mg a day, and that's WITH my multi.

Since I've been taking a separate supplement (Magnesium Citrate) and eating carrots, popcorn, and pumpkin seeds daily I'm averaging around 600 mg/day which is what one needs if they're doing a lot of cardio, which I'm doing. I no longer feel tired any more and I sleep better. Both can be attributed to proper amounts of Mg in the diet.

New research indicates that Magnesium should be about half of the Calcium RDA, which is set at 1200 mg.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

'In my opinion, this is a major flaw in WW.' (lack of attention to magnesium)

If WW recommends a daily multi-vitamin, that's as adventurous as they are going to get. They aren't going to go out on a limb and disagree with what is recommended for the RDA. As I said, those recommendations are changing for vitamin D (within the medical community) and so that has been discussed. But WW doesn't claim to be your cutting-edge source for new nutritional information. They would say, 'Discuss this with your doctor.'

It's a support group, basically, explaining calorie-reduction (don't eat more than your limit and exercise more). That all gets fit into a 45 minute meeting in which members' problems and successes are discussed. The topic of each week is the same across the U.S. (and perhaps other countries) and the group leaders go by the topic. This means that when you miss your usual meeting, you can go to any other meeting (no charge, that's included in your membership fee) and get the topic of that week. You can go to as many meetings as you want but you are only weighed once (that weight goes into a computer that puts it online for you to access when you sign in to the WW website).

So what you think WW should do- take a stance for more magnesium, for example - will happen when the medical community changes the RDA. Then that information will likely be spread through meetings the way the topic of Vitamin D spread through meetings - as the topic of the week.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Point taken, Kathy. Just to be clear, I think WW is a wonderful plan but it does have some flaws as I pointed out.

It's more of a philosophical difference I suppose. The old "discuss that with your doctor" means nothing to me. Doctor's are not proactive, they are reactive. That is how they are trained. This is why I don't trust them, nor respect them for anything more than surgeries/repairing broken bones, etc. They pump people full of pharmaceutical drugs that have a multitude of side effects, and I suspect that many are in bed with the industry. So the old "discuss that with your doctor" goes nowhere with me and I think more people today are waking up to this reality.

With FitDay, one knows how much Magnesium they are getting daily, it's not a guessing game. They can assume they are not deficient, then they can have blood work done to confirm it, along with everything else. The difference is, with WW, they don't know if they are getting adequate amounts or even too much. That's all I'm saying.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rubystars
One woman told me "Oh, I couldn't do that" My thought was really? Are you so stupid you can't do addition? Of course I didn't say that. I just told her as far as I knew there was no other way.
Simply put... people want to change, but they don't want TO change!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb You guys keep on stretching my knowledge base . . .

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Yes, that's the bottom line. How much Magnesium are you getting? And what brand? You know there's new research indicating that the RDA is too low and people should be getting 500 mg a day, not 400-420. When I first started tracking I discovered I was woefully short. I was getting around 200 mg a day, and that's WITH my multi.

Since I've been taking a separate supplement (Magnesium Citrate) and eating carrots, popcorn, and pumpkin seeds daily I'm averaging around 600 mg/day which is what one needs if they're doing a lot of cardio, which I'm doing. I no longer feel tired any more and I sleep better. Both can be attributed to proper amounts of Mg in the diet.

New research indicates that Magnesium should be about half of the Calcium RDA, which is set at 1200 mg.
OK - just wanted to be sure I was understanding correctly. Sometimes I'm a bit slow. My kids laugh at me when I get my words "up-mixed".

I'm using Centrum 1 tablet daily. Magnesium is 100 mg. Yikes! So that means I should be eating about 500 mg/day and/or supplement more.

ETA: I looked at my log for the last couple days. I've gotten 250mg & 225 mg Magnesium thru eating. Today my intake of Magenesium is 280 mg through food. Doesn't quite make the grade, does it?!

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Nice quoatable quote.

Last edited by fit4luv; 03-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Great post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fit4luv

ETA: I looked at my log for the last couple days. I've gotten 250mg & 225 mg Magnesium thru eating. Today my intake of Magenesium is 280 mg through food. Doesn't quite make the grade, does it?!

Nope. Woefully short. As most people are I suspect. Magnesium is one of the most difficult minerals to get in the diet, right behind Potassium.

This link is very helpful: Magnesium Update

I suggest Magnesium Citrate as a supplement. It's very bioactive.

This link with help with natural sources of Mg, but even with a healthy 2500 calorie/day diet it's STILL difficult to get the proper amount of Magnesium:

Top 10 Foods Highest in Magnesium

Sorry about hijacking the thread, Rubystars, but this was extremely important information.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

'So the old "discuss that with your doctor" goes nowhere with me and I think more people today are waking up to this reality.'

I actually have a magnesium supplement that I take randomly. My doctor (whom I trust) is on the vitamin D bandwagon. He's been testing my levels now, as many doctors have adapted and started testing for that vitamin, and finally I'm at the bottom of the normal range! After maybe two years!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
'So the old "discuss that with your doctor" goes nowhere with me and I think more people today are waking up to this reality.'

I actually have a magnesium supplement that I take randomly. My doctor (whom I trust) is on the vitamin D bandwagon. He's been testing my levels now, as many doctors have adapted and started testing for that vitamin, and finally I'm at the bottom of the normal range! After maybe two years!
Sounds like you've got a good doctor. They're not all bad, obviously. But trust is something that needs to be earned with me from a doctor.

I've heard more horror stories that I can account from friends who have been misdiagnosed and just randomly pumped full of pharmaceuticals.

And yeah, sometimes it takes years to restore proper levels of a vitamin/mineral deficiency. I think after 6 months of magnesium supplementation I'm finally started to really notice an improvement in my energy level.

It's good about your doc and Vitamin D. He sounds like one of the good ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.