Notices

Cultivating Gratitude

Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default I am grateful that I got there in time

I run along a canal pretty much every weekend. The canal is concrete lined with steep sides. It is about 10 feet wide and 4 or so feet deep. The water moves along pretty quickly on its way to irrigate orange and avocado groves. Yesterday as I was shuffling along I noticed a woman and here son up ahead watching something in the water that I thought were ducks - not unusual. As I got closer I realized it was a medium sized dog that was trapped in the canal, unable to climb out. He was exhausted and frightened. When we tried to approch him he growled and bared his teeth, so grabbing him wasn't a good idea, although I would have tried if I hadn't found a very large downed tree limb. We were able to drag it into the water down steam of the pup so that he could climb up on it. Once he seemed pretty secure in the branches we were able to drag him and the branch to shore.

Of course he had not collar let alone tags so there wasn't much else we could do. And he didn't want much to do with us, which was understandable given his situation. There are several small ranches and stables along the canal, so I assume he wasn't too far from home. But boy I would have liked to have given the owners a piece of my mind.

I am pretty sure that if I hadn't come along, he would not have made it. The woman who spotted him first was totally lost on what to do, and I don't think that he would have lasted too much longer.

I am so grateful that I could rescue him, but so annoyed with people who don't care enough to collar and tag their pets!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

No extremely early training sessions this week

26 yr old daughter who broke her wedding engagement a couple of months ago and was heart broken has 2 guys that want to date her...she's beginning to realize that there really are more "fish in the sea".

Butterflys are back!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Weight goal achieved!

I am super grateful for all the support, guidence, and luck (really...no major drama in my life over that last 3 months that might have derailed my effort, that doesn't happen very often).

It's another lovely day in SoCal, the todo list is long, but do-able, and life is good!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Congratulations!

Way to go on reaching your weight goal! Woo Hoo!!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

I am grateful for

my new, healthy grandson and daugther are doing well;
the sunny day and breezy conditions today;
short work day today;
finally gave away lawn mower and mulcher that we've been storing forever.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

I'm on day 2 of a 3-day high carb diet before I go get my blood tested (possibly diabetic or prediabetic). Today I ate a donut for breakfast because it was on my doctor-approved list of foods. How often do you get to eat a donut and say my doctor told me to?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:20 PM
FitDay Member

I'm grateful for

1) being part of a loving family

2) having great friends to socialize with on the weekends

3) everyone who writes on fitday
i just joined less than two weeks ago and I am really impressed with this community. I'm finding that even though I don't get to see or talk to you in person you are great at making me feel welcomed and respected. i feel like you guys are all wonderful. thank you.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default I am grateful for...

A wonderful concert from my son's school jazz band yesterday (and for his bus driver, who saved his bacon when he left the trumpet on the bus Friday afternoon),

Beautiful weather for tennis today and the boys' team clinching first place,

The fact that I got about 9 square feet of my garage cleaned (including nasty shelves replaced with cabinetry),

A pair of my jeans now waaay too baggy,

And permission for giving myself the weekend primarily off.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 04-18-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
FitDay Member

Today ...

My 27 yr old son who has been living with us got a job as a production and imaging director and DJ with a Baltimore radio station and will be moving out (I'll miss him). This means I get to move my office back out of the basement

Had a relaxing day yesterday with family

Beautiful weather
Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

This thread has been so wonderful that I thought I'd better write something to bump it up. Rodale recently ran an interesting article about how gratitude can improve our relationships power of gratitude | The Power of Gratitude Grows Strong Relationships | Rodale News

Earth Day Gratitude: Today I'm especially grateful for the beautiful places on the planet I've lived & vacationed; granite mountains with sheer cliffs and snowy peaks out West and the rolling Eastern mountains clothed in gentle shades of green in spring and summer transmuting into a fireworks display in the fall, some shrouded in that smokey blue Appalachian haze, the countless beaches, lakes, canyons, forests & deserts. I'm grateful to be healthy enough to enjoy & appreciate them and having a good man in my life to share these experiences with. I'm also grateful for all of the people who volunteer their time & energy to keep these places clean, the trails repaired, & who keep legislators from selling it off for resources so that many more generations can experience them.

Last edited by desertmountain; 04-22-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.