FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Today's Test... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/545-todays-test.html)

mcestnik 03-01-2010 12:33 AM

Today's Test...

Food Fest at work. One of my co-workers is coming back from Iraq and the department is throwing a food fest for her. These days are the hardest at work. i find myself thinking about the food sitting 15 feet away from me more than i think about my work! I know i shouldn't eat it, but it's like I black out and wake up and there are 3 cookies, a cupcake and crackers right in front of me. Like it walked over and just plopped right in front of me to say hi. It's so hard to stay on track when things like this happen at work, and not to mention with all of the candy dishes and "just because it's monday" donuts that people bring. I pack a lunch box with good snacks, but what can beat the mini snickers at Mary's desk???

Well, I'd like to say today, i'm done with it. I'm done with the three plates of crap from the fod fest with a small piece of broccoli to make up for it. I'm done with the two snickers here, 3 reeces peanut butter cups there. The bloated and defeated feelings are gone! i'll take on the challenge of seeing the food walk by my desk and NOT getting carried away or distracted.

Besides, i've got a lot of work to do!

Wish me luck!!!

~Miki~

cjohnson728 03-01-2010 01:39 AM

You go, Miki! With that attitude, you are going to do great! Maybe if you feel the urge to go snack, grab some water or gum or make yourself write down why you want it; tell yourself to wait 15 minutes and see if you still want it...anything to get you more conscious of what you are doing and get you back on the right track.

We have a regualr Tuesday check-in if you want to commit to checking in how you did tomorrow when you post. Your choice; people are checking in with whatever they want to be accountable for. You can do this!!

I wish people would find ways to celebrate that don't involve crappy food :mad: !

mcestnik 03-01-2010 05:54 AM

Thanks! i am home for lunch now and i did great this morning. i didn't even go near the food. i felt hungry and ate the banana i had packed, then went back to work. it's hard smelling the food as people walk by, but i stop and say, how is this going to make me feel emotionally and physically... and the answer is usually unhappy and sluggish. it's been keeping me on track so far, lets see how it does this afternoon.

desertmountain 03-01-2010 09:21 AM

Miki I'm so impressed with your resolve and strength! I was reading your first post thinking that I would have to keep bags of sugar-free treats in my desk or sugar-free jello in the fridge (if there's one there) just to not go into my typical self-pity deprived 'void' or not to have those goodies walk over to my desk, too. You did great. I love the things that you told yourself and I'll remember you the next time I'm in that situation.
Yeah, I completely agree. Celebrating special events with empty calories really suck and we need to find something to replace it with. It would be different if we lived in the 1800's when those types of foods were rarely available but now, it's not special--you can buy empty calories/high fat/high sugar anywhere and most ppl are trying to avoid the stuff. Maybe we should come up with new ways of celebrating things. I've been sitting here trying to think up things and am drawing a blank.
You did great! congratulations.

Lizzycritter 03-01-2010 11:06 AM

Today I hit my first goal-20 lbs lost. To reward myself, I bought new nail polish. My toes are now electric blue with flower decals on the big toes ;).

I agree, work is hard. I work for a vet, farm animals and house pets, and on top of employees bringing donuts, brownies etc, every holiday we have the dairy farmers' wives drop off real homemade candies, cookies, all kinds of stuff. Some days I have my lunch in the back with the dogs just to avoid temptation. Many days I wish Purina made Human Chow so I could just measure out 2 cups, three times a day, and be done with it-no food tracking, no balancing out nutrients, have it all done and in a bag, ready to go.

mcestnik 03-01-2010 11:37 AM

I DID IT!!!! Not only was I able to avoid all temptations of the food fest, I didn't eat any candy, sugarfull or sugarfree. i just had a couple pieces of gum and stuck with the veggies i packed in my lunchbox. i feel great now and i'm full of energy. I'm going to log this day and whenever i face a challenge remember it! i feel like the guy in that Adam Sndler Movie is standing behind me saying... "You can do it!!" haha!!!

cjohnson728 03-01-2010 12:14 PM

Great job, Miki!

Enjoy your success and be proud! Thanks for sharing; we can all get through these days...one challenge at a time.

missmaggieelizabeth 03-01-2010 04:17 PM

Miki so happy for you. Way to go!!!! Your post is inspiration for me too.Thanks for working through this and sharing with all of us.

Maggie