Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/28 (recovery week for many) >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/28 (recovery week for many)

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/28 (recovery week for many)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Mike,
I'm not liking the new format either. Lots of wasted white space at the top of the page, but that's just my marketing/graphics background showing. Nice win last night! Looked like the Giants went home early! If you wake up a lot at night, Google Circadian Rhythm or Circadian Clock. That could be part of your issue. I learned a lot about it dealing with my mom. It's a problem that a lot of people have, but really effects the elderly. (No, I'm not saying that you're old!) This is why older people fall asleep in a chair at 6pm and then want to wake for the day at 3am. If your Circadian rhythm gets messed up, the times to sleep and wake are skewed. It may tell you that the time to wake is 3am versus 6am (...or whatever time you get up.) A lot of things can mess it up... diet, medications, personal habits. But it's pretty easy to reset. Try getting up 1-2 hours earlier in the morning (get your workout in, a walk, laundry, whatever). Then go to bed at your normal time and I bet you'll sleep through the night. Sometimes just a few days is all it takes to reset your brain.

I used to have trouble shutting down my brain at night when I was working 50-60 hours a week. I would lay in bed at night and my mind would race with all of the stuff that I had to do the next day. I learned to count backwards from 100 by threes. It sounds dumb, but when you concentrate on doing that, you can't think of anything else. lol
I have a number of reasons why I wake up, sleeping during the day isn't one of them. I rarely get to bed before midnight or 1am. (GF works late then loves to watch TV in bed, which drives me nuts!) I'm a very light sleeper, Mytsie wakes me up during the night with her feet in my back, I toss and turn a lot trying to get comfortable. I've been getting around 6 hrs. of sleep a day but wake up several times during it. My GF is back to setting the alarm on her phone for 7am... so she cal wake up her 13 year old daughter! Really? My GF is a heavy sleeper, so like this morning when her alarm goes off, it wakes me. I then have to wake her so she can get up and wake her 13 year old. I just about lost it this morning. She's always complaining that the girls that work for her are always late to work b/c they over sleep. I told her it may be b/c they were used to their mommy waking them up and holding the hand to make sure they stayed awake their entire life. I say let the 13 y/o over sleep then have her ass walk to school. It's only a mile but maybe, just maybe she'd learn then to wake HERSELF up.

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Mike ... Maybe your ghost is trying to tell you to keep your butt out of the kitchen since it only acts up on your way back from there.... You pulled out a nice deficit yesterday!
I wish it were that simple. The youngest daughter sees shadows walk by when she sleeps in the living room. We've heard odd noises/ voices. The dogs have been spooked over "nothing". One time Mytsie followed me into the kitchen at like 2-3am, we both heard a voice, she freaked me out and baled out on me. She ran to the room and was hiding under the covers, shaking and growling. We've heard doors open and shut when nobody was in a room. The middle daughter (the door kicker) is not one that's easilly scared, she's quite brave. She told my GF a few months back that she was taking a bath and when she layed down to rinse her hair in the tub, she felt fingers run across her forehead. A month later she was taking a shower and said the fog was rubbed off the mirror in a circular pattern.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I wish it were that simple. The youngest daughter sees shadows walk by when she sleeps in the living room. We've heard odd noises/ voices. The dogs have been spooked over "nothing". One time Mytsie followed me into the kitchen at like 2-3am, we both heard a voice, she freaked me out and baled out on me. She ran to the room and was hiding under the covers, shaking and growling. We've heard doors open and shut when nobody was in a room. The middle daughter (the door kicker) is not one that's easilly scared, she's quite brave. She told my GF a few months back that she was taking a bath and when she layed down to rinse her hair in the tub, she felt fingers run across her forehead. A month later she was taking a shower and said the fog was rubbed off the mirror in a circular pattern.
Wow, that is all pretty spooky. My Chloe likes to sit and stare up the steps when nobody is upstairs. The kids tease her and walk real slow up behind her then whisper right behind her ear "I see dead people." She jumps! She also will watch upstairs in the mirror. It is weird but she can be walking all around the house and will just suddenly stop and stare into the end mirror (we have a wall of 10 foot wide mirrors in our kitchen eating area) where she can see upstairs.

Oh and I still make sure my 13 & 14 yr olds are awake so they don't miss the bus because I leave before they do. Just the mommy in me I guess.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for the kudos on my loss - I'd rather have not been in pain to do so, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise. As for my headaches - I've learned to live with them. Clusters are no fun, but at least I only get them 2-3 times per year (most years)

Cassie: I hope your stomach recovers from bad barbecue soon! There's nothing like bad food to just make you feel like your body is nothing but a disorganized series of plumbing gone wrong.

