FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Obese and excited. (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/6494-obese-excited.html)

crazigerl 01-28-2012 05:54 AM

Obese and excited.
 
One of the guys on the board talked about hydrostatic testing which I had done on Monday.
With just tape measurements they said my bodyfat was 40.1 which puts me in the morbidly obese category. After the water test it showed I was actually at 33.8% which is now in the obese category and only a few percentage points from being "overweight". I still have to get the weight off for my joint health but it does show that my efforts are paying off.

SPAMLEY 01-28-2012 07:57 AM

Hi
Fantastic that you have changed your health issues. Please may I ask about your joint issues - whether you have seen an improvement? I have issues with knees which are constantly painful and also stiff legs. I'm certain loss of weight can do nothing but good for these issues but it would be good to hear from someone else. Well done on the weightloss so far. L

Rubystars 01-28-2012 11:25 AM

Good work :)

I had pain in my hips and knees when I was heavier and it's gotten much better now. I only rarely do now.

crazigerl 01-28-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPAMLEY (Post 70558)
Hi
Fantastic that you have changed your health issues. Please may I ask about your joint issues - whether you have seen an improvement? I have issues with knees which are constantly painful and also stiff legs. I'm certain loss of weight can do nothing but good for these issues but it would be good to hear from someone else. Well done on the weightloss so far. L

Spamley, I have only lost 27 pounds from my heaviest weight last year but the difference to my body is amazing. I had both major hip and joint pain, I have some
degredation of the joints but my doctor said if I keep going at that weight I will have to have surgeries later in life. That was enough motivation to get started. I don't have hip pain at all anymore and my knee pain only comes around if I try to run on concrete. Other than that I have none.

frenchhen3 01-30-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazigerl (Post 70594)
Spamley, I have only lost 27 pounds from my heaviest weight last year but the difference to my body is amazing. I had both major hip and joint pain, I have some
degredation of the joints but my doctor said if I keep going at that weight I will have to have surgeries later in life. That was enough motivation to get started. I don't have hip pain at all anymore and my knee pain only comes around if I try to run on concrete. Other than that I have none.

I've read a lot of articles about this. There was one I read on Web MD, that if you lose just one pound, it takes 4 pounds of stress off your knees.

SPAMLEY 01-30-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazigerl (Post 70594)
Spamley, I have only lost 27 pounds from my heaviest weight last year but the difference to my body is amazing. I had both major hip and joint pain, I have some
degredation of the joints but my doctor said if I keep going at that weight I will have to have surgeries later in life. That was enough motivation to get started. I don't have hip pain at all anymore and my knee pain only comes around if I try to run on concrete. Other than that I have none.

thanks for the post. I am so grateful for the motivation. I can't imagine running on concrete!! Both knees are painful at times and I take heart that things can be improved. I think I said in an earlier post, it seems such a long road ahead and joints seem "seized" up that I just thought "things" were past it and probably couldn't be improved. Thank you. L :)

mecompco 01-30-2012 07:16 PM

I'll add that two years ago when I (re)started FitDay my knees were in constant pain--it was pretty much all I could do to stand up out of my chair and going up our stairs was a slow, laborious process. Now I can run up the stairs pain free and my lower back issues have gone away to boot. As you point out, taking any amount of weight off can do nothing but help the joints.

Regards,
Michael

RunbikeSki 01-30-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPAMLEY (Post 70931)
thanks for the post. I am so grateful for the motivation. I can't imagine running on concrete!! Both knees are painful at times and I take heart that things can be improved. I think I said in an earlier post, it seems such a long road ahead and joints seem "seized" up that I just thought "things" were past it and probably couldn't be improved. Thank you. L :)

Spamley,
I will guarantee that your joint problems will improve with weight loss and an exercise program. They may never be back to 100%, and they may still ache from time to time, but you are well on the road to improved mobility and far less pain. Keep it up. Eyes on the prize ;).

SPAMLEY 01-31-2012 06:38 AM

Thank you Pam. Really really appreciate the support. L

fit4luv 01-31-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchhen3 (Post 70889)
I've read a lot of articles about this. There was one I read on Web MD, that if you lose just one pound, it takes 4 pounds of stress off your knees.

Now this is incredible. ^

Crazigerl -- just love the good news that you have.

Each one of you give quite the motivation to keep going from flab to fit. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2