Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default If a fat person calls you fat

I had someone who was heavier than me call me fat.

I wish I would have thought about this at the time, but she was about to leave the job we were at and I wish I would have told her

"Well I guess we're in the same boat, one of us better get out of it so it doesn't sink!"

Just an idea that some of you may be able to use if you face a similar situation.

My real life reaction was just to look at her as if it was obvious she was fat too.

Later on a coworker said to me "She called you fat?" lol
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
ToriD1012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 1,202
Default

For me personally, the only person who can call me fat is, well, ME. It's rude for ANY other person to call me fat. That's just my opinion.

There is a running joke with me and a couple of my cousins of being a "fat kid" but it has nothing to do with a person's physical size. It refers to their eating habits at one specific time and place. An example of this is one of the cousins' fiance is by NO means a large man, but he eats like a horse....so he's commonly referred to as the "fat kid" at the table, or when someone asks for more food the common reply is 'alright fat kid, slow down'. I'm not really sure where it came from, it's probably that one of us said it once and it stuck.

One thing that bothers me is when I mention being fat and a thin person says "oh you're not fat". Um, yeah, I am. Does the thin person really think that if they tell me that I'm not, that I'll believe it?
__________________
Tori

FitDay Start-November 6, 2011
FitDay Starting Weight-255 lbs.
Height-5'4"ish
Age-36

Mini Goal Weight-??
Ultimate Goal Weight-TBD

Current Weight-??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When life throws you curveballs, it's up to YOU to decide whether or not you swing away or go down looking. I'm choosing to swing away.

"JUST KEEP SWIMMING"
Dory-Finding Nemo

Last edited by ToriD1012; 11-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.
ToriD1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

I had a similar thing happen to me at a consignment shop. I wanted to try on a dress that was on display in their window and the sales lady says to me, "oh honey that's not going to fit you, it doesn't even fit me". Excuse me? I'm easily 2-3 dress sizes smaller than her. After she tried to sell me several different outfits that were hideous, I made her undress the window display anyway. And what do you know, it fit like a glove, so I waltzed out of the dressing room made a big deal out of looking at my backside in the mirror, and then carelessly tossed it on the chair in the dressing room and said "Um, no, it's just not hot enough for this party I'm going to". The nerve of some sales ladies.

Is there any chance you can get her to stand next to you facing a full length mirror?
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

That is just really rude. I honestly don't know if I could hold my comment for something like that. It isn't my place or anyone else's to pass judgement on someone else's body condition. Whether they are fat or skinny it doesn't give me the right to tell them about it. .... Unless of course they ask my opinion.
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
01gt4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 7,481
Default

Can I chime in?

I'd be polite and simply ask them "When was the last time you've had your ass kicked by someone fat like me?" Then I'd stand there and wait for an answer. Chances are they won't know what to say, but what they say will determine my next move.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
ToriD1012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Posts: 1,202
Default

The only time I have actually been called fat by another fat person was years ago when I was about 65-70 lbs thinner than I am now. A friend and I had went to a hockey game and a guy behind us was being REALLY obnoxious. He had nothing to say about the actual game, but had LOTS to say about anyone that wasn't of his racial background. He would randomly tell his friend 'If you give me five bucks, I bet I can start something with that guy.' We tried to take the high road but it got to the point that we went and reported him to customer relations. While my friend was filling out the paperwork, I had the task of showing security where the guy was sitting. As I was pointing him out, his friend was walking up the steps to the concourse and shouted back, "Hey, the fat girls told on you!" And being as short tempered as I am, I almost lost it. The guy easily had 150 lbs on me and all I really remember coming out of my mouth was "Really??? You're calling ME fat???? Have you looked in the mirror?????".....as the cop was holding me back. The police officer had to quietly remind me that I didn't need to end up in jail over some loud mouth jackass. It's probably the closest I've ever come to actually punching someone. Not one of my finer moments, I'm usually more dignified while in public. All it took was a couple of beers and a moron, and I forgot all my manners
__________________
Tori

FitDay Start-November 6, 2011
FitDay Starting Weight-255 lbs.
Height-5'4"ish
Age-36

Mini Goal Weight-??
Ultimate Goal Weight-TBD

Current Weight-??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When life throws you curveballs, it's up to YOU to decide whether or not you swing away or go down looking. I'm choosing to swing away.

"JUST KEEP SWIMMING"
Dory-Finding Nemo
ToriD1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
wildbeanerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,517
Default

I remember one day a girl who I used to work with came to me in tears. She had a baby about 5 months before and someone asked her when the next one was due. She still had a lot of baby belly left. I told her that she should have said..."I might be fat but my hubby still sleeps with me every night. How about you?" ... Well, I used a little harsher language. It brightened her mood anyway.
__________________
April - 35yr 5'10" mom of two teen boys

331.2 lbs 02.21.11 (start) size 28W-30W jeans
229.2 lbs 08.06.12 (best so far) size 16W
263.4 lbs 03.03.14 (current)

Progress 67.8 lbs - 20% of my original weight

Pictures...
New Collage April 2012

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a newdream. ... CS Lewis
wildbeanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbeanerz View Post
I remember one day a girl who I used to work with came to me in tears. She had a baby about 5 months before and someone asked her when the next one was due. She still had a lot of baby belly left. I told her that she should have said..."I might be fat but my hubby still sleeps with me every night. How about you?" ... Well, I used a little harsher language. It brightened her mood anyway.
I once saw a guy at Cedar Point (amusement park), he was really quite large and wearing a shirt that said "I might be fat, but you're ugly and I can go on a diet". If you made a similar shirt for your friend it would be a little x-rated but funny as hell.
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
I had a similar thing happen to me at a consignment shop. I wanted to try on a dress that was on display in their window and the sales lady says to me, "oh honey that's not going to fit you, it doesn't even fit me". Excuse me? I'm easily 2-3 dress sizes smaller than her. After she tried to sell me several different outfits that were hideous, I made her undress the window display anyway. And what do you know, it fit like a glove, so I waltzed out of the dressing room made a big deal out of looking at my backside in the mirror, and then carelessly tossed it on the chair in the dressing room and said "Um, no, it's just not hot enough for this party I'm going to". The nerve of some sales ladies.

Is there any chance you can get her to stand next to you facing a full length mirror?
Great response.

And no thankfully she moved to another state so I don't have to work with her anymore.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbeanerz View Post
That is just really rude. I honestly don't know if I could hold my comment for something like that. It isn't my place or anyone else's to pass judgement on someone else's body condition. Whether they are fat or skinny it doesn't give me the right to tell them about it. .... Unless of course they ask my opinion.
Right I agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriD1012 View Post
For me personally, the only person who can call me fat is, well, ME. It's rude for ANY other person to call me fat. That's just my opinion.
Well maybe it would be ok from a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriD1012 View Post
One thing that bothers me is when I mention being fat and a thin person says "oh you're not fat". Um, yeah, I am. Does the thin person really think that if they tell me that I'm not, that I'll believe it?
I get what you're saying. I wish people didn't notice so much either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 View Post
Can I chime in?

I'd be polite and simply ask them "When was the last time you've had your ass kicked by someone fat like me?" Then I'd stand there and wait for an answer. Chances are they won't know what to say, but what they say will determine my next move.
Love that They were meaner than me though. I don't think I'm a very good fighter but that is a great response if someone can back it up.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2