Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/10/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/10/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 10/10/11

Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

I'm loving all the family history posts, it's like watching the history channel only better. Bit of a history buff myself. My dad's father was in the navy during the war, he saw some action but mostly from a gun turret, not face to face. The funny part about him was that he really wanted to be a pilot, but he was too short to fly one, but he was just the right size to crawl inside them and fix them. We have a few other family vets, my dad's younger brother went to Nam and my nephew served 8 months in Bagdad. It was a loooong 8 months, I got into the habit of praying almost constantly in my head. I don't know if that works or not, but he's home safe. Darn near wore out my rosary beads on that kid.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Tuesday report

Avoid processed meats & cheese YES, NO
Exercise 5 days YES, YES

Calorie limit 1600 1110, 1481
Sat fat average 12% of total calories 8%, 12%
Dietary cholesterol average 300mg 151, 222
Carbs less fiber limit 25g 22, 20.4
Fiber 30g 37, 37
Veggies/fruit 5 servings 6, 6

Fish oil, vitamin D YES, HALF
Water 64 oz. HALF, NO
Artificial sweetener limit 2 packets 2, 2

Sugar free chocolate limit 2 miniatures 2, 2
Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

Health/Fitness Goals
1. 80oz water daily M: Yes, T: Yes,
2. No stuffing junk in my mouth M: Yes, T: Yes,
3. Exercise when hubby leaves for work Weds-Fri M/T: N/A, W: Yes,
4. Limit to one diet soda daily M: Yes, T: Yes,
5. No added salt on my plate except specific foods M: Yes, T: Yes,

Life Goals
1. Do something outside 3 times this week M: No, T: No,
2. Cross-stitch project 3 times this week M: No, T: No,
3. Put lotion on feet nightly M: Yes, T: Yes,

So this morning I worked out when hubby went to work. I increased my dumbells to 12lbs each. Who would think 2lbs on each arm would make a difference. But it does! I had to take a few extra breathers and I added in some stretching during those breathers just to keep moving. So I ended up at an hour. That is the longest work out that I have done to date. After eating pumpkin roll and not really liking pumpkin my hubby came up with the idea of making the same recipe but with banana. Guess I see that baking day in my future because I love banana breads. I have done well with the pumpkin roll in the house though. And I divided what is left in half so the boys can share it after school today.

Hope ... sorry that I missed you aren't feeling well. I hope that your fibro flare settles down soon.

Rose ... first let me say I am totally jealous of you right now. Your pictures are beautiful especially the one with the lamp reflections. Then you are working out like crazy!! Go girl!!! Your grandparents story is just awesome. It is horrible to think of things that our ancestors went through for us to be where we are today.

Quinn ... Sounds like things are looking up. And I had to laugh over your power with baked goods.

Amy ... Your mom sounds like she is doing an awesome job as the Grandma. I am envious. My kids don't have awesome grandparents except one that lives 6 hrs away. ... I think I have to put my money on you in the Amy vs Teacher donut match!

Darlene ... I enjoy racing too. His truck is still in project stage. But once he does start taking it out, I'm sure I will go along. There is a track about 2 hrs from here that does Mother's Day races and the mom's get to race. I told him that if he does this truck up I wanna do it! He gets partially through a project though and finds something else he wants and will sell what he has and move on. Mostly I think because we never have the money for him to just build it from start to finish. It always has to wait.

Main80 ... I figured you would feel them today. Since you felt them while you were doing them. I didn't really feel mine while doing them. I haven't done them yet again. I'm thinking Friday so it's been a week.

Terri ... everyone has something that is there thing that they will splurge on. I do my hair as well. I have never colored it but I do perm it and it takes 3 perm solutions when it gets past my shoulders and then it costs $85-100. Luckily since it is long it usually only needs done every 2 yrs. But last time it wasn't shoulder length yet so I think 1 yr is gonna have to do it this time. That will be New Years. Maybe that will be my reward if I make it to 250 by then!

Mike .... sorry but did you really expect her to pay you money for that? I know how that works between divorced parents all too often. Sorry she stiffed ya.

Cassie ... your plans for the weekend sound good. Sorry your son has to miss his tournament but sometimes things happen for a reason and I think you needed a weekend off. And good job on staying away from your cravings last night!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
FitDay Member

Having a good week:

Calories below 1500; Y, Y,
Water and green tea Y, Y,
Exercise Bike ride, B.R.,

I'm reading all your posts however find it impossible to reply to all. For those having a bad day remember "This too will pass". Of course that also applies to good days so savour them.

I take home cooking or donuts to some of the groups I work with. My last item was chocolate dipped fruit. It was well recieved.

Mary
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

7 year old grandson is home with me awaiting a doctor appointment. Pediatrician told my daughter after hours last night to take him to the emergency room--jaw and neck both in front of and behind the ear below the jawline all swollen. Emergency room couldn't tell what is causing it, so they prescribed an antibiotic just in case that would help, and told daughter to take him to the pediatrician today. Daughter is on her way back from work.

