Notices

Motivational Thread Starting 9/26

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
FitDay Member

I didn't make it to check in over the weekend and I did eat some things that I shouldn't have but those foods came in between all the work that I did in my bathroom. I spent over three hours with my fingers picking off a wallpaper border that was applied directly to the drywall instead of over paint. Almost no piece was bigger than the size of a quarter and it was about 15ft long. Then I spackled behind it because some drywall paper came loose too. And sanded, then spackled some more and sanded again. And clean up. Then Sunday I taped up and painted. Then rehung all the towel rods and TP holder & a new shower rod (new curtain & hooks too). Another day or two and I can put the caulking strip around the top of the shower/tub and then put my border on the walls and reinstall the cabinet doors. It looks great already though! And to top all that off, I am barely sore from all that work. Just the bottoms of my feet from standing on a step ladder barefoot. lol

Rose ... fall decor for me is to get rid of the summery flowers in the vase and replace with fall type flowers (wheat strands, peacock feathers, brown & reds), also I like to have acorns and pine cones in dishes or baskets in different places in the house and sometimes I will go in the woods and find really vibrant colored leaves and iron them inside wax paper so they don't dry out so fast and use them as decoration too. There are a few figurines as well.

Ann ... I think a dog treat fundraiser would be an awesome idea!

Mern ... That is great news on your hubby's BP! It just goes to show what a healthier diet can do for your body.

Mary ... A bike with brakes would be a good thing.

Darlene ... I hear you on the diet talk. I was going a bit overboard in the beginning as well. I then realized that I was doing to people what another girl had previously done to me and that was to tell me how bad everything was for me when I wasn't ready to hear it. I have backed off on it and mostly only talk about if asked because I don't want to alienate people or give them the feeling that I think I am superior to them.

Amy ... You only get one double digit birthday per child. It sounds like her party was perfect and I bet she had the time of her life!

Most of my goals this week will probably be life goals instead of exercise but that doesn't mean that I will be vegging out, just moving in a different way. Dad is supposed to be coming on Sunday and I need to have everything ready so I can just enjoy his visit instead of worrying about the state of my home. I know he doesn't care what it looks like, but I do.

Health/Fitness Goals
1. 80 oz water daily
2. No mindless eating
3. Only one diet soda daily

Life Goals
1. 1hr house work daily not including daily chores
2. Border bathroom
3. Caulk around top of tub
4. Laundry
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

Wow some big scary looking goal lists in here

I'm going to start small right now I just really want to keep under 200lbs now that I'm under the mark.

I also need to lower my sodium intake, due to some money issues (Not for much longer since my boyfriend finally found a job ) We've been scrimping on cheap and fast food. So I've been getting way too much salt.

So Goals:
- Lower Salt
- Don't Gain
Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

Glad to see so many back for another round! Well, I finally got my wish and I'm having a totally lazy day... and it feels pretty darn good. The weather here is absolutely terrible... high winds, cold and rainy and it doesn't appear it is going to change for several days.

Spent the morning cooking supper so that I could take this afternoon totally off. That's the problem with rotten weather... I usually find myself in the kitchen... close to the food... close to the fridge... well, you get the idea. I've been good though and treated myself to a nice, big mug of apple cider instead of something high calorie and nasty.

almeeker,

Birthdays are always a disaster for me! And I have a ton of them from now until Christmas, including husband's and daughter's 18th. Then you factor in Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas and it's no wonder the scale tilts in January! Plus, you know how it is in the north... when the weather gets cold, we start cooking and baking (and eating!) Then there's this addiction that I have with birthday cake... if it's in the house, I'll eat it continually until it's gone. Sounds like your kids had a wonderful time, though!

April,

I did the bathroom remodel thing a year ago on two of our bathrooms. Ugh. It's so much more work than it looks! Luckily, I had no wallpaper to peel (although I've peeled a ton in my life) but I did do floors, walls, fixtures and vanities. They look incredible and I saved a ton of money doing it myself. (Thanks Dad for teaching me how to do minor home electrical and plumbing!) My dad was a Mechanical Engineer who insisted on doing everything himself... well, almost by himself. He made us kids help as a "learning experience". He remodeled a 90 year old Victorian home (everything, including electrical, heating, drywall and plumbing) and although I hated it then, I've saved hundreds, maybe thousands over the years doing as much as I can myself. My neighbors all think I'm crazy when they see me work around the house, but secretly I kind of enjoy it. Men always treat me like this little stupid blonde until I start to answer some of their remodeling, plumbing or electrical questions. My home-repair mentor, my FIL, recently asked if I would teach him how to finish drywall as he had never tried it before! (My recent garage project must have passed inspection!) As long as it doesn't require lifting, I can probably do it. Besides, I think women are pickier than men when it comes to finish work. It's always fun to have men assume that I'm petite, blonde and dumb when in reality, I can handle my own.

Last edited by quinnesec; 09-26-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I did the bathroom remodel thing a year ago on two of our bathrooms. Ugh. It's so much more work than it looks! Luckily, I had no wallpaper to peel (although I've peeled a ton in my life) but I did do floors, walls, fixtures and vanities. They look incredible and I saved a ton of money doing it myself. (Thanks Dad for teaching me how to do minor home electrical and plumbing!) My dad was a Mechanical Engineer who insisted on doing everything himself... well, almost by himself. He made us kids help as a "learning experience". He remodeled a 90 year old Victorian home (everything, including electrical, heating, drywall and plumbing) and although I hated it then, