Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 1/16/12

Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
I swear the man is trying to keep me fat.
Lol, are you dating my husband? JK, hubs isn't 6'-2", nor is he military. He did however run sabotage when I hit the point where I got below what I weighed on our wedding day.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

Darlene---

The past couple of days I've sat and thought "what can I do or say to show my support?". And truthfully, there's nothing that I can say that hasn't already been said. I can say that your outlook is where it needs to be. Don't stress until there's a reason to. Know your facts. Take it one step at a time.

Breast cancer awareness is one of the issues that is near and dear to me. My paternal grandmother was a TWO time survivor, and this was in the mid to late 80s (I can't really remember the exact years, I was too young). Given my family history it's always something that my doctors and I have kept a watchful eye on.

Nannie (it's what we called her) was diagnosed the second time almost a year exactly from the first time. She opted for a mastectomy both times, and then did the follow up chemo. Never once did she lose her hair. I like to think that she was just too stubborn to let it fall out! She admitted to me later in her life that she was scared the first go around. She had already lost 2 of her 3 sisters to it, so when she found out that she had it she automatically thought it was a death sentence. The second go around she said "well, I beat it once. I can beat it again." And she did! It was detected early and she went forward with treatment. Of course, we're praying that you're in the 85%!!!!

On a funny note. A few years ago my cousin and I were living in our grandparents' house (to keep it from sitting empty). Well, we were going through some of Nannie's things and my cousin found one of the gel bra inserts that she used when going to dinner or church. So, my cousin picks it up and says "Look, haha, it's Nannie's booby. hahahahaha" I told her to put it back where she found it and not to play with it. The next thing I know she's squealing like a rat had run across her foot and she's screaming "OH GOD, OH GOD! IT LEAKED! NANNIE'S BOOBY LEAKED ON ME!! GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF!" Needless to say, I couldn't do anything for laughing. I finally managed to get up and get her a towel, but not before nearly peeing my pants. Had Nannie been there she probably would have laughed as much as I did. And then given Cousin a good "see, that's what you get" talking to. I've always wanted to share that story, and now that I have, it's still as funny as the day it happened!

Know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Only He knows how it's going to turn out. And there is NOTHING that He can't fix.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
connect1---welcome aboard!

Amy---WOOHOOOOOOOO! sometimes "normal" is a blessing
Yep. I didn't actually think about them finding anything on the mammo until Darlene posted about her issues over the past few days. That hit sort of close to home and made me think about the results a little more. So when the "normal" post card arrived it was a whole lot more of a relief than I realized it would be. Darlene baby, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and I'm very impressed and inspired with how you've turned this around mentally.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Oh Tori honey, ROFLOL!!!

Darlene I have a friend that was diagnosed with breast cancer, at the time I think she was about 50. Anyway she admitted to me that she let herself cry for a day or two and then she got busy reversing her whole mindset. She went and had a wig made before she went to chemo, so the wig designer could see her natural hair, she planned out her sick and vacation time around her treatments and then she met with a plastic surgeon her oncologist recommended. She ended up having a bi-lateral mastectomy, and simultaneously had plastic surgery where they took tissue from her fanny and stomach and made it into new boobs. And I'm telling you she was a foxy hot thing by the time they took the stitches out. That was 10 years ago, and she's still with us and hotter than ever.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dar n
Tori My hubby thinks girls with a shape are much hotter than stick women as he refers to them as, your new man probably like your curves that not a bad thing as he like who you really are but it makes losing weight a little trickier but you will figure it out.
You know, I would say that maybe he does like "curvier" women, but his exwife was anything but. He admitted the other night that he's wanted to ask me out for a while, but knew I wasn't ready. And it's the big AWWW moment. Of course, he could have just been saying it to get in my pants LOL!! And while I did the internal "aww" at the same time I was thinking to myself....'why???' It's the insecure fat girl from high school thinking those things though. I know that it's not a bad thing that he likes me as is, it's actually better that he does. But given how fit and healthy he is, it's still a little shocking.

Originally Posted by almeeker
Lol, are you dating my husband? JK, hubs isn't 6'-2", nor is he military. He did however run sabotage when I hit the point where I got below what I weighed on our wedding day.
HaHaHa!!! Nope pretty sure he's not your hubby. One minute CN is all "lets go work out", the next he's ordering Creme Brulee. He's a man of contradictions. It's one of the reasons I'm drawn to him.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quick check in.

I had a BAP (Big Ass Pot) of red beans cooking all day. I just got back from doing some cardio at the gym and came home and pigged out. 2 bowl of red beans and 2 corn bread muffins. I'm full as a tick now.

Tomorrow I'll be in a company meeting all day (starting at 7:30am ) I'll do the best I can with my food choices.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Mary Soup sounds awesome I never thought of that yet I used to order butternut squash soup in restaurants all the time and love it. I will do some homework and try to find a healthier option I am sure the restaurant one has cream.

Kay Congrats on the loss.

Tori Way to go on your loss.

Zyxst Wow that’s cold I think it’s only got that cold here a couple times I think we are the mildest province in the winter.

Connect1 Welcome and I would say having your triglycerides back in the normal range is great, your goals of tracking and walking sound like a great start.

Amy Thanks for sharing I am glad your friend is still cancer free I am hoping to have good news but if not and I am wallowing in self-pity please post her story again because that’s pretty awesome behavior. I am glad you are normal I am praying that I am just lumpy and normal. I knew you would come through for me with the squash I had butternut yesterday and I have 1 left and a buttercup squash also do you have a tried and true squash soup recipe?