I composed a long post yesterday to catch up with the posts--composed it on WordPad, got interrupted to run an errand and minimized it instead of saving it. When I went back I found that one of my grandkids had inadvertently deleted it. Don't have time to read the thread again and recompose, so I'll reply as best as I can remember.

Rose, the tip about copying the post that won't go through, refreshing the page, and then pasting the post into the reply text box to submit again came from a friend. It wasn't my discovery.

Terri, you are doing great. That little regain will come off soon.

Quinn, OMG, when it rains, it pours! All those unexpected expenses in just three weeks is awful! LOL on your DD stopping at McDonald's after her restaurant job, too. I made a dish last night I hadn't made in a long time--an Italian green bean recipe I cloned pretty well after the restaurant owner said he could give me the recipe, but then he'd have to kill me. He wouldn't tell me the ingredients but did confirm I was right about the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and beef broth but wouldn't give me the proportions. DH and I both love it, so it doesn't matter that it's not an exact clone.

Cassie, I hope things start getting better for you. Can you share the good news your son got from his tennis coach? I hope things start getting easier juggling your old and new practices. I haven't made any new recipes for a while--will have to work on that. Will go back to trying two new foods or recipes per week.

Gotta go.

Kudos to all who are doing well and huge cyberhugs to those of you who are struggling.

Last edited by Mern; 10-12-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

What? Wednesday? Huh?

I had to read through you all and didn't take notes, but I have to say you all have me wanting to bake this week! All this talk of homemade treats and breads!

Rose, those were some beautiful photos, and quite the story of your grandfather, I love hearing stories like that.

Here's my goals as of this morning.

Health:
  • Take dog to the park at least twice this week: M=took him on a 10-15 min walk T=Nope, but at least bf got him out for an hour of fetch
  • Calories Limit to 1700: M=1410 T=1665
  • Don't Snack after 9:00 PM: M=None T=None
Other:
  • Write 2 Blog Posts: M=None T=Started 1
  • Measure the Kitchen!: M=Nope T=Sigh...
  • Organize Office: M=... Yeah No... T= Hahahahaha....

I really think my last goal is unattainable... especially since I'm still thinking in the back of my mind of turning our basement into a full office (with meeting area and everything) So that I can freelance more. I also want a new desk badly my current one is far too small, but I'm shocked at how expensive desks are.

Dog/Cat are doing okay, dog doesn't listen to my bf much though, knows I'm in charge He ran and scared the cat yesterday, she hid in the basement for a couple hours crying. But I think they're both over it now, she made sure I couldn't get much work done after that, sitting on my laptop as I worked and demanding belly rubs and just in general being adorable.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Rose,

My dad's story was kind of similar. He was severely injured in a bomb explosion, somehow crawled into a cut-out in a hillside and was also greeted by a group of high ranking German officers. He thought he was a goner but then realized that they had been captured and disarmed. He spent the next year in various European and American hospitals. It was during his hospitalization overseas that he was able to collect the items shortly before he came home. He, as well, was so severely traumatized (he was 20 at the time) that he pretty much refused to speak of any of it. The accounts came from stories that he told my mom many years later. When I was little I would ask him about gun shot holes that he had on his legs, but he would just change the subject and not talk about it, so I get what you're saying.

Growing up with a mother holding a degree in American History, it was probably made more interesting to us than most kids. Especially being able to speak to my German grandmother about what it was like to be a German citizen during that time. (She didn't become a US citizen until the 50's.) Interestingly also is that my mom had a Japanese college roommate during WWII whose family was interned in a US camp. So every time someone knocked on their door, they thought that they were coming for her, as well.

I wish schools would teach history in a more exciting way. There are so many great stories. What American kids (and adults) know about history is pretty much shameful. But, it's not their fault. I blame the schools for not teaching it in a fun and exciting way. History classes should be like watching a great movie that you can't wait to see what happens next. But sadly it's not.

Keep me in your pocket as you wonder the streets!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Update

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Mike .... sorry but did you really expect her to pay you money for that? I know how that works between divorced parents all too often. Sorry she stiffed ya.
I posted yesterday about the glitch that I discovered. I heard back from 2 people that donated to me but it didn't show up. My ex was one of them. I'm sure there are more out there. I'm going to get it corrected one at a time.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MAIN80
Mike, those calf raises are killers and surprinsingly the pain only increases as time goes by. But so far its still the good kind of pain, I will need to do them tomorrow again.
Haha. If you are in any pain, I wouldn't do them again until the pain is gone. Try going for a short walk.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

I totally agree Quinn....actually my boys were just having a dinner discussion about how boring history is (sorry) and how they wish they would learn more interesting and current things than the same history lesson over & over since grade school. My point was...if they start at the beginning every year how will they ever get to learn any new information? And I do think they need to know current events and what is going on in the world today. Neither of them are having that at all right now in 7th & 9th grades.

My FIL was in Vietnam. He does not talk about it but my husband was born about a year after he returned home. He can remember his dad having night terrors and screaming at night from the memories when he was young.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.