Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbeanerz View Post
I'll be having a discussion with my GYN on 2/27 about this topic to see what her thoughts are. If she says anything useful I will be sure to post it!
Thanks I'm looking forward to hearing if she had to say anything helpful or not, even if she can recommend some kind of prescription cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar n View Post
Rubystars I also have had a lot of saggy skin on my journey when I was at my 135 goal I started to notice that as I maintained the weight that the skin over my knees and my arms started to look much better as muscle tone started to show. I have had no success with the tummy bag of skin but it has gotten smaller as my weight has dropped so its now a small flap of skin. I am in my mid 40's so my dr said that it would probably require surgery to fix.
Thanks for sharing about all that. At least I have some hope that it will get somewhat better, but I'm afraid it might get worse before it gets better since I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Congrats on getting to your goal weight
Quote:
On the man concern I was very aware and uncomfortable in my skin my hubby said it didn't both him at all that he was confused at how I could have less confidence and yet be so much hotter(his words) so I think confidence is more important then some loose skin. I have learned to deal with how I feel about it using lingerie and when I want to wear skimpier clothes their are some great control products out their that are very comfortable. My trainer calls the skin a badge of honor and it should remind me of all the work I have done. I am sure you will meet the right man and he will be impressed at the work you have done so keep doing what is working for you and I am sure most of that skin will fix itself and once you have maintained for awhile you can decide what the best course of action is for you. Your story is awesome and 90lbs is a fantastic lose, congratulations.
Thanks for the advice and the praise.

I sometimes forget that I have lost a lot already because when I see myself in the mirror I still see someone who needs to lose a lot and so it's hard to feel any confidence about that.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 364
Default

Rubystars,

I don't know if this will be of any consolation. But I have started to wear camisoles that are stretchy under my clothes and it really makes me feel a lot more confident. They are almost like the top part of a swimsuit...
__________________
Weight loss of 52 pounds
frenchhen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystars View Post
I sometimes forget that I have lost a lot already because when I see myself in the mirror I still see someone who needs to lose a lot and so it's hard to feel any confidence about that.
That's the tough part, and I feel your pain. I lost about 30 pounds and at that point was more depressed about my situation than when I was heavier. It's the frustration of wondering about when you're really going to see that "light at the end of the tunnel". And you beat yourself up for once being the 'old you', the one that has put you in this situation. It's a very tough place to be, I know. Then add to that the (temporary) skin problem and it's all compounded. So channel this negative energy into something positive; strike back harder in your efforts. Exercise more, whatever. There IS a light waiting for you.
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoVino View Post
That's the tough part, and I feel your pain. I lost about 30 pounds and at that point was more depressed about my situation than when I was heavier. It's the frustration of wondering about when you're really going to see that "light at the end of the tunnel". And you beat yourself up for once being the 'old you', the one that has put you in this situation. It's a very tough place to be, I know. Then add to that the (temporary) skin problem and it's all compounded. So channel this negative energy into something positive; strike back harder in your efforts. Exercise more, whatever. There IS a light waiting for you.
Thanks. I think it's only temporary if I can somehow afford $25,000 surgery later which I don't know if I ever will, but at least I'll be at a decent weight one day. I went to a pharmacist and asked if there were any creams or even prescriptions that could tighten up loose skin and she said only surgery could fix that and that even toning exercises won't really do very much for it.

I'm planning on losing the rest of my weight and then waiting 2 years and seeing what I'm left with, it might not be as bad as I think it will be but if it's really bad to the point where I need surgery not to feel ugly that will still be frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchhen3 View Post
Rubystars,

I don't know if this will be of any consolation. But I have started to wear camisoles that are stretchy under my clothes and it really makes me feel a lot more confident. They are almost like the top part of a swimsuit...

Thanks for the tip frenchhen. Right now my clothes are covering everything but it's good to know there are ways to hide it if it got worse.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

I don't know if this would help you or not Ruby but there was a lady at my work who was thinking about having gastric bypass surgery. She is in her mid-late 50's and was very worried about the loose skin. Her doctor told her that if it became a problem that they could medically recommend she have skin removal surgery for her health to avoid chafing and infections and that if medically recommended that her medical insurance would cover it as a necessary surgery instead of refusing as an elective procedure.

