Notices

Who's got just 10-15 Pounds?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Banned

last week 170.2, current wt 166.8....yippee
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats, Becca... sounds like your having a great week!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Chris, it definitely looks like you have it all on track now - nice! Oh boy, the insulin injections would certainly be enough to get back on the losing track

It seems to me once I got the hang of FitDay, planning out my meals, and some experience in what foods keep me full w/o adding lots of calories, it is relatively easy to keep on track. But I do have to keep focused on the goal, otherwise I will head off on some undesired side rail.

Becca - whooo hoooo - good going girl! Keep it up.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone, I've got about 7 pounds to go. I'm 4.5 weeks postpartum and the 7 pounds is what's left after all the "baby stuff" exited after the first week. Now the "work" begins! I'm exclusively breastfeeding which in theory should slowly lose the weight but my problem is I tend to overeat because I'm hungry all the time and also b/c I'm kind of bored with my unstructured days at home resting and taking care of baby.

People say I "look great" but most of my pre-preg pants won't even go on over my hips and butt! Wishful thinking says it's all b/c my bones haven't moved back but I'm sure those 7 pounds aren't all breasts!

So more than the scale, being able to put on my pants will be a big milestone!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome ruby peanut.... We are rooting for you!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
FitDay Member

2 Questions:
How many calories should I eat a day, if I'm burning 2500. Is 1200 enough or 1500?

Also, It says that I should be eating at least 225g carbs a day, but I'm finding it hard to reach that amount, I usually have about 180. If I eat more than that, my calories for the day will increase to 2000. Is it okay to eat less carbs than is recommended?

How many calories do you ("anyone, anyone") take in a day on this program and do you find it hard to get enough carbs to match your daily requirement?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by megan5555
2 Questions:
How many calories should I eat a day, if I'm burning 2500. Is 1200 enough or 1500?

Also, It says that I should be eating at least 225g carbs a day, but I'm finding it hard to reach that amount, I usually have about 180. If I eat more than that, my calories for the day will increase to 2000. Is it okay to eat less carbs than is recommended?

How many calories do you ("anyone, anyone") take in a day on this program and do you find it hard to get enough carbs to match your daily requirement?

Hi Megan,
Here is what seems to be working for me. My maintence calories are about 1800 at ~135lbs. On running days I typically burn about 2300 and something less on lifting and yoga days. For this last 10lb push I have been shooting for bwt 1000 and 1200 calories and doing just fine. This gives me a deficit between 600 and 1300... depending.

A couple of years ago, when I lost the majority of my weight, I was doing a bit more running and not much lifting, the diet I was on called for 1200 cals. Some days I had a little less energy than others but all in all I was fine.

The one thing I would comment on is the carbs. Regardless of what "it" says, 200g is on the high side for a 145lb woman. I know there are different philosphies out there, but my experience has been that the lower my carb intake is, the more successful my weight loss has been - even with all of the activities I do. Albeit, I am on a low-carb regime right now, I am trying to keep carbs less than 100 and almost all of those are from fruits and veggies. I would say that 150 is plenty, especially if they are from whole food sources, not sugar and refined grains.

BTW, both of my Dr's. and a nutritionist have told me that the 1200 calorie minimum recommended by the ADA is based on an AVERAGE woman, and believe me girl, you and I are way outside of the average. Athough I don't recommend it for several reasons (mostly serious limits in foods - can't live on salads forever), I have eaten as few as 600 calories for a week or more, and 1000 cal. for extended periods and have yet to experience the "starvation mode" that others will warn you about.

That being said, it really does depend on you. You have to do a little experimenting with your own body. But try not to let the extremists at either end of the spectrum scare you from trying something a little different.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Just catching up - sounds like everyone is doing great. I'm trying to get outta my rut. I just read Pam's post, and I have to add my 2 cents. I definitely experience a "starvation mode" if I cut my calories too low. I lose a few pounds and then my weight will stabilize. If I eat less, my body just adjusts to needing less. There's nothing more frustrating than eating less and GAINING weight! I do much better with a moderate restriction most days, with some low cal days (less than 1000) and some high cal days thrown in about every 2 weeks. I am in perimenopause, which is interesting and I don't know whether to wish it would end soon or be glad that I still have to worry about all the complications.

Last edited by nottango; 03-19-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added a bit more.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Hi everyone,

I just came back after a long hiatus. I'd like to lose 10 or so pounds.

I'm Peri-menopausal and hypo-thyroid....ugh......I'm at a strong set point of 136ish but things have shifted. I'm back in my bigger jeans and don't want to have to buy a larger size.

I don't know if this is doable. Any thoughts from those in this position? I workout but it's pretty light due to joint issues.

The "new" fitday is interesting. Although it's probably just new to me. I don't know when the changes were made.

I'm Lower Carb and sort of Paleo.

Thanks for your help.....I look forward to checking in with all of you.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Pam, I am relieved to hear that you only take in around 100-150 g of carbs a day. For me to take in the required minimum of 225g , I would have to eat way more than I really need. It’s hard enough to keep the Fat calories down, a constant struggle for me, this is good to hear! And I agree, that we are not the “Average” at the age we are, so we have to experiment with what we as individuals need.
I’ve been a Fit Day member for a couple of years , on and off, and have had little success with losing weight. Now I’m getting serious by joining this Discussion Group to get help, thank you for your input, it has helped me a lot!

And Nottango, You're right its all balance, you have to find it for yourself, by not eating too little.....or your metabolism will adjust to your intake by slowing down. Not what I want either, My body is already slowing down being in menopause myself, so I need to adjust to my body not needing as many calories as when I was 25. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.