Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread... Who's In? >

7 Day Motivational Thread... Who's In?

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread... Who's In?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
so mean!!!! (tearing up just a lil bit)

Up and headed in for breakfast and then some cemetery touring. Hopefully my ankles won't swell like they did yesterday.
Mean? I thought it was hilarious and for the record my phone does not have scratch and sniff capabilities but I'm uploading that app the second it becomes available, I might even pay for it.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
Amy, I am going for a BIG bowl of bunny munch today. I love that expression BTW.

I think it's so perceptive that your DD said eat an apple. She knew. Mine should have thrown a bushel of em at me last night (and I bet she would have liked to hurl something at me besides angry words.). I went from being Tony Soprano to being Linda Blair in The Exorcist. But after the smoke cleared, we stayed up and talked till 1:30. We have a close but very fraught relationship.

As for exercise, I could not even dream of Bob Harper or any of those boot camp classes with those frightening little instructors. And me and Zumba? Scary, oooh, too scary.
You should see my dad get ready to eat salad. It's like watching a how to video on how to eat salad without having to taste it. Salt, pepper, cheese, salad dressing, croutons, ketchup, it's hilarious.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Hope, I don't think that I've ever heard of the gumbo shop. I love cooking but I doubt that I'm organized enough for catering.

Mern, that sounds like gumbo. Frozen will help but I usually skip the okra b/c I can't stand the slime.

Tori, quit crying! Last month you didn't have ankles.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6

Sorry, but the guy's got a point!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Hope, I don't think that I've ever heard of the gumbo shop. I love cooking but I doubt that I'm organized enough for catering.

Mern, that sounds like gumbo. Frozen will help but I usually skip the okra b/c I can't stand the slime.

I agree about the okra slime, yeech!

The Gumbo Shop is 630 St Peter St; right next to where Tennesee Williams wrote Streetcar Named Desire. I like the fish bits appetizer and the ettoufee.

You're not set up for catering then just ccok for friends. Hi pal...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

Already got yesterday's blood test results back thanks to my doc participating in online patient records.

Blood glucose surprisingly (despite some carb binges since Christmas) was a very nicely normal 89 with 70-99 being normal.

And the A1C (average blood sugar over 2 months) was a nicely normal 5.6% with 4-6% being normal. Not only that, but it's the lowest A1C I've had since 2007.

MY good cholesterol level is normal for the first time since 2007 at 44 with 40-60 being normal.

BUT I do not believe my total cholesterol and triglyceride results at all. Has to be a mistake. I've been bringing down my numbers steadily since May of 2011, eating an average of 12% of total calories as sat fat EVEN WHEN eating off the wagon, and eating DAILY avocado, almonds, olive oil, flaxmeal and doubling my omega-3 fish oil capsules with doctor's consent to bring down cholesterol and triblycerides. My cholesterol went up from 205 last August to 244 now and all of a sudden my triglycerides jump from 228 to 430? I have a conference with the doc next week. I am going to just tell her I don't accept those numbers as accurate and suggest we just see what the next test three or four months from now shows. Or we can run just the lipid panel test again if my insurance will pay for it.

I wonder if OTC meds could affect the triglyceride and cholesterol tests. I'll have to remember to mention to the doc that I'd had a horrible sinus headache for 2 1/2 days before the test and was trying anything to get rid of it and nothing helped. I'd tried an antihistamine and ran out of that, then had three or four doses of Ibuprophen and ran out of that, then took aspirin.

I think I'll go surf the Internet and see if any of those could skew the test results.

It was good news and bad news, but I don't believe the bad news--
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
You should see my dad get ready to eat salad. It's like watching a how to video on how to eat salad without having to taste it. Salt, pepper, cheese, salad dressing, croutons, ketchup, it's hilarious.
This reminds me of when I was dating DH (before he was DH of course.) He was vegetarian and broke. He served me a salad for dinner which for me became a bowl of croutons wtih Thousand Island dressing on it. But you gottta understand in my family salad was iceberg lettice, cuke and an anemic looking underrip tomato. No dressing. Veggies cam from cans. I never ate fresh broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, squast even till I was at elast 18 if not older. I like salads and veggies. Now that I know what they are!!!

Ketchup though? On a salad with dressing?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, let's hope the good news is right and the bad wrong!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hope: Maybe. I'm not sure. Thanks for the empathy I feel fine now that I've started up my pills again... going to take special care to write down ANY little thing that bothers me, though.

Mern: You sound like me!! Haha, though I usually had more like 40 days between them with 9 days of bleeding. My mom only put up with it for about 6 months (and me constantly missing school) before she took me to the doctor and practically demanded the pills. Took about 4 months for the bleeding to subside, and now my period lasts 2-3 days, tops. It's so strange how they can be so widely different between people. I can't BELIEVE your doc told you cramps are psychological, sheesh! Times HAVE changes, that's for sure.

Mary: You sound like you're doing it well this week, it's inspirational! Go get' em!

Amy: Love your swearing substitutes, lol! I try to make myself say "Oh goodness!" and "Oh my!" as much as I can, though I can swear like a sailor too, especially if I stub my toe or something. I've been considering getting some of Bob Harper's Yoga DVDs, though I am a yoga beginner -- maybe they'd be too ouchie for me???

April: I was really happy to read that your son was progressing well, but it seems like he's a one step forward, two-step back kind of person right now. I'm keeping you in my thoughts that he keeps heading towards a healthy outlook! I can't imagine the ups and downs of stress you must be feeling, but you are doing FANTASTIC. And TOTM isn't helping, I'm sure!!

kimbur: If I eventually end up someplace near the ocean I may very well take up diving again. It's wonderful exercise that you're barely aware of doing! Thanks for reminding me about that. I've been remembering a lot of things I used to do as a kid/younger adult that I just don't do anymore. Weird how our lives evolve in unexpected ways.

