Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas) >

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas)

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread starting 11/14/11 (OMG there are only 42 days until X-mas)

Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MAIN80
All this talk about racy pictures made me really misread the my girls phrase. But I got it now.
LOL, um, my children, sorry not paying attention again. Does make a racier image though with you're take on the phrase.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Mhibdon Drink some water girl! You will get nice skin and pretty hair your date will appreciate it and oh so will your muscles.

April Glad to hear you sounding like you self again.

Quinn You are right! I think the dorm room gifts sound great and especially since she has her own job and can buy the toys she wants she should be happy you are leaving the fun shopping for her to do. We need to remember they have no clue yet what living without something really means either, they take fridges, etc. for granted they have always been there. My son and his girlfriend are moving out Feb 1st their big Christmas gift is going to be laundry baskets filled with salt, pepper, mustard, mayo , spices, canned foods, coffee, tinfoil, toothpaste, etc. all the things they assume will just magically be in the cupboards when they open them. It was not cheap to do but probably no fun at all we are going to wrap everything individually just for fun, it will be a culture shock since he’s used to laptops, Xboxes etc. but hey welcome to the real world it’s not all big bows and toys.

Pam I cannot imagine having to cut our cats nails I don’t think they would sit long enough they are both long haired mainecoon cats and bathing and grooming them they tolerate on because they are vain and love to be clean and that takes all my patience. They are outdoor/indoor cats so they do not scratch my furniture my daughter purchased a nice scratching post but in typical cat fashion they have turned their noses up at it.

I need to get my day rolling I am not sure if I mentioned that my insurance company will not renew my policy until we remove our oil tank from the basement and install a new one outside ughh. Our house is 45 years old and the house was built around the tank so this is going to require taking out a wall and a whole lot of effort we have a guy coming on Friday to give us a quote. Today I need to pull all the camping and Christmas stuff (which works for a goal at least) out from under the stairs and store it somewhere else so the guy can get in and dip the tank. On a fun note my hubby and I are going to break in the new truck so hes taking me out to dinner and a long truck ride after work it's sunny right now I hope it sticks.
Have great day everyone!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I was hoping that I'd hear from you, being in college! Sometimes, we moms question just how out of touch we really are.

I like the way you think!!! Ok. That does it. She's getting dorm stuff. That's why I love this thread. I can get the opinion of every age group. I keep telling her that when she's in college and has $2 and a package of Ramen Noodles to her name until Friday, she'll look at things differently.

I thought by making her get a job in June, that it would give her a good insight as to how hard some adults with kids have to work just to stay above water. It kind of back-fired on me. She was never materialistic until she started working, making good money and was able to buy really nice things and still save the amount that I requested from her to set aside for miscellaneous college expenses. (She hands me a large part of each check.) I never thought that she would make as much as she is working part-time. So, I may have, inadvertently, created a monster.
I was a lot like your daughter, between babysitting and working double shifts as a nurse's aide, I had money coming out my ears during my senior year in HS, and no bills to speak of. Then I went to college and got a taste of just how expensive living on your own really is. Although admittedly I didn't "pay" for everything on my own, but I was on a tight budget for the first time in my life. I attended a major university, and although my parents have always done well enough financially, most of the kids at that school came from extremely wealthy families. Talk about culture shock. My freshman roommate called home once a month and got a wire transfer for 10K, which was just her spending money, her parents paid her tuition directly. It was all my parents could do to send me 1K/month, which was just enough for room & board and tuition, so long as I was careful and worked at least 10 hours/week.

My birthday was about 6 weeks after I started college, and my parents gifted me with a "Roadside Assistance" rider on my car insurance policy (keep in mind this was long before I had a cell phone, it was not common to have it on auto insurance policies and it cost quite a bit extra to add to a teenager's policy too). At first I was like WTF? This is a gift? This is not a gift, this is a piece of darn expensive paper, my father was bamboozled by that schmuck at the insurance place!!! And then my beater car took a dump and I came to realize that it was probably the best gift my father ever picked out for me. In fact my piece of crap car was so bad that the nearest tow truck driver thought we were dating .

