FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Cultivating Gratitude (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/566-cultivating-gratitude.html)

Built 03-03-2010 10:11 PM

Cultivating Gratitude

Some wonderful ladies on another thread were discussing the power of gratitude in dealing with the day-to-day stress we all encounter. I've learned first hand the power of gratitude to quickly change my outlook on life. It's something I need to focus on daily so I thought I'd begin a thread to help. Feel free to add your own!

1. This forum! So nice to have people to walk the path with.
2. My career.
3. The gift of learning...no matter what our age.
4. Soft, clean sheets:)
5. Completing an exercise session feeling exhilerated.

mcestnik 03-04-2010 12:34 AM

Great idea!

1. that at 5:55 every morning my puppy crawls up on my pillow and cuddles in my hair waiting for the alarm to go off at 6.
2. a clean slate and new day every morning.
3. feeling sore when i wake up because i know i worked my toosh off the night before in the gym!

Amazon2Andes 03-04-2010 02:06 AM

My list:

I think a lot of people miss out on the joy that surrounds them already, when focus always seems to be on what we don't have.

I am grateful for:

1. Having a job I love!
2. My passport
3. That my passions not only sustain me, but help others, too.
4. All the beautiful places I get to see
5. Having the health, wealth, and time to enjoy these things.

Wylie7 03-04-2010 06:07 AM

This is a wonderful idea!!

1. My children's smiling faces when they see me walk in the door.
2. My supportive husband.
3. Having a career that is fulfilling and I love to go to everyday.
4. Having the option to work part time so I can spend more time with my kids.
5. Having a home to live in, food to eat and a family to share it with.

agarner3706 03-04-2010 07:03 AM

Great idea Beth!!

1. The sun is shining in full force & it's above 40 degrees
2. Making my son laugh when I tickle him.
3. Loves the funny faces my daughter makes when she watches tv.
4. Going to Taco Bell for lunch and being good.
5. My hot husband!

Ilikechocolate 03-04-2010 08:59 AM

I love this idea! I am much happier with gratitude in my life and try to focus on all the amazing things I do have instead of what I lack.

1. Having this forum as I am in the starting stage of this journey
2. My cool job that allows me to do cool things that I enjoy!
3. Being able to feel gratitude.
4. Being able to change the things I can
5. Having resources for the things I am challenged with

cjohnson728 03-04-2010 11:52 AM

Thanks, Beth, for the thread!

I know I'm sounding repetitive on some of these, but...

1. My awesome family (son and husband)
2. An awesome family of origin (parents, siblings) that was stable and didn't leave me with a lot of obstacles to overcome later in life (I'm a shrink so this is important to me :))
3. My health and fitness-in-progress, and the feeling of strength it gives me
4. Supportive friends in real life and on this board
5. A gratifying job that is flexible, challenging, and fits me perfectly
6. Common sense
7. Knowing that I have choices and have the power to make good ones
8. Knowing that I will be forgiven (by myself and others) when I make not-so-good ones.

Built 03-04-2010 09:51 PM

New day...fresh opportunity to keep my gratitude garden growing!

1. Forgiveness (as in self-forgiveness and forgiving others since most of us are doing the best we can with what we presently know).
2. The days are getting longer and my day lillies are just starting to emerge after a long winter.
3. Money to afford to meet my obligations (many folks out there who cannot).
4. The ability and freedom of choice to create a beautiful life.
5. Smiles from friends and strangers.

Amazon2Andes 03-05-2010 02:37 AM

I like this, starts my day off smiling!

Today I am grateful for:

1. Feeling better each morning when I wake up.
2. Each morning having endless possibilities
3. My friends
4. That my clothes aren't as tight as when I put them on last.
5. That I have this place to come to for positivity and encouragement - Thanks!

Built 03-05-2010 10:14 PM

1. Gas fireplaces that warm my bones on cold mornings.
2. Enjoying a fresh, hot cup of coffee early in the morning while everyone is still asleep as I take stock of my day.
3. Completing tasks I set out to accomplish.
4. Finding a special pair of pants that don't fall off of my daughter's dog who came to visit and (SURPRISE) decided to go into heat!:p
5. Successfully ignoring a craving for sugary food and later realizing I feel better for having redirected my thoughts.

runawayspoon 03-06-2010 03:09 AM

I am glad to have a positive focus place-- great idea!
I am grateful for:
This amazing opportunity to experience life on planet Earth
The beauty of people , places, living beings surrounding me
My health, and a body able to experience life
My loving and thriving children and grandchildren
Supportive and willing friends, family, husband
An amazing experience as a full time student after teaching for 32 years

That kind of sums up the big stuff.....and grateful to all of you who are helping me get my body back!

Built 03-06-2010 10:17 PM

Runaway: A couple of times I've noticed you mentioned "planet Earth" which reminds me of the Abraham-Hicks Law of Attraction series (excellent IMHO). Are you familiar with it?

As to gratitude, a few years ago someone recommended the book "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. If anyone hasn't heard of it, I highly recommend it. As a part of the "program" she recommends keeping a daily gratitude journal as the single most important transformational tool. I found that to be true so I consider this my mental workout:)

1. Sundays (no schedule to keep except formal worship if that's my choice)
2. Extra time found to devote to the whimsicle.
3. The way seeds sprout under proper care.
4. Remembering things I admire about my husband of 33 years.
5. My 16-year-old daughter's smile.

KimmyRocks 03-06-2010 11:36 PM

me too! me too!

1. I'm grateful for the 9 months I had off. Though unemployment is scary, I was able to really decompress after 5 years of high-stress levels and ridiculous schedules. I was able to achieve peace and balance.

2. I'm grateful to be back to work. This job is just right for where my head and my heart are at right now. The hours are steady and the start time of 9am allows me to get my workouts in with plenty of time each morning.

3. I'm grateful for fresh, clean, and neatly folded laundry.

4. I'm grateful for the first light of the day during my walks with smoochie poochie in the morning. :) Gotta love a gorgeous sunrise.

5. I'm grateful to be blessed with a sound, healthy body that responds and does all I ask of it. I'm happy for the opportunity to make the most of it.

Amazon2Andes 03-07-2010 12:27 AM

Each day, something to be grateful for

1. The beautiful sunrise I was witness to yesterday morning while setting up for work
2. The perfect day that I got to spend outside with wonderful people.
3. That I have made it thru one week of being accountable for everything I eat and I am still loving it.
4. That I joined the gym - the cold will not stop me from walking!
5. That I know where to find other people who want to make the most of their day in a positive way.

Built 03-07-2010 10:29 PM

1. Clarity in thinking.
2. My little Rat Terrior, Zoe.
3. Hitting every stop light green on the way to work and leaving in plenty of time if they all end up red so I'm not stressed.
4. The feeling of satisfaction after organizing a closet that was once scarey to enter:)
5. Discovering a new recipe for dinner that's easy, tasty and quick.

mcestnik 03-08-2010 12:32 AM

1. My husband and his support through all of this
2. A new house (not so much cleaning it though)
3. A job I enjoy going to
4. 2nd day shipping (have a bridal shower to go to next weekend and i went shopping for a punchbowl this weekend and could not find one that wasn't expensive or big enough, thank you Internet!)

cjohnson728 03-08-2010 12:38 AM

1. People with quick wit that are thankful for things like second-day shipping...my morning laugh.
2. Having a work-at-home day in a peaceful and quiet house.
3. Daylight hours getting longer bit by bit, and birds singing in the morning again.
4. The little bit of soreness that's a reward from last night's weights.
5. My husband finally working steadily again after four long years.
6. Not giving in to wanting just-one-more-snack last night before bed.

Amazon2Andes 03-08-2010 02:43 AM

So many things to be thankful for each day

And to day it is:

1. That I didn't let my mind limit my capabilities, and I finally took that long bike ride over the causeways to the beach. I have been working up to it, and yesterday I just decided to go for it. It was hard, but I loved it.
2. That I am really enjoying going to the gym.
3. That I didn't let my non-supportive family members derail my efforts.
4. That I feel I am getting even more out of life now.
5. That my first week weigh in was a 3 pound loss!

