Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
congrats!!!
ummmm... I had caps for my eyes.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Lizards13
Remember ladies today is 29 Feb so if you want to propose to your loved one, today's the day.

Actually I did propose to my husband on Sadie Hawkins day! I figured he'd never get around to it.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

Very quick catch-up:

Just had my conference with the doc this morning on my tryglyceride reading last week being suspicious after the two before that showing marked improvement through my diet and omega-3 fish oil supplement. We agreed to just let this reading slide as questionable and do another test in three months. I gave her the package listing the ingredients of that over-the-counter sinus medication I took for 2 1/2 days before the test--antihistamine, nasal decongestant & pain reliever. She said "Well that plus the vitamin D3 the day of the test could possibly give a false reading, but I can't say how much." She was very complimentary on my blood sugar being totally normal again and gave me a lot of props for reversing my pre-diabetes with diet alone. BUT I've regained 14 pounds since August and when she asked me what happened, I told her I knew I couldn't blame that on the antihistamine --told her it was from lack of willpower, slacking on exercise, slacking on water, lack of portion control. She is wonderful--instead of giving me a lecture, she gave me a big smile and asked, "So what's your plan of attack on the weight issue?" She kept smiling as I spouted off the list of things that both she and I know works for me and she had no additions to or subtractions from that list. She has a demeanor about her that tells me she's not trying to embarrass me, but to give me the tools and the guidance I seek to improve my health. I really hit it lucky when I found her last year.

Nice side note: when talking about my calcium today (blood test says is very good) doc mentioned "Not only was your last bone density test normal, it was WONDERFUL!" That was really encouraging to me since my mom wound up in a wheel chair from osteoporosis and they couldn't even do a hip replacement because her bones were so brittle there was no place for any pins to hold.

Terri, OMG, I so empathize with you over your Dad and the complications he's experiencing due to his uncontrolled diabetes. My little sister has all kinds of complications with her type II diabetes. She takes meds and it's not enough--but she admits it's her own fault. She says she is addicted to carbs, but due to her life being stressful, she is not willing to give up the pleasure of binging on pastries on a daily basis. She doesn't want to hear about low carb substitutes for them, either. I'm trying what you are--to keep loving her, telling her so, and trying to lead by example, but her response when I tell her about controlling my blood sugar through diet is: "Wow, that's great, I'm really happy for you and proud of you, but it's not for me." Huge low carb hug to ya!

Quinn, I told my little sister two nights ago that it makes me sad she is not willing to curb her eating to control her diabetes, but I know that just as no one could nag me into quitting smoking, I can't nag her into curbing her eating habits. I eventually quit smoking when I was ready--I pray she will someday soon be ready to take control of her diabetes. I plan on continuing to gently and persistentently report my future good blood sugar test results to her.

Joanna, congrats on a good start yesterday. How'd your midterm go today?

Kim, I visited your website about your diving. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Mike, so sorry 'bout your back acting up again. Any more epidurals on the horizon?

Shalafi, welcome!

Amy, OMG, I hope your fingers heal quickly!

Hope, my heart goes out to you on the fibromyalgia.

Darlene, I hope your life calms down so you can join in this week.

Pam, it was great to read that you enjoyed that train trip and skiing so much. Good luck on the 10 lb. challenge. LOL on proposing to your husband--nothing wrong with that! My husband proposed to me while chewing on a pork chop. Well he didn't actually propose, he just took for granted I'd marry him and just said out of the clear blue (we weren't even TALKING about our relationship) "Well, we'll get married in a couple months." Romantic, eh? LOL

Luv, glad you're feeling better this week!

Lizzie, I wasn't a huge fan of the Monkees, but Davy Jones was a real cutie pie and a very talented singer. He always struck me as being a very kind person.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM
FitDay Member

MERN ~ I was wondering about your blood tests. Overall pretty good visit! Your Dr seems like a reasonable professional. Yea for Doctors like that! Yup, that weight thing . . .well, that's why most of us are here, right?

TORI ~ Remember all that royal purple that you're chalking up! Keep on keepin' on! I need to exercise yet tonight.
I'll come back later to post when my exercise is done & to see what your results are - Deal?

ETA: I'll do 2 mile walk plus Strenth Train for ABD/Back.
OK -- On to it!

