Notices

Full from lunch but craving sweets really bad

Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Full from lunch but craving sweets really bad

Hi I started to diet. I am doing really good, had a salad and chicken breast for lunch. But right now even though I am full I am craving something really sweet. It is really bad. What do I do to get rid of this filling?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

I know exactly what you mean~I have got a serious sweet tooth. I don't know what kind of diet you're on so I don't know what you have to limit (carbs? fat?) so be sure to read the nutrition lables. I'm on South Beach and they allow 100 calories of these per day: sugar-free jello; sugar free dark chocolate (also tried the 90% cocoa); sugar-free fudgesicles; sugar-free hard candy (you get the fewest calories and carb grams with most of these).
I also use diet sodas to quench that craving. If you're not into artificial sweeteners then I'd stick to the low sugar dark chocolates.
Good luck with managing those cravings on your diet!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default Small steps...great job so far today!

You are making a lot of changes, so be gentle with yourself and take it slow. At this early point, I would suggest just making some substitutions, maybe with the suggestions from desertmountain if you are not put off, like she said, by artificial sweeteners or processed type stuff. However, you know yourself better, so if it works best for you to go cold turkey, then that's what you should do; everybody's different.

I swear by lowfat frozen yogurt for my sweet cravings. It's about 120 calories per half cup (even the Oreo cookie and Moose Tracks kind!) and to me tastes just like ice cream. Also, if just plain fruit doesn't do it for you, try adding a bit of fat free whipped cream, just enough to make it feel like a treat.

I found an old recipe for a cake my grandmother used to make this weekend and in looking at it, there is no butter or oil. I made one and it came out great and was very simple. 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, 5 T. boiling water, 1 cup flour, 1 t. baking powder; mix all together; beat the egg whites stiff and fold in. Bake at 350 about 25 minutes. It's about 120 calories and 1.5 g. fat per square (12 per an 8X8 pan), has the consistency of a sponge cake, and we ate it with strawberries. (Of course, my grandmother would fill with custard and top with chocolate and powdered sugar, but we won't go there).
Old 03-14-2010, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

I have the same problem. I have found that if I just have a small amount I can be satisfied. For instance, I bought some jelly beans. The ones that I bought are 5 calories each. So, if I eat 10 jelly beans, I am only out 50 calories. If I suck on them and let them melt in my mouth, I am completely satisfied. I pack 10 in my lunch each day and eat them in the late afternoon when the craving hits. If I can do it, I KNOW YOU CAN! I used to eat 2 candy bars a day, sometimes 3.

20 down and 40 to go.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
FitDay Member

Oh my gosh i had this problem this afternoon. I had a really filling egg-white omelette for lunch and I was stuffed, but all of a sudden i was like - omg i really need something sweet! Like chocolate! or something! I haven't had chocolate or diet coke for about 2 weeks and i used to have both on a daily basis and i've been FINE up until now. But luckily there is nothing in the house, so i should be ok..........
Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
FitDay Member

Try a piece of gum. I love the new strawberry Trident layters. It's pretty low in calories, distracts you from wanting to snack, and it's good.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by littlelenna
I have the same problem. I have found that if I just have a small amount I can be satisfied. For instance, I bought some jelly beans. The ones that I bought are 5 calories each. So, if I eat 10 jelly beans, I am only out 50 calories. If I suck on them and let them melt in my mouth, I am completely satisfied. I pack 10 in my lunch each day and eat them in the late afternoon when the craving hits. If I can do it, I KNOW YOU CAN! I used to eat 2 candy bars a day, sometimes 3.

20 down and 40 to go.
I've done this with sugar-free Lifesavers, chocolate kisses and M&M's. Sometimes when that craving hits me really hard I let myself have one single bite. Just one, let it melt in my mouth and viola' craving gone or quieted a little anyway. I used to think that I couldn't let myself have a bite, because then the dam would completely burst and I would gobble up maybe 1,500 calories before I regained control, but I'm over that now. Just one single bite, that's all it takes to shoo the craving completely away.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

I've found that sometimes the craving is all in my head... so I do two things.

1: Brush my teeth. It fills my mouth with a strong minty flavor, and who wants to eat something with THAT taste already in your mouth? If I'm not hungry, and it's just a craving for something sweet, this combined with #2 usually does the trick for me.

2: WALK AWAY. If you have chocolate or sweets in your house, make sure you are nowhere NEAR that room, especially when you're craving (it might be smart to go throw them out later once your craving is under control). Once you're in a different room, with your mouth minty fresh, busy your mind with something. Even if it's just a TV show you saw yesterday, or a funny joke you heard, think of SOMETHING ELSE (I usually read a chapter in my favorite book at this time).

Note that once in a while (like once a week), it's good to treat yourself if you were good all week. For example, I like to go to Wawa and get myself a Little Debbie brownie/cake every Sunday, but only if I obeyed my diet all week. Little Debbie's I've found are much healthier for you than Tastykake's, ect.

Hope this helps.