Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/28 (recovery week for many) >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/28 (recovery week for many)

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/28 (recovery week for many)

Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 AM
FitDay Member

Mern Enjoy your quite kid free day.

Quinn This is just my opinion and you may feel free to completely ignore it! Why when we are on a quest for healthier bodies would we choose to put chemicals in them just for a fake sugar feeling? Many studies have been done proving an increase in cancers, tumors, alzheimer’s , headaches, panic attacks and nervous system damage. Now having said that most of the tests these findings come from have been done on mice and rats but still it creeps me out a, many people have also reported these problems but I cannot find a study done by a reputable group that states documented facts just a lot of warnings. There is presently a lot of talk about how their sweet taste stimulates the release of insulin which then tells the body to store blood sugar but these sweeteners do not cause an increase in blood sugar so when we use the sweeteners it lowers the level of blood sugar and leads to low blood sugars so we will tend to eat and crave more sugar when it is provided next time. My Dr is not a fan he made his wife give up her diet pop and brought the topic up to me a few years ago he believes we will see many problems in a few years due to their wide spread use. I think your sil is on the right tract but truvia is just stevia that the coca cola company has manufactured to make it more convenient but it still is a natural food base. Stevia is a natural sweetener, it’s a plant that I can grow on my patio. I can pick the leaves, dry them if I want (in my new dehydrator thanks Amy) and store them, then use them (dry or fresh) to add a hint of sweetness to just about anything coffee, tea they make great cool, refreshing iced teas. Again this is just my opinion and my hubby will tell you I am a crazy hippie chick who would live on a commune if he would let me.

Quinn I have had the chocolate coconut meringues they are really good.

Tanya I used whole grain rice yesterday and no one seemed to notice. I know you will feel better when your body gets rid of all the crap. I second your opinion on artificial sweeteners.

April I am happy for you, family nights are great no matter how old our kids get they are still kids to us and certain traditions really bring that out.

Mike Does your wife have a secret shopping problem? My mom did, my dad would ask “where did you get that shirt” response “the closet” she would hide clothes from him before she wore them so she could say it’s old or I have had it for months, it was really a problem. Now if she doesn’t have shopping issues it was probably just an old shirt and her response was pretty normal for a girl. I do put my rice in the jambalaya normally but my dad likes his over pasta so I was pleasing a crowd.

Pam My friend uses a Jambalaya seasoning mix as she claims hers never tastes the same as mine and it was really good the last time I was at her house, she uses the same recipe just adds the seasoning pouch you just don’t have as much control over the heat. If you are adding the rice in the pot I add 2cups water that’s the only difference.

Well I am off to start my road trip and carb fest party. I probably won't be able to log the damage until I get home later tomorrow. I hope you all have a great weekend.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Darlene, no she doesn't. She said it was a shirt that she got from American Eagle like 6 years ago, she just never wears it. She actually doesn't shop much for herself, that's probably what threw me off is b/c I thought it may have been new. She also has no reason to resort to secret shopping b/c we keep our money seperate. Trust me, if our finances were together I wouldn't be wanting a bike so badly b/c then I'd have to get "permission".
Old 12-02-2011, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

My personal opinion about artificial sweetners is pretty individualistic. I could see that the excess chemicals would not, in the long run, be a good idea for the body. However, as a diabetic, I can assure you that drinking sugar in my coffee or regular soda is such a bad idea comparatively. For some reason, everyone and their dog feels the need to lecture me about it, which tends to annoy me, so I often avoid debates about the detriment of the artificial stuff. I've tried stevia, but I really don't like the aftertaste, same with Sweet n' Low. I once was recommended xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol. Apparently it's good for your teeth 'cause the bacteria can't digest it because it lacks a carbon in the carbon chain (ie 5 carbons instead of the 6 in glucose.) Anyway, I used it for a while, but stopped for some reason. I think you can still find gum made out of it.

I'm a total grammarian, and I believe it is still incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

@Mike what I know about the business side of insurance would fit in a thimble w/room to spare, but I do know that when a policy is structured properly, w/appropriate coverages, deductibles, etc. and then serviced well, it's a combination that can't be beat. I hope your customers are very happy and that you enjoy what you do

@dar trying to eat healthy on the road is SO difficult, at least for me. good luck w/that, and enjoy your trip!