Last edited by fit4luv; 02-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Wednesday Check-In:

1. Take ALL vitamins and supplements. Yes, Yes, Yes
2. 80 oz. of water a day, or more. Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Calories ALWAYS under 1200. 1085, 1402, 1004
4. Walk, weather permitting... nasty winter storm coming in mid-week. No time today. Winter storm... going to snow for the next 6 days! No, 17" of snow!
5. NO bread... nothing, nada, zilch. 0, 0, 0, 0
6. Minimum 3 fruits and veggies a day, preferably more. 3, 4, 4
7. One 1 hour nap/relaxation period each day. (Need to recharge the 'ol batteries... ) No time today, Yes, Yes

Well, the storm is over and the official snow total is 17"!!!! AND... the county didn't plow out my road yet! UGH!!!! My husband drove my Nitro into the driveway tonight plowing through the snow up to the headlights. I don't remember a storm this bad in a long, long time. Glad it's over and hope it melts quickly.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
ummmm... I had caps for my eyes.
eeehh get over it Seriously though CONGRATS! (there. caps, underlined AND italicized. feel better? )

MERN--good to see you lady! Woohoo on your test results! I've also been really blessed with understanding doctors. My endocrinologist always mentioned my weight but said one day that when I was sick and tired of being sick and tired that I would make the change. She was right.

Quinn--I think our county and entire region would shut down if we got 17" at one time. We do good to get our main roads plowed, much less rural roads.

Luv--I got my walk in, going to do the yoga in a little bit. Right now, I'm going to find something for supper.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Luv, yes, my doc IS a reasonable professional. When I mentioned my low carb protein shakes she wanted to know why I use them and I told her mainly I use them as snacks between meals because it helps keep me from eating carby junk food and satisfies my sweet tooth. She told me she's not crazy about protein shakes, but she'd rather I drink those than fill my stomach with snack cakes, and just be sure to have no more than 2 per day because she's concerned about too much fat and too much protein. She likes the idea that I found an online support group, too and I gave our group a lot of praise for helping me so much the past year.

Quinn, you've done a great job on your goals all this week so far! Wow--that was some snow storm! Hope you all get plowed out soon! We had springlike weather in Ohio today--got to the mid 60s!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
FitDay Member

Tori, hi! Thanks for your woohoo on my test results. So glad your endo is understanding and supportive. It goes a long way in encouraging us to take charge eventually, I think.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
FitDay Member

I had read several places on the Internet about avocado and olive oil being effective for helping to reduce triglycerides because of being "good fats." I've been eating half a Haas avocado and a tablespoon of olive oil daily. I just figured as long as they fit into my daily food limits and targets, the more, the better.

But my doc is of the opinion I should use them sparingly because of the calories and the total fat content, even if most of it is monounsaturated fat. She thinks they have little value in reducing triglycerides and instead could cause weight gain and higher cholesterol at the rate I've been eating them.

I HAVE had experience with people preaching to me that I'm wrong to not eat bananas and black beans because they're "good carbs," but they're horrible carbs for me since I can eat only 25g net carbs all day to maintain my blood sugar at a normal level.

So what I'm learning is that just like there is no one size fits all diet, there are no one size fits all foods, either.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
FitDay Member

Calling it an early night away from the comp. I Hope everyone had a great day and woot, gratz to all who are keeping to the challenge!

Health/Fitness
1-calories at least 1000 no more than 1100 M: 851, T: 770, W: 926
2-64 oz water a day- Yeah This mite be the biggest challenge for me! M:24,T:48, W: 48
3-stick to new work out schedule- Finish lvl 2 of 30 day shred on Monday start lvl 3 tuesday for the next 10 days. *flex* I can do it, or die trying.M:Y,T:Y, W:Y
4-Post and Blog daily M:Y,T:Y,W:Y
5- Roller blade at least every other day min of 30mins M:Y T: n/a, W:N
Life/Home
1- clean out garage!!!! M:N,T:N,W:N

Better today in some ways.

Breakfast- Greek yogurt and blueberries
Coffee

lunch- hard boiled egg, ham, cheese and mushrooms

Snack: Apple, crystal light

Dinner- turkey sandwich on lite wheat with tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese and lettuce. side of brussels sprouts

after dinner- coffee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.