FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Searching for Kindred Spirits (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/5857-searching-kindred-spirits.html)

pumpkinbelly 12-01-2011 08:43 AM

Searching for Kindred Spirits

I joined FitFDay early in October of this year. I admit that I am not very computer savvy so maybe I am not using this site to its full advantage. :confused: I appear to be older than most members (late 50's) and Canadian. I have a thyroid weight problem (loss of thyroid gland due to cancer, so am on lifetime meds) and a propensity to weight gain.

Do I have any kindred spirits out there? Any Canadians? Not that I don't want worldwide friends, but could use someone closer in region (western Canada), age, culture. I hope I am not coming off as rude, just looking for a friend or two closer to home.

mommywrites 12-06-2011 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinbelly (Post 63978)
I joined FitFDay early in October of this year. I admit that I am not very computer savvy so maybe I am not using this site to its full advantage. :confused: I appear to be older than most members (late 50's) and Canadian. I have a thyroid weight problem (loss of thyroid gland due to cancer, so am on lifetime meds) and a propensity to weight gain.

Do I have any kindred spirits out there? Any Canadians? Not that I don't want worldwide friends, but could use someone closer in region (western Canada), age, culture. I hope I am not coming off as rude, just looking for a friend or two closer to home.

I don't think it's unreasonable or rude to look for someone with similar attributes as yours. You're looking for support and that comes through relation. I think it's good to reach out, that's why I am here too. I'm sure that you will several people in your region! Best of luck to you!

ToriD1012 12-06-2011 04:34 PM

While I am not in the same geographic region or age demographic as you, I too have a non-functioning thyroid. I was diagnosed with Graves disease almost 4 years ago. Technically speaking, Graves disease is a hyperactive thyroid, but I opted for the radio-iodine treatment to effectively "kill" my thyroid. So in a round about way it puts us in the same boat. I too am on a lifetime of synthetic thyroid hormone medications. It's taken almost 2 years to get my dosage where it should be, and during that time frame I gained almost 30 lbs. And that's on top of being overweight to start with. It takes a little more time and a whole lot of work to get the weight off, but it's happening. I just have to be extra diligent in what I'm eating versus what I'm burning.

Even though I'm not exactly what you're looking for in a friend or kindred spirit, we still have at least that in common. Good luck to you, and I'm around if you'd like to chat. It's actually nice to find someone who shares at least some of what I'm going through, makes me realize that I'm not alone

LMB2011 12-30-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinbelly (Post 63978)

I joined the end of Ocotober of this year. How close to Canada are you looking? I'm in Montana. I don't think I have seen anyother post from people in my state either.