Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: western NC
Posts: 8
Default Addicted to food?

Has anyone else realized they're addicted to food after deciding to eat healthier? I don't call it dieting because I know it's a life change, not a temporary change.

I decided several weeks ago to eat clean, you know, little to no processed food, fresh fruits/veggies, no beef or pork, etc. I think of it as clean eating. I also started keeping track of calories, fat, protein here on fitday, restricted calories to 1200 a day, and began walking daily. The trouble is that even though I've already started losing weight and feeling better, the cravings for Little Debbie and double cheeseburgers are not going away. If anything they're getting stronger. I don't know if it's all in my head or there is a real physiological response going on, but I had an easier time quitting smoking. It's been almost a month.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you cope? How long did it take to get over, or did it ever go away? I hate the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life. If it keeps up I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the healthy eating wagon.

Thanks in advance for any input.
hanelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanelse View Post
Has anyone else realized they're addicted to food after deciding to eat healthier? I don't call it dieting because I know it's a life change, not a temporary change.

I decided several weeks ago to eat clean, you know, little to no processed food, fresh fruits/veggies, no beef or pork, etc. I think of it as clean eating. I also started keeping track of calories, fat, protein here on fitday, restricted calories to 1200 a day, and began walking daily. The trouble is that even though I've already started losing weight and feeling better, the cravings for Little Debbie and double cheeseburgers are not going away. If anything they're getting stronger. I don't know if it's all in my head or there is a real physiological response going on, but I had an easier time quitting smoking. It's been almost a month.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you cope? How long did it take to get over, or did it ever go away? I hate the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life. If it keeps up I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the healthy eating wagon.

Thanks in advance for any input.
1200 might not be enough. If it's really a lifestyle change, eat a few hundred calories under your maintenance level. 1200 should be rock bottom.

If you're not eating enough you'll have more cravings, plus you can get kidney stones.

I also noticed that I have times when I just want to have something I used to eat, like enchiladas, lasagna, frito pie, chunks of cheddar cheese, etc. but I think this is something everyone deals with.

I also don't think you should permanently cut out your favorite foods from your life. You can have them once in a while as long as you stay on track most of the time.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanelse View Post
I don't know if it's all in my head or there is a real physiological response going on, but I had an easier time quitting smoking. It's been almost a month.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you cope? How long did it take to get over, or did it ever go away? I hate the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life. If it keeps up I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the healthy eating wagon.

Sure. We all get the cravings. For me, they went away. Learning about how sugar is poison and how double cheeseburgers will clog my arteries are what made those cravings go away for me.

Now I consider food to be a source of fuel. I try to put only high octane in my engine.
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: western NC
Posts: 8
Default

Rubystars and Vitovino,

Thanks for the input. I'll keep all that in mind. Maybe 1200 is too low. I may adjust to 1600 and see how that works. I'll also try to stop thinking of food as fun. Tough change, though. A lot tougher than I thought it would be.

Vitovino, we're neighbors. I live in western NC. Congrats on those lost 32 lbs. : )
hanelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanelse View Post
Vitovino, we're neighbors. I live in western NC. Congrats on those lost 32 lbs. : )
Y'all got the good barbeque then! I don't care much for the vinegar based Piedmont kind. Y'all got the tomato based, correct?

Welcome to FitDay, neighbor!
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
ToriD1012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 1,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanelse View Post
I live in western NC. Congrats on those lost 32 lbs. : )
I'm about an hour southeast of Asheville, so does that make us neighbors too?
__________________
Tori

FitDay Start-November 6, 2011
FitDay Starting Weight-255 lbs.
Height-5'4"ish
Age-36

Mini Goal Weight-??
Ultimate Goal Weight-TBD

Current Weight-??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When life throws you curveballs, it's up to YOU to decide whether or not you swing away or go down looking. I'm choosing to swing away.

"JUST KEEP SWIMMING"
Dory-Finding Nemo
ToriD1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: western NC
Posts: 8
Default

Vitovino, you betcha! And the best kind has as much molasses as tomato sauce. I can eat my weight in, and that's a *lot*.

Hey, Tori, it sure does! Great warm weather we've had so far, huh? I hate the summers, but you can't beat the area for winters, especially for a gardening nut like me. Congrats on your mini goal. You've just about made it. I'll have to add my stats.

I upped my calories to 1400 a day and have been doing better. I've lost about 15 lbs so far and 2 1/2 inches from each measurement of bust, waist, and hips. To stop missing my favorite foods at meals, I "reward" myself by reading a favorite book or crocheting. I tried a favorite video, but that just made me think of chips. : (
hanelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 49
Default

Just thought I'd share a great article on the latest research on food addictions. It was posted today on Disease Proof : Disease Proof : Health & Nutrition News & Commentary : Dr. Joel Fuhrman
stamatiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatiaa View Post
Just thought I'd share a great article on the latest research on food addictions. It was posted today on Disease Proof : Disease Proof : Health & Nutrition News & Commentary : Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Excellent article, thanks for sharing it! This is exactly why I don't intend to EVER eat another candy bar, donut or ice cream cone. Zero tolerance works for me.

Regards,
Michael
__________________
47 M 5'8"

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
VitoVino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 86
Posts: 1,858
Default

Excellent article indeed. Now the only problem is I've just read about the warnings about turkey. Nothing is truly "perfectly healthy" anymore I suppose.
__________________
Vito



Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2