So I'm with you on the practical gifts. With the economy like it's been, we've gone practical for everybody lately. Although you may find something else that she needs that will feel more like a gift to her, maybe a new phone or a laptop or printer. I dunno. There's bound to be something that will make both of you happy. I love the laundry basket full of goodies idea, I've done that countless times for baby shower gifts (especially if it's not the first baby). She's going to need one of those for sure, and some laundry soap, so she understands that she will be doing her own laundry right?

Last edited by almeeker; 11-16-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Ugh Darlene, what a pain in the behind with your insurance company!!! Do you know a guy with a torch? Just cut it up and sell it for scrap metal. Okay maybe that's a bad idea, fire + oil doesn't always make for safe working conditions.

A friend of mine had a similar issue with her insurance company because her house didn't have siding on about a 1/3 of it. The previous owners had gotten about 1/2 way through a renovation and residing project and then gone into foreclosure. So it was cheap enough, but couldn't be insured, and her bank wouldn't finish the loan app without insurance. What a mess.

Anyway good luck.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mhibdon
I like cheerleader Mike. Should we call him "Matt"?
How about Mickey? Then we could sing to him.

Last edited by almeeker; 11-16-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Try adding about 50 lbs to that and you have my Chloe'. Well Macie too although she prefers to nap most of the time now. But go to clip nails and ... I have to hold them in my lap, upside down like a baby and fight for each clip of the nail. Then I file them with a really rough file to get closer to the quick and they practically fall asleep. But I tried to dremel them once! OMG!!! Never again!
ROFLOL, that is too too funny. All I have to clip are the toenails of a 5lb rabbit, who doesn't mind a bit, but then again I've never flipped her over and fired up the Dremel! LOL, I bet she'd fight me pretty hard if I did. I do have one of those pedicure things, it's the cheap pink girl version of the Dremel. DH laughed so hard at me when I bought it and asked why I didn't just use the Dremel in the basement to groom my feet. So I explained to him that the Dremel has grossed me out ever since that sewer pipe project , raw sewage everywhere... If it hadn't been for that incident I certainly would have used the Dremel to halve the acorn squash I've been baking this week, OMG they are rock hard this year, and BIG. Although the idea still has merit. Maybe I'll ask Santa for a power tool this year instead of a new dinette set.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
How about Mickey?
Hey watch it. You may be able to get my evil twin, Mark, to be a cheerleader but not me. I'd never want to be called "Matt", b/c I don't get walked on.

If you are what you eat, then I am going nuts. I've had 2 servings of almods already today. It's a good thing that they are good for you but I'm starting to feel... blah.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

April, my Chloe' is about the same size as yours but I never have to clip her nails. She loves going for long walks and the concrete files them down for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Wow Darlene that stinks about your oil tank. We actually have two in our basement. I haven't heard of any issues involving insurance with them being there though. I am with Amy though. I would see if there is a way to drain it and have it cut in half and removed. Maybe not with a torch LOL but maybe a saw or something?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dar n
My son and his girlfriend are moving out Feb 1st their big Christmas gift is going to be laundry baskets filled with salt, pepper, mustard, mayo , spices, canned foods, coffee, tinfoil, toothpaste, etc. all the things they assume will just magically be in the cupboards when they open them. It was not cheap to do but probably no fun at all we are going to wrap everything individually just for fun, it will be a culture shock since he’s used to laptops, Xboxes etc. but hey welcome to the real world it’s not all big bows and toys.
My son is going to get a shock this year, too. Now that he's married, he won't be getting his usual long list of gifts. I'm writing a modest check for he and his wife to share. For the past two years, I've done a ton of shopping for them both and I think that they have returned most of it, so to heck with them! lol I'm cutting WAY back this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.