Tori: Don't let Mike bully you about busses -- just stand up and tell him that he WILL dance some Zumba!

Weekly Goals

Food/Exercise/Lifestyle Goals

1) Calories between 1200-1500 T: 1,492 W: 1,250 (Week Average: 1,371)
2) Exercise 3 times this week, high intensity T: No W: No -- changing this goal!
3) Calorie deficit of 4,000-5,000 T: -312 W: -558 (Week Total: -870)
4) In bed by 11:30 every night T: Nope W: close, but no cigar
5) Protein between 25-30% on average for the week T: 27% W: 26% (Week Average: 26.5%)
6) 80 oz. of water daily T: 64 W: 64
7) Take my multivitamin!! T: forgot W: forgot again
8) Weigh in daily and post here T: 158.6 W: 159.3 Th: 159.9
9) 30 Day Shred EVERY DAY

Other Goals

1) Turn in 5 job applications this week T: 3 W: 3 more, like a boss
2) Prepare for exam review by Thursday T: not yet W: no
3) Take some "me" time every day T: Yes W: not really
4) Don't sweat the small stuff T: I tried W: yeah

Alright, that's it. I am so sick of my de-motivated behind. I can't seem to work up the wherewithal to do a big workout for some reason, so I'm going to go back to something that kickstarted me before -- the 30 Day Shred. Now, I HATE the 30 Day Shread. Starting it always makes my legs feel like they're going to cramp up into tiny balls for the first few days and I've come fairly close to fainting numerous times, but there is something about the 30 Day Shred that makes me do it -- it's that the workouts are fairly short. I really have NO reason/excuse not to do one of those workouts every day. I can do it while dinner's cooking. I can do it right when I get home and there's just... no excuse at all

So I am changing my exercise goal and adding a new one (goal #9) to do the Shred every day for the rest of the week to kickstart me back into exercise as a habit, and hopefully. I think I also need to get back to walking to the gym on my complex to work out a bit on days where I have the energy on top of the Shred. Zumba is great and I enjoy it, but I was more faithful to my workouts in the long term when I left the apartment and went to the gym. Less distractions. There's also weight training equipment there. I need to come up with a faithful weight regiment as I totally just sort of half-assed it before.

So I'm asking -- any good training regiments to do at the gym 2 to 3 times per week that I can start implementing next week?

The gym doesn't have any free weights. There are a lot of the usual machines, and one machine with the weights on pulleys (obvsly I don't know the proper name...)

I used to basically go through all the machines when I was there doing 3-5 reps of 12-15 on a weight that gave me a "burn" about halfway through the reps. The weight varied with machines, of course, but that was all I did. I don't know if I should go and focus on top half of body vs. lower half of body on different days. I also need to be aware of my ankle, BUT, weight training is usually ok as long as I don't have to contort myself into weird positions, or so I've found, anyway. I'm really open to suggestions on this.

I think I've just become disgusted with my lack of exercising and orbiting around 160 forever. Enough is enough. I don't want to, but I need to do it. I think I need to go through some kind of masochism, lol. We'll see! I'm not feeling motivated, I'm feeling ANGRY! RAWR!!!!

~Terri
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Everyone!

Just a quick check in... I'm still around but I keep running out of time at the end of the day.

Been reading through the posts and everyone seems to be doing fairly well. Things here are going very well. Mom is doing the best and strongest that I've seen her in probably 3 years. I took her to an appointment with her doctor today, to lunch and then to her home for a few hours. She will be released to her own care tomorrow... yea!!!

I've fallen off the wagon for the last few days as she is eating huge meals for the first time in a year and it's so wonderful to see that I've been eating right along with her. I'll give myself a "congratulatory pass" until Saturday, then it's time to get serious about losing 5-7 pounds and cleaning up my diet... again. Her weight is down to about 105, but I think that she has turned the corner, the problem has been corrected and she will start to regain the weight pretty quickly. It's tough for me, though because when she has all of these new, huge food cravings, I'm so happy that I eat right along with her... ugh.

April,
Family stress is the worst... just remember how incredibly strong you are and that the answers that you are looking for will come. In my situation, I had my brother basically blaming me for my mom's cancer a couple of weeks ago... a really low and unfair blow right when I was feeling about as bad as I could feel. (He said I should have known, I should have done something sooner, I should have done this or that... blah, blah, blah...) But, I just had to keep focused on the job at hand and ignore his stupidity. If her doctors didn't know, how was I supposed to know? He has never lifted his finger once to help me in 8 years but is quick to point an accusatory finger or tell me "how it should have been done". You're a great mom... just follow your heart and the answers will come, I promise. (And ignore those who pull you down... there's not enough time or energy to deal with chronically stupid people. )

Mern!
You're A1C and blood glucose are wonderful! Give yourself a pat on the back! You took charge of your own health and you are seeing the results. I'm so happy for you! I don't know how you balance all that you do and keep such a positive attitude. Your family is so lucky to have you for strength and wisdom. Your grandchildren will never forget your kindness.

Terri,
There's nothing wrong with taking a break from hard-core dieting once in a while. It's a marathon not a sprint, right? You can do it... you've come so far. When I don't feel like being in full "diet mode" I just eat clean until it passes, then start losing again when I'm ready. The motivation will return... hang in there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.