Tori Thank you for sharing your story and trust me just talking to you guys and hearing your stories and having your prayers and support has really helped me. Your nannie sounds like an amazing strong woman what a blessing to have an example like that in your life. Oh my thanks for the laugh that is a great story and I am glad you shared it with me. A real romance is more than just hot bodies (and everyone’s idea of hot is different) I think you may have found yourself a keeper now go sit on that insecure school girl and remind her that a confident women lives hear now.

Mike Stay away from the baked goods they always look so tempting when you are meetings, just say no to pastry!

I stuffed myself with homemade chili but I am not sure how to log it, I didn't figure out my recipe stats The chili con carne in fitday says 391 calories for 1.5 cups and 1912mg sodium I sure hope mine didn't have that much salt or my scale and I are not going to be friends tomorrow. I hope you all have a great night and thanks again for your friendship and support.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Closing the kitchen and PROMISING no more eating until tomorrow's breakfast.

Calorie limit 1600 1571
Carbs less fiber 25g 24.2g
Average daily sat fat 12% 14%
Average daily cholesterol 300mg 144mg
Average daily fiber 25g 28g
Fruits/veggies 5 servings per day YES

Water 48 oz. YES
Exercise 5 days YES
Artificial sweetener limit 2 pks. per day 0
Sugar free dark chocolate miniatures limit 2 per day 0
Vitamin D and fish oil capsules daily YES

Something wonderful: we had a new great-granddaughter born Saturday. The daddy is one of my step-grandsons from DH's first marriage. Mother and baby are doing great. We also have a 5 year old great-grandson who has the same father as the newborn.

Last edited by Mern; 01-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
FitDay Member

Darlene--I debated on whether or not to share "her story". She passed 3 years ago last Tuesday and it's still hard sometimes to think of everything she went through. She was an amazingly strong woman. One like I've never known before or since. Even in her last days, she made her decisions. I thank the Lord that He was gracious enough to have put her in my life.

The "leaky boob" incident, as we call it, is absolutely one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. I've never come so close to peeing my pants as that day.

"Hot" is definitely subjective. I'm coming to know that more and more as an adult. Sometimes it's still hard to put the school girl thinking at bay. But that girl is slowly starting to get drowned out by the more confident me.

As far as him being a keeper......I'm still trying to work that out. I'm just now starting to realize what I'm worth. I don't want to rush right into another relationship but I don't want to rule it out either. I do know this....he's nice and he makes me laugh. He's sweet, without being annoyingly so, yet he's not a pushover. I'm trying real hard not to fall for him too fast. But, I like him. A lot. And that scares me a little. He's scheduled for deployment right before Valentine's, and is looking at 12 months away. I keep asking myself if I want to wait it out and see where it goes, or do I want to see what else is out there? He's told me that he doesn't expect me to not date anyone while he's gone. In fact, he wants me to. He just doesn't want me falling for anyone LOL! He wants his "shot" at making me happy when he gets back. I go back and forth on it, and still don't know what to do. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, glad you enjoyed your cornbread and beans.

Lizzie, congrats on making those muffins! They sound YUMMY! Thanks for your good wishes on my blood sugar test next month. I sure hope your BF is able to manage better with less insulin after a time. Wonderful that he's down a size already! What do you mean about going privately for a mammogram? Do you mean your medical insurance doesn't cover it? Aw, I hope your sinus problems are relieved soon.

Amy, thanks so much for your encouragement. I do appreciate your having faith in me that I can manage my blood sugar if I try hard enough--and I know I can if I pledge to be better in the future. I just figured since I cheated so badly one day last week and absolutely horribly ALL this past weekend, there's no way my blood sugar is going to be under 6% for the 60 days the test measures. There are only 40 days left until the test. Last time I had to be good for 60 days straight and just barely made it under the wire-5.8% with under 6% being normal. It will be a case of "it is what it is" (an expression I absolutely detest) but the numbers, good or bad, are a necessary tool for MY personal use in helping keep myself, through diet alone, from ever progressing to full-blown type II diabetes. You are very welcome for the muffin recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Oh, yeah, congrats on the normal mammo.

Mary, that squash soup sounds delicious.

Darlene, so glad you enjoyed your cold hike. Hope you got warmed up quickly. I love squash, especially mashed or pureed with cinnamon. Don't know why I prefer it mashed or pureed instead of sliced or in hunks, but I do. I had made myself some turkey chili with black soybeans which are amazingly low in carbs and put it in a casserole dish in the fridge. I get to eat the whole batch myself (still have a couple servings left) because DH loves my beef chili but hates turkey chili. Know that you are in my prayers and if you don't mind, I'll be happy to put you on the network of prayer at my church. Remember to watch for those footprints in the sand whenever you get scared--when you see just one set, it's because Jesus is carrying you on his shoulders. Big hug to ya. Yes, it's easy for me to say, but try hard to not worry until you know for sure you have something to worry about--I do know personally several women whose lumps turned out to be just fatty tissue or benign tumors.

Kay, congrats on your lb. lost and on your self-control in making yourself leave the house to get away from the temptation to snack! OMG, I'm so sorry you also battle sleep problems. I'd love to know how to conquer that, too.

Tori, great job last week--even with the calorie overages on two days you still did really great the other five, plus lost 3 lbs. Kudos to you, gal! So nice you have "eye candy" watching CN working out. Hats off to you for waiting to decide what you will do when he is deployed.

Connect, welcome to our group. I feel for you! I gained 45 lbs. when I quit smoking. I also have fasting blood sugar impairment which makes it harder for me to lose weight, plus I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides that I'm reducing with diet alone. Wow, your triglycerides are back down to normal! Congratulations! I'm inspired by your success!

Last edited by Mern; 01-16-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.