I will probably go this route to get a breast reduction when I am done. My gosh, the girls aren't doing very well at defying gravity already. It's gonna be like a tennis ball in a sock until all my weight is gone!
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbeanerz View Post
I don't know if this would help you or not Ruby but there was a lady at my work who was thinking about having gastric bypass surgery. She is in her mid-late 50's and was very worried about the loose skin. Her doctor told her that if it became a problem that they could medically recommend she have skin removal surgery for her health to avoid chafing and infections and that if medically recommended that her medical insurance would cover it as a necessary surgery instead of refusing as an elective procedure.

I will probably go this route to get a breast reduction when I am done. My gosh, the girls aren't doing very well at defying gravity already. It's gonna be like a tennis ball in a sock until all my weight is gone!
I wonder if they would do that for someone who didn't go the gastric bypass route though. I guess the only thing I can do is ask around. I might have to doctor shop until I find one who would be willing to recommend the skin-tightening.

I don't think that bariatric surgery like gastric bypass is the right decision for most people. Effectively all gastric bypass does is help people to control portion sizes, in my opinion. You can do that yourself with calorie counting.

It makes people's stomachs smaller, so they can't eat as much, but you can choose not to eat as much with a healthy, normal stomach too.

If someone is severely overweight and needs to lose it quickly for health reasons, that's another matter, but I think for most obese people, calorie counting and portion control is the way to go over re-arranging your insides permanently.

I saw an ad on here one time for a fluid people drink that partially fills their stomach for several hours that is supposed to safely mimic the effects of gastric bypass without the surgery, people on youtube were talking about using it and saying it worked well for them. I don't remember of the name of it but I think something like that would be preferable to mutilation of the digestive tract.

The idea of that kind of internal mutilation just gives me the chills.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

My GYN would probably recommend breast reduction for me as her hubby is one of the plastic surgeons in our area
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystars View Post
Thanks. I think it's only temporary if I can somehow afford $25,000 surgery later which I don't know if I ever will, but at least I'll be at a decent weight one day. I went to a pharmacist and asked if there were any creams or even prescriptions that could tighten up loose skin and she said only surgery could fix that and that even toning exercises won't really do very much for it.

I'm planning on losing the rest of my weight and then waiting 2 years and seeing what I'm left with, it might not be as bad as I think it will be but if it's really bad to the point where I need surgery not to feel ugly that will still be frustrating.




Thanks for the tip frenchhen. Right now my clothes are covering everything but it's good to know there are ways to hide it if it got worse.
Ruby, my clothes are also "covering" everything. I guess what I am saying is that the camisole that I wear is a bit "huggy" and keeps the "loose skin" a bit more firm, and I feel tons better in the skin that I am in. It's not quite a spanx type firmness on a daily routine, but hmm, maybe a security blanket feel under my clothes. You know like the difference between wearing a regular bra and a sports bra, only on my whole torso? I don't feel like that loose skin is marching to the beat of a different drummer when I walk, etc.
__________________
Weight loss of 52 pounds
frenchhen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchhen3 View Post
Ruby, my clothes are also "covering" everything. I guess what I am saying is that the camisole that I wear is a bit "huggy" and keeps the "loose skin" a bit more firm, and I feel tons better in the skin that I am in. It's not quite a spanx type firmness on a daily routine, but hmm, maybe a security blanket feel under my clothes. You know like the difference between wearing a regular bra and a sports bra, only on my whole torso? I don't feel like that loose skin is marching to the beat of a different drummer when I walk, etc.

Thanks for the advice and the explanation I'll keep that in mind! I think I had forgot things like camisoles even existed because when I tried to find one in a store once, there weren't any in my size, but that was also 90 lbs. ago. lol

I still have a tendency to think of a lot of clothing items as "made for other people".
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

I hope this link isn't against the rules but I wanted to share it with you. I came across it on pinterest the other night and thought of you immediately..


Exercises To Tighten Your Body After Weight Loss | LIVESTRONG.COM
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2