Built 03-08-2010 10:28 PM

Attitude of gratitude

1. Good tunes to listen to while I increase my cardio health.
2. The gift of a free gym membership for myself and family.
3. Living in a country that values life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness:)
4. The clients that trust me to help them reach their goals.
5. A good night's sleep.

cjohnson728 03-08-2010 11:52 PM

1. It's warming up here and I can do my cardio class outside today...finally!
2. That I still have work in the face of state budget cuts, for now.
3. Mom's birthday...she made it to 78, and that she finally quit smoking last year.
4. That I have an awesome son who shows more responsibility, diligence, and dedication to his obligations than I ever could have hoped (now if he could only use the hamper!).
5. My work ethic...thanks, Dad...

Amazon2Andes 03-09-2010 12:54 AM

And on this Day...

1. All the fun events I will be setting up for this week.
2. That my business is still growing in this weak economy.
3. That my employees actually look forward to the days they work.
4. That I have everything I need - so many go daily without the basics!
5. My warm fleece robe, because it is still so cold out!

quinnesec 03-09-2010 01:23 AM

So Much To Be Thankful For...

1. My amazing husband of 18 years and an even more amazing relationship.
2. My self motivated, highly achieving children. (So lucky for this one!)
3. My clearly obese cat who makes me laugh.
4. THE SUN! Finally! And spring and temps. in the 60's!
5. For losing my weight in time for spring and all the cute clothes in the
stores!
6. For the nice lady at the dollar store that told me how nice I looked in my
new jeans... I am eternally grateful! :D

runawayspoon 03-09-2010 04:07 AM

Hi Built-- I have read The Law of Attraction.....yes I do believe in a lot of that kind of thing, about how you create your reality by the kind of attention you give to things, be it positive or negative (that's kind of in a nutshell, isn't it?) Being alive is such an amazing gift-- the older I get the more I get it.

Today I am grateful for the longer days, the blooming magnolia trees,Sammie my dog, Jim my husband, the perfect score I got on my first assignment, the flowers on the plum tree and baby figs on the fig tree and just making it.

And I am grateful for all of your warm and welcoming regard.

GennyF 03-09-2010 04:52 AM

Thankful For

1. My wonderful & beautiful family
2. Having a job I enjoy
3. Waking up happy
4. Watching my little doggy try to avoid the mud puddles
5. The snow is melting

mambogirl81 03-09-2010 10:05 AM

After posting on the 5-15 lb weigh in this morning and not having lost weight, I was driving over to the local park to run and thought "who cares about the scale, I have so much to be grateful for" so here is my list for today.

The snow hear in PA is finally melting and the sun is shining.
My very active kids are all healthy -all five of them:)
I have stayed faithful to eating and exercising since signing onto Fitday a month ago.
I actually ran 4 1/2 miles at the park this morning after not having run outside/hills since the fall.

Thanks for all the things you all have posted. They have encouraged me and often brought a smile to my face.

runawayspoon 03-09-2010 01:21 PM

wow-- MamboGirl-- 5 kids! Lucky you! That is so amazing!:p

tdiederich 03-09-2010 01:51 PM

Just found this thread while listening to some really inspirational music. The two together couldn't have been more appropriate. I think this thread is wonderful.

1. First and foremost, I am grateful for a wonderful and supporting husband
2. Two daughters who grew up to be beautiful and wonderful women
3. Three darling grandchildren who brighten my day when they come running up to me with a big smile and giggle yelling "grandma"
4. My two cats who insist on sleeping with me each night (one under the covers snuggled up to my chest and one on my pillow above my head)
5. All the new friends / support I have found on this site who are making my journey so much easier. Thank you.

:p Tracy :p

Built 03-09-2010 10:53 PM

1. Watching my 25-yr old daughter who recently broke her engagement with her boyfriend of 5 yrs move through her confusion and grief and get to the other side as she begins to blossom in her new career as a teacher and coach.