Pam: I love the idea of a simple salad for thanksgiving - you're totally right, it's never part of the "traditional" foods!

Joanna:
Well done!!!

Amy: You'll bounce back girl, you got this.

Darlene: I dunno, don't beat yourself up girl, you sound pretty handy to me. Handier than I am, anyway! All this talk of home improvements makes me more wistful for a place BF and I can really call ours, but that's not in the cards anytime soon.

cyndees: No gain = win!

Ann: CONGRATULATIONS on baby #2! Thanks so much for checking in with us - just take care of yourself and do whatever you need right now.

mgonzalez:
Just move beyond the day, we've all been there It's in the past, log it, and let it be. You'll get out of it and figure out what your body needs!

Tori: Welcome! Your goals look good, you seem to know what your temptations are, that's half the battle

Mike: The forums are totally screwed up - maybe they're re-coding them for beta? Also, my Dad used to wake my sister up every morning until she left for college (he didn't have to wake me up - I was up!). She's a fully functional alarm-clock-using adult now, jsyk! I think morning was sort of "their time" to talk, they often chatted for a few minutes. Both have tempers, but were way more mellow in the hours before school.

Amy: The weight loss was why we switched the pill - I'd been on the same birth control since I was 12 (for medical reasons) and although the medical problem cleared itself up when I got older (thank goodness) I stayed on a high-estrogen pill due to my weight. My doc then recommended that I switch once I lost a significant amount of weight, so this is my first foray into something OTHER than what my body had been used to for 15 years. But I did agree after doing some research that maintaining on a quite high estrogen was probably not good for my body in the long run. Things have been mixed - I'm going to give it another month. I have an appointment with my doc in January and I'll discuss it with him then. I want to stay on low estrogn if I can because it's better for me long-term, but oy, the headaches are no fun.

Weekly Goals

1) Calorie average between 1,200 and 1,400 for the week. No single day over 1,600. M: 1,463 (Week Average: 1,463)
2) Exercise 3-4 times M: Zumba
3) Calorie deficit of 5,000 for the week M: -941 (Week Total: -941)
4) Multivitamin daily M: forgot
5) 80 oz. of water daily M: no (72)
6) In bed by 11:30 every night M: I tried!
7) Protein average of 25-30% for the week M: 31% (Week Average: 31%)

Other Goals

1) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: yes
2) Put in paperwork for conference travel reimbursement M: No
3) Clean one room every day M: No
4) Report something wonderful that happens to me every day M: Organized a Skype call with 2 very dearly missed friends in NY

I was dead-tired after my workout yesterday, but ever been so tired you can't sleep? The very good news is that it seemed to clear up my headache a lot. I laid around on the couch or in bed after dinner trying to will myself to sleep, but the last time I looked at the clock it was 11:45, so I missed my sleeping goal, even though I tried!! I think my head is too full of thoughts from work drama. It's not going to resolve itself quickly, so I need to find better ways to calm myself down at home. And take positive steps at work. It's all I can do!

I'm feeling pretty foggy today. Need to buckle down and focus. Job application due Thursday, a few surgeries to do this week...

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

~Terri
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

Ann, congrats to you and DH for baby #2 on the way!

Terri, so sorry about those cluster headaches that kept you miserable for such a long time! Feel better soon! But, honey, major kudos on your new low weight! You bet you can proudly be one of a VERY FEW people who can say that! I have no experience with your white post, so have no advice to give, but surely hope you can find a solution. Thanks for your compassion on the loss of my ring. And I really like your quote: "You don't have to change your life today. You only need to change your day today."

Pam, one could count the pumpkin in the cheesecake as a partial serving of veggies and maybe count a little from the cranberries. But I guess you'd be lucky for that to add up to one whole serving of veggies.

Darlene, it's harder for me than I thought to turn a complaint each day into something to be thankful for--I don't have a complaint everyday. Having one daily would turn me into a real sour puss. I may have to borrow Cassie's idea of posting something wonderful that happened to me on some days. Oh, thanks for that info on the veggies/fruits to not count because of their high sugar or fat content. I was too lazy to look up the USDA's new guidelines. I do count my daily avocado serving as a veggie because the fat in it is good fat that helps reduce cholesterol/triglycerides (whichever it is.)

Cyndee, congrats on maintaining Thanksgiving week! Way to go!

Joanna, good start on your goals so far this week.

April, congrats on your maintaining over Thanksgiving week, too. And thanks for your comments on the loss of my ring. Maybe some day I'll want a new one--right now my finger awaits the return of the one DH put on my finger 40 years ago. Congrats on your inches lost!

Main80--you're off to a great start. I exceeded my water goal and woke for several potty trips during the night, even though I last drank anything around 6:30PM. Today will keep it at 48oz. or so. 64 oz. is just too much for me.

