Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Menopause and weight loss

Help?! Please share ideas.....
Old 12-29-2011, 04:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sandimm
Help?! Please share ideas.....
I know... not fair! But one thing that really helps is to get you metabolism revved up with exercise. Are you a walker, or have you been active in the past? Give us a little background and I bet you will get some excellent suggestions.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

What I am finding is that a lot of our weight gain is due to estrogen dominance.
Apparently when our ovaries stop our body tries to compensate with insulin. Youtube Sara Gottfried.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

Old thread, maybe we can revive it.

I'm in the same situation. I wish we could get a real discussion going on about the impacts of hormonal changes and the effect on physical health and weight loss. Just noted at today's weigh-in that not only have I not lost another lb over the last few weeks (was so hoping for!), I have instead gained another 2 lbs. It feels like my body is no longer responding to what has always worked for me in the past - healthy eating, regular exercise. I have gained 12 lbs in the past 1.5 years and am now heading back to my all-time top weight of 174, which was MANY years ago.

I am exhausted from insomnia, in pain from old back injuries, fed up with temperature imbalance that has now lasted more than 5 years and now this uncontrollable weight gain. It looks like have to go back on severe calorie restriction, since I can't increase my workouts (and my trainer will vouch for that).

Reaching end of rope. Help.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Sunrosa, what does your doctor recommend? Have you tried a low-carb diet? That tends to get rid of any water weight fluctuations, in my experience. I don't call it 'healthy eating,' in the sense that you miss many of the benefits of more veggies and fruits. But it can jolt you out of a slump.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

Doc of course says cut calories and exercise more. LOL. right "exercise more." She should talk to my trainer about what I already do.

TSH level is elevated but she wouldn't prescribe thyroxine replacement until a 6 month retest. No idea why - does she think I ate or drank or did something odd to cause a temporary spike? I'm keeping cals at 1000-1200 and so far am getting off a few lbs of water. Have cut a few carbs but not cutting all - it's not healthy and my gut gets pretty uncomfortable when I cut all carbs, e.g. fruit, whole grain bread and cereal.

This calorie level feels impossible to do for the long haul. If I had either my younger metabolism or my younger knees my weight loss path would be so much easier!

Thanks for responding to my pity-party!
Old 05-25-2020, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for reviving this thread Sunrosa. Hi Kathy. It's the 25th and hope you come back. I haven't been here in the longest time. Struggling with the same issues. Weight gain, injuries. Sunrosa - I think (in my opinion) waiting six months for another thyroid test is too long and unreasonable. If you have thyroid issues you need to be treated. I'm going more low carb and I'm back here to keep better track of calories. This is all very depressing.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, I am back!
I've been locked down so long, it looks like up to me!
Back to counting and tracking. If I can keep tracking for enough days, it becomes more like a habit. Then it gets easier.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:45 PM
FitDay Member

I'm 51 and in the beginning stages of menopause. I have been active almost all my life, but I love to eat! When work, life or other things take priority over exercise, weight creeps on. I seem to be getting menopause anxiety with a side of hot flashes. Believe me, I would much rather have the hot flashes. 🤪
What I have learned this year is to never, ever restrict my diet less than my basal calorie requirements. This will destroy my metabolism, by putting me in starvation mode. Since I'm getting older and have lost some muscle mass, I need to lift weights or resistance train to keep my metabolism burning high.
Practice relaxation everyday to relieve tension. We are going through a major life change and trying to lose weight at the same time. This pressure is intense. Patience and self love are a must.​​​​
​​​