Notices

Why now?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why now?

Well I was happy to have lost approximately 60 lbs. since July, most of the time without struggle. Through most of this time, I didn't even really have any junk food cravings. For the last few weeks I've been getting them really badly. Last night I couldn't stop thinking about macaroni & cheese, or those egg, cheese, and bacon biscuit breakfast sandwiches from Whataburger, or fried breaded catfish, french fries, bratwurst, etc. I guess what confuses me about this is why this is bothering me now when I thought I had re-trained my mind to crave the good stuff and I didn't have this problem for months.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rubystars
Well I was happy to have lost approximately 60 lbs. since July, most of the time without struggle. Through most of this time, I didn't even really have any junk food cravings. For the last few weeks I've been getting them really badly. Last night I couldn't stop thinking about macaroni & cheese, or those egg, cheese, and bacon biscuit breakfast sandwiches from Whataburger, or fried breaded catfish, french fries, bratwurst, etc. I guess what confuses me about this is why this is bothering me now when I thought I had re-trained my mind to crave the good stuff and I didn't have this problem for months.
When was the last time you had a cheat day or cheat meal?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

I have this trouble more now than when I weighed 244.6. I don't know why it is either. It could be you've just lived at a deficit so long your body is screaming out for some junk. You can cave or you can hold out against it, either way it's going to be rough. If you cave chances are it'll make you sick and you can learn it all over the hard way, if you don't cave you'll still be on track and chewing off your fingers. When I get like that I usually try and stave it off with diabetic chocolates and/or Laughing Cow cheese wedges. Although it sounds like you are craving grease and salt with a carb overtone? Maybe you need to eat something with good fats in it, try an avocado, stir some flaxseed into a cup of yogurt or eat something cooked in olive oil (I swear by flaxseed). Eggs have a good bit of fat too, so a cheese omelet might give you some relief or a hundred salted almonds. Hang tight, and Mike is probably right in thinking you need a cheat day, a cheat meal anyway.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 AM
FitDay Member

Here is a healthy and delicious way to cure that craving for the egg, bacon, cheese biscuit. Get egg substitute or use only egg whites, the fully cooked bacon that you simply microwave is only 70 calories for 4 slices, use the 2% cheese and try those pita pockets or sandwich thins. Every other day I eat a cheese omelet with bacon and toast and it isn't even 300 calories. And it fills me up. You can add onion, mushroom, and peppers to give it more substance and get your vegetables in for the meal.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that the body craves what it thinks it needs, and being in a state of deprivation from some macro- or micronutrients, or even just calories, can trigger those cravings. I know I have read that pregnant women's cravings are often tied to nutrients they need in their diets; I can imagine the same process might be at work here. Even people who naturally eat healthy (or those who have trained themselves to do so) get cravings for junk now and again.

Everyone is different, but I know if I go too low on my calories, whether I feel hungry or not, I will totally rebound in the not too distant future and compulsively eat. It's a constant balancing act to eat at enough of a deficit to lose, but not so much that I eventually sabotage.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

I don't really do the cheat day thing because I don't want to sabotage myself. I do eat avocados because each one really isn't that many calories.

The past couple of weeks my calories went up from an average of 1400 to more like 1700 so I haven't been losing anymore just been stuck on a plateau so eating more calories would be bad because I might gain again.

I haven't actually given in to this stuff although I like the idea of the healthier version of the egg and cheese thing thank you

It's just I get these random cravings that don't seem to make a lot of sense to me because they come out of the blue. I'm able not to give in to them but it's still a bit maddening. Most of it seems to be greasy stuff I'm craving too which is weird. I had a small serving of baked potato chips that were only about a hundred or so calories but it didn't seem to do much to help.

I used to eat a lot of cheese when I was heavy and I don't eat very many dairy products anymore (I don't particularly like milk except in smoothies or ice cream or cheese). I should get some yogurt maybe. If I am missing something maybe taking a vitamin supplement might help?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I do appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

If you think you can be disciplined enough to get back on the wagon, I'd suggest just getting your craving out your system. It should easy your mind and send you to the toilet. You'll probably get a kick start off of it.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Maybe I will. It's not so much that I'm craving one thing though, that's the weird part. It's like all the 'bad' foods from my past are coming back to haunt me or something. lol Halloween is over!

I was able to find substitutes for some things. Wanda had a good idea too in this thread. I'd rather substitute than eat something really high calorie because if I eat something really bad I'll have to try to cut back the rest of the day in other ways.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 AM
FitDay Member

Not sure if you are, but I'll just say try not to beat yourself up over it. It's not your fault. It's not that you can "train your mind".

It's all chemical. Our bodies are technically addicted to sugar. When we take in something that our bodies think is sugar (sweeteners, etc.), we get an insulin spike and our bodies want more. Insulin is kind of like Jekyll & Hyde to us.

Maybe try to look at what you are eating and see if there might be a sweetener in something you are eating/taking (yogurt, protein powder, even gum) that could be triggering a slight insulin spike and thus, a craving.

Just a thought and kind of a shot in the dark. But good luck.

(Yeah, I'm a guy. But I saw this thread in "New Posts" and thought I'd share an idea since I'm studying to become a trainer and my course recently covered this. Cheers.)
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys again. Stick I do use artificial sweeteners but it has never caused this kind of problem before. I was using them as a substitute for sugar for years a lot of times which is probably why I wasn't any heavier than I was when I started.

I don't really like water plain unless it's summer time and I'm hot, then an ice water can be refreshing. Plain tea is too bland to drink and soda has a huge amount of calories if it's not diet.

It's either sugar or sweeteners of some kind and sweet and low doesn't have any calories (or has very little about 2 maybe per packet). I also drink Propel water which I think has sucralose in it, that is tolerable to me because it has fruit flavors in it.

The tap water tastes differently than it used to because we're getting some city water now which is filtered better, but the water out here used to taste HORRIBLE because it had a strong mineral/clay taste. Now if I don't sweeten it then I can taste bleach in it. That's not really desirable either. Plain unflavored bottled water has an unpleasant mineral taste.

About the only plain water I really like is distilled water. No nasty tastes in it, just clear clean water. I can literally go through a gallon of that a day if I buy one, but I heard it pulls minerals out of the body, so I consider that to be an occasional pleasure. If the water's not distilled, it needs to have some flavor to it for me to cover up the other nasty flavors like minerals or bleach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.