Quinn, great job Monday!

mgonzales. So sorry, I forgot. Are you Michelle? Emotional eating is a tough thing to overcome. Just take it one day at a time. Congrats on getting back on the wagon with us. Well, I haven't read yet that you've killed Jeff, so that's a good thing. LOL

Tori, way to get back on the wagon after the Thanksgiving food and games. Tough to not go nuts with food over that weekend. Nice goals for this week.

Mike, I commend you for your courage to weigh in. I'm too chicken. I'll weigh next week after being really good this week. My recollection is that you have a good handle on what a serving of veggies really is, so I'm kinda taking it that you were joking about the 1/4 pickle REALLY being a whole serving of veggies. However:

On servings of veggies: for my own food log I count a serving of veggies by the old rule of thumb--1 cup raw veggies or 1/2 cup cooked=1 serving. Some things like broccoli and cauliflower don't shrink much at all when cooked, so I go by a cup as a serving. I add up the fresh spinach leaves on my sandwich with smaller servings of other veggies throughout the day like a slice of onion, a slice of green pepper, and maybe a slice or two of cucumber in my salad totalling one serving of veggies. But I'm a veggie lover, so maybe that's easier for me to do. Pickles are cucumbers, but there's not much nutrition in a pickle, so maybe you could count a whole pickle as half a serving of veggies, depending on the size of the pickle. A lot of times they label a serving as really small so people don't freak out over the amount of sodium, sugar, or fat in a food product. Like a serving of sauerkraut is two tablespoons. In Ohio we eat it as a side dish, not just as a topping for hot dogs as on the East Coast. No Ohioans in their right mind would eat just 1/4 a pickle unless it was a foot long. LOL

Rose, OMG your turkey chili and the veggies drizzled with walnut oil sounds delicious! Wow, congrats on day 11 of no sugar or white flour! Sweet story about your grandmother's ring. I prayed for St. Anthony's help as soon as I realized my ring was gone--but perhaps ideas of where to look are yet to come from him. I guess Heaven is in a different time zone from mine. LOL

Last edited by Mern; 11-29-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Rose, I haven't logged a hard core cheat day in a while but they are usually 5k+ calories. I had 4 days back to back like that. Besides eating a lot of food, I also have pumpkin pie, apple cobbler, cheesecake, a blast, ice cream... and not just single servings. I wish I could say that I thought that it was an exaggeration, but I'd be lying if I did.
Wow Mike. I guess boys really can eat a lot! Still, knowing you, the extra gain will be gone in no time. You have an amazing metabolism!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
Wow Mike. I guess boys really can eat a lot! Still, knowing you, the extra gain will be gone in no time. You have an amazing metabolism!
Don't underestimate the power of some girls too! LOL ... I can easily do 4000-5000 in a day. Don't know if I would for 4 days straight but I'm sure in the past I have without even thinking about it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up back on the wagon

hi y'all! I know I fell off the wagon AGES ago, but I gotta stop beating myself up and just climb back on, so here I am what I really need to do right now is establish new habits, and the only way I know to do that w/o feeling overwhelmed is to work on just 1-2 little things at a time—then the big changes just seem to fall into place! so despite my little detour, my major goals (in my sig) haven't changed—I'm on the right track, I just have to stop worrying about the mountain and focus on the pebbles. I can handle pebbles, right??

on that note, here are my goals for this week:
1) drink alkaline water except w/meals and supplements—2L today, 2.25L tomorrow, 2.5L Fri, 2.75L on Sat (working up to 5L/day, which is what I really need to be drinking for my current body weight)
right now I'm at 750ml for today (Terri, I'm totes stealing your colour-coded progress reporting!)

2) eat at least one meal this week that's nothing but raw "green" veggies
not done yet

it's good to be back! somehow just being here again makes me feel like I'm already making progress XOXO
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Don't underestimate the power of some girls too! LOL ... I can easily do 4000-5000 in a day. Don't know if I would for 4 days straight but I'm sure in the past I have without even thinking about it.
LOL, me too. It's probably a good thing you and I are getting to know each other on a health web site, because I can tell without this we would have been the sort of friends that are a bad influence on each other in all the best ways. Like the two friends that were on that cooking show together "The Two Fat Ladies". OMG, it was hilarious, until of course the smaller one died of a heart attack...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Just got back from swimming with the third graders. Man I love that gym teacher, she is soooo making my Christmas list this year.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

Tanya, whenever I've been off the wagon for a while, the only way for me to get back on without feeling overwhelmed is to take those baby steps--just 1-2 little things at a time. Yeah, just focus on the pebbles. Best wishes on your goals. Glad you feel at home here, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.