Notices

No Support

Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy No Support

I'm trying to lose weight but my family STILL buys very bad food choices and makes fatty meals. I'm 16 years old and my parents say when I move out I can do what I want but I want to do this now and for me... It's just so stressful because they're sabotaging my success. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

This may sound a bit harsh but have you been told by a medical professional that you need to lose weight?
Your family may see a perfectly healthy teen at a healthy weight and are not trying to sabotage your "success".
The Hollywood norm IS NOT a real world norm to try to emulate.

You need to get an honest evaluation of your weight before trying to diet. Also, severe dieting at a time of growth and maturing can have nutritional repercussions.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
FitDay Member

Why not offer to make dinner for the family one night? I'm sure they'll appreciate you helping out. Look up some healthy and nutritious recipes online (you can probably find some simple yet tasty ones) and wow them! Maybe they'll start wanting to eat healthy too.

Just make sure you understand that eating healthy doesn't mean starving yourself. You're still growing and your body needs a certain amount of calories and nutrients.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
FitDay Member

Work on the person that does the cooking. Don't blame them just try to explain your feelings. Ask for help. If the meal they are serving is not what you eat can you make yourself an omelette?
Record your food in Fitday and analyze your nutrients. It will educate you on what your family is putting in their mouth. Above all don't preach, make little changes for yourself.
My family loves spaghetti, I have the same sauce but use spaghetti squash or whole wheat pasta. They don't think of it as abnormal just something I prefer.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, xSookie.

Reading your post, and reading the responses, I wanted to ask if you might feel a little more comfortable telling us a bit more about yourself. For instance, how much weight do you want to lose? I know it's uncomfortable to put your weight stats out there, but it may really be the best way to offer suggestions to help you.

Handcycle, I appreciate you looking out for xSookie, but speaking from the perspective of a person who was quite overweight as a 16-year old, I would have felt even more helpless coming to a site for help and having it implied that I didn't need to lose and was trying to live up to a Hollywood ideal. You may be completely right, but we don't know the OPs personal or family situation. I do agree with you that teens are developing (I've got a 15-year-old at home) and that weight loss tips and tricks that are good for adults may not be the best for them, but suppose she's in the obese category and is trying to learn more about nutrition so she can be healthy, only to run into roadblocks from her parents?

I may be well off the wall, but I just wanted to put this out there to validate her concerns and to see if a bit more information could make it a little clearer as to what is needed.

I know we've had 18-year olds here before; don't know if anyone 16 has posted. Does FD have a lower age limit???
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I know we've had 18-year olds here before; don't know if anyone 16 has posted. Does FD have a lower age limit???
Yes, believe it or not it's (13).

Remember butterflybabe? She's a youngin'. I just read a post of hers today whilst I was adding to the 'Best of' threads. Hope she's doing well, and I wish this young lady all the best as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

I sorry your parents don't understand what you want to and support that you are trying to make a change in your life to be more healthy. If you were my child, instead of asking them to stop making unhealthy dinners, try asking them to buy you salad and vegetable. Your parents are most likely think that they are not trying to lose weight why should they change what they are doing. Ask them to buy you you different foods so you can reach your goals and explain to them how important this is to you. I have three children and if any one of them came to me and explain this to them. I would do anything I could to help my child out. Don't be mad or have an attude, while you are trying to make your point, just talk and explain why its so important to you and what kinds of foods you like to eat to reach your goals. I hope this helps you, if you would like some one to talk to please mail me on here.