@Joanna I wouldn't know what to do if I was diabetic—that's not something I'd wish on anyone. I have a cousin who's diabetic (we're not close, tho'), and she's ended up in hospital more than once b/c she wasn't super-careful about watching her sugar intake and whatever else she's supposed to monitor. you do whatever works for you! that's all anyone should do, really—people can offer information and discuss other options, but ultimately I think it should be an individual choice. me, I'm just an information junkie, so I like to know as much as I can about something before I make a decision (yeah, sometimes that's a problem—I've ended up w/"analysis paralysis" more than once, I can tell you ;\ lol), but I figure the more I know, the more informed my choices will be. as for the preposition thing, in my day job I'm an editor for a strategic communications firm, and here's what the Chicago Manual of Style (Online, 16th ed.) has to say:
5.176 Ending a sentence with a preposition
The traditional caveat of yesteryear against ending sentences with prepositions is, for most writers, an unnecessary and pedantic restriction. As Winston Churchill famously said, “That is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put.” A sentence that ends in a preposition may sound more natural than a sentence carefully constructed to avoid a final preposition. Compare, for example, this is the case I told you about with this is the case about which I told you. The “rule” prohibiting terminal prepositions was an ill-founded superstition. Today many grammarians use the dismissive term pied-piping for this phenomenon.
so you (and Mike, and whomever else ) can stop worrying about prepositions at the end of sentences, it truly isn't a rule anymore. but I also tend to cut people a LOT of slack online, esp in informal, personal settings like this one (business forums are a different matter).

oh, so we went to Costco today to pick up a few things that I need fresh for tomorrow...HO.LY. COW. I've never seen it so packed, even on a Saturday!! is there some big shopping day going on today that I somehow missed the memo about?? YIKES! if it's this bad today, what's it going to be like tomorrow?!? so glad I don't have to go back for a while, criminey!

okay, back to work—I've got a freelance job I need to get finished (it's actually graphics, not writing/editing, go figure). I'll try to check in again later tonight!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dar n
The reason I need to make an appointment to get in my kitchen is for food safe reasons I can’t just walk in and make toast and slap on my PB when she’s got the kitchen cleaned and laid out for no nut cookies. The quantity she’s cooking in also requires some planning so today's jambalaya feast pushed her decorating back until Friday there’s no way she’s going to move a hundred half decorated cookies just because I want to make dinner I don’t know if I blame her for that.
Are you absolutely certain that the L-shaped area in the basement couldn't be made useful as a pantry/workspace/baking zone? I'm envisioning shelves above (with under cabinet lighting) and shelves or cabinets below with a long L-shaped work height counter all along it (both sides if it's wide enough) that dead ends in a sink followed by a pair of cabinet mounted ovens. Just a question.

BTW your jambalaya sounds delish! I make it every now and again, but it's not something I grew up on, so I'm always playing with the ingredients and sometimes that works against me. I had not considered making the rice separately, the recipe I follow (roughly) calls for the rice to be added to the pot to soak up all the extra juice. It works okay as long as you don't stir the pot while the rice is cooking. But I frequently goof that part up and end up with crunchy rice. I'll have to try it separately next time.

Last edited by almeeker; 12-02-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MAIN80
Almeeker, hope you find your tea pot, getting the water in is getting complicated. Cookie incidents seem to be common around this time. Congrats on the doll, I must be hard to keep it a secret when its such a beautiful gift.
I'm heating up my water in the microwave, but I think I know where the tea pot is. The last time I saw it was at a Girl Scout meeting, so it might still be at the church, or it's buried in a reusable grocery sack somewhere.

I'm one of those rare people that can keep a secret, but for me it's not so much about self control as it is that I was raised by a master of "the silent treatment". Anyway, keeping quiet is not hard for me. The hard part will be letting some old fat dude in a goofy red suit that never shaves, take credit for all my hard work LOL.

I should clarify, keeping "quiet" is hard for me, keeping a "secret" while yammering on and on about anything else, is easy.

Last edited by almeeker; 12-02-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

Tanya, LOL--I found qwerty in dictionary.com. Had to click on how to pronounce it (like kwurty). Until then I hadn't noticed those letters are right next to each other in the same row on the keyboard.

Joanna, I use aspartame as my go-to artificial sweetener--which isn't supposed to be good for us, either--charged with causing brain tumors. I'm a former pre-diabetic managing my blood sugar through diet alone, (last test was normal blood sugar level) but if I didn't use any artificial sweetener at all I'd be eating sugar for sure. I don't care for stevia, either. But so many things many of us eat are not good for us. Like white potatoes are horrible for us as they so quickly convert to sugar in our bodies. But they're a food staple in the cuisines of many countries. My grandkids pediatrician says to not give kids fruit juice because it's pretty much empty calories and too high carb. My opinion boils down to using moderation.