2. Having the occasional morning off from work.

3. Living in a part of the world where I get to experience each of the four seasons.

4. Seeing old friends I haven't seen in a while and picking up right where we left off.

5. My house--not too big, not too small.

Lizzycritter 03-10-2010 02:49 AM

Today I am grateful my husband came home safe from work one more night. I am grateful my children are healthy and happy. I am grateful for the changes I am beginning to see in myself, not just on the scale, but more energy and more patience with the kids. I'm still a work in progress, but I am grateful the progress is finally beginning to show.

mandab1 03-10-2010 03:09 AM

I am very grateful for:

-My amazing husband

-My dog Tiger, I know some people think I'm crazy but I swear, she is the 4 legged version of me.

-my great aunt, whom I can talk to about anything, and she always gives me very honest feedback. (sometimes, too honest)

-the supportive people on this forum.

-Mangoes! :p

RunbikeSki 03-10-2010 05:47 AM

The inspiration of all of you...

...is truly gratifying
I am eternally grateful for my health - I run because so many cannot.
I am grateful for all of the public servants that keep the streets lit, the mail coming, and protect me in emergencies (even the grumpy ladies at the DMV)
I am grateful for my little family of husband and 2 silly kitties
I am grateful for a job I love and the freedom it gives me
I am grateful that we live in peace at home when it seem so hard to acheive for so many countries.

Amazon2Andes 03-10-2010 06:27 AM

Daily Gratitude

1. That after going back to log my little splurge from last night, I had still burned more calories than I took in!
2. That I have the most awesome veggie stand about a 45 minute walk from my house.
3. That today is warm and sunny and perfect for a bike ride.
4. That I have a 45+ mile long bike path just two blocks from my house.
5. That I have faith that today will be the day I make it over all 4 bridges on my bike, without having to walk up part of them.

quinnesec 03-10-2010 07:57 AM

Today, I am grateful for rain! I've seen nothing but snow since November. I had forgotten how peaceful and relaxing it can be. And for my heating pad... don't ask.

Built 03-10-2010 10:06 PM

Keepin the gratitude growing...

1. The daffodils and tulips are coming up.
2. My four awesome children.
3. The talent my husband has of fixing almost anything that breaks.
4. I'm healthy and alive.
5. Feeling revitalized after a good night's sleep.

cjohnson728 03-11-2010 12:22 AM

Today on my mind is...

1. The soaking rain...not too long ago we were in a severe drought.
2. My health insurance...after dealing with self-employment, unemployment, and medical issues, insurance is nothing to be taken for granted.
3. My heart rate monitor...it's taken a lot of the guesswork out of calorie burns.
4. The freedoms I have...on all levels.
5. Three lazy, purring kitties who get to spend today inside snoozing while I run around in the rain!

Amazon2Andes 03-11-2010 12:54 AM

1. That yesterday WAS the day I made it over all 4 bridges on my bike ride without having to walk part of it!
2. That I got out yesterday when it was nice, because here comes the rain again.
3. All my customers, for without them I would be broke.

Built 03-11-2010 09:49 PM

1. Daylight savings time begins on Sunday! More sunshine to enjoy.
2. All the people in the world who contribute to the well being of others...just because that's why we're here.
3. My hairdresser:)
4. My husband comes home today after being gone a week. Enjoyed the alone time and appreciate the together time more when he travels.
5. My weights downstairs on days I don't want to go to the gym.

quinnesec 03-12-2010 04:17 AM

After a long winter, today I am grateful that the snow has melted and I can actually see my entire yard and walk out onto my deck. Can't wait to change the clocks! :)

Built 03-12-2010 09:50 PM

today...

1. Feeling sore from new muscle fibers worked after doing "negatives" on chin-up bar.
2. My soft, light-weight PJs.
3. All of you inspiring, persevering ladies:)
4. New hotwater heater...no more cold showers.
5. That it is raining and not snowing. Whew-what a winter!

RunbikeSki 03-13-2010 03:32 AM

Saturday

... saving up carbs so that we can have buffalo cheeseburgers for dinner - yum
... Folk music We saw Carrie Newcomer last night, a wonderful poet/songwriter with a Quaker inclination towards peace and harmony. I love all music, but since folk doesn't get much air play these days last night was a reminder of how gentle, yet powerful the messages are.
... Goldfinches at the feeder
(Kind of ecclectic this morning) ;)

Pam