Amy, you're an architect, aren't you? That was so nice of you to share your vision of the L-shaped area in the basement. Also it's so neat about the doll. I thought of you in Walmart's parking lot today--because you're so artistic. For three years I've been wanting to replace my old worn out Christmas wreath but I couldn't find one that screamed "I'm the perfect one." And I didn't want to settle for something less than perfect to go with my living room decor, but today I heard the call and there it was hanging on the hook in all it's splendor and at a great price. On the way to the car I honestly thought, "Now if I were Amy I'd have just assembled this myself years ago." LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

April, That's great news about your youngest going along with y'all, sounds like y'all had some fun. Now go file some paperwork!

Pam, there is a lot of green going on with your goals. What about spraying for rats yourself. Around here we have a place that sells the exterminator chemicals to the public for cheap, do y'all have they there? What the kitties to tighten up and to their job, bring home some Chinese food and start staring at them. j/k

Mern, Thanks but I doubt I'll finish the week -6, but I'm back to going in the right direction. ! I try to avoid artificial sweetners although my protein powder has it in there. How is your week going?

Tanya, I guess I should worry so much about the perposition thing. I just didn't want to offend the Grammar Police. I usually don't sweat offending someone. "I do know that when a policy is structured properly, w/appropriate coverages, deductibles, etc. and then serviced well, it's a combination that can't be beat." I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I do enjoy what I do, although it can be pretty hard. I can honestly say that I've never been rejected so much in my life, until I entered the insurance industry. Cold calling is the worst! My clients really do like me b/c they know that I've got their back.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, Mike. I just try to limit myself to two packets of artificial sweetener per day in addition to what's already in my shake, chocolate, or whatever. Yeah, I know--the scale fluctuates day to day and we wind up with a net weight loss. I'm up 1/2 lb. since yesterday, but, like you, I know I'm headed in the right direction--down. My week is going great. If I can hang in there the rest of the evening, I can get my net carbs down to an average of 25g that I set in my goals and then I'll have ALL green averages so far this week. Been forcing myself to exercise and just have tomorrow to get in to meet my goal of exercising 5 days.

I surely did enjoy my kid-free day today! Stuck to my guns about not driving any kids anywhere today, but then when her BF's mother stopped by to pick him up after school, my live-in GD hopped his Mom's car to go home with them without asking either her or me. When I asked her how she was going to get home she just shrugged her shoulders that she didn't know. His Mom said it was OK and volunteered to provide the ride home (NOT what I wanted to hear) so I suggested to both of them that GD should do some kind of household chore in return--like doing the dishes or walking the dog. That's not what my GD wanted to hear. I love payback with teenagers.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Amy, you're an architect, aren't you? That was so nice of you to share your vision of the L-shaped area in the basement. Also it's so neat about the doll. I thought of you in Walmart's parking lot today--because you're so artistic. For three years I've been wanting to replace my old worn out Christmas wreath but I couldn't find one that screamed "I'm the perfect one." And I didn't want to settle for something less than perfect to go with my living room decor, but today I heard the call and there it was hanging on the hook in all it's splendor and at a great price. On the way to the car I honestly thought, "Now if I were Amy I'd have just assembled this myself years ago." LOL
LOL, that's probably true. You know Ohio isn't that far away, I would love to spend time crafting with you. The prettiest wreath I've ever made is a Christmas decoration at my parent's house. I was maybe 12-13 years old, and don't laugh but the whole thing is made out of 1" wide strips of white garbage bags tied on to a wire coat hanger bent into a circle. It has red glass beads wired on to it and a big velvet ribbon tied on the bottom. The garbage bags just need an annual fluff and I think my mom put a new ribbon on it about 10 years ago, but it's the energizer bunny that thing. I think I'm going to have my 4-H craft group make one of those things this year, I've been saving my grocery store bags, they are white and red. It sounds tacky I know, but I swear it's pretty enough to be on the cover of Martha's Mag.

Oh and to have a kid free day, better yet kid and hubby free day. Tomorrow my folks are taking the kids, but DH wants to drive into the city and buy paint. Which will probably mean we drive home and tear apart the living room and PAINT it. All I really want to do is stay home and make dolly clothes. I know it's very immature, but sewing is a lot more fun than painting giant walls with just one color.

BTW I'm totally with you on moderation. I know that I should cut down on my artificial sweetener, but some things you need to approach with baby steps. I quit Diet Coke (although still enjoy the occasional bottle), but now I add Splenda by the tablespoonful to my morning coffee. I probably should quit coffee, but every morning I'm like, "oh yeah coffee, thank God!!!".

And I love the payback thing. Our oldest is 10 and believe, I'm all about "you have to earn it".

Last edited by almeeker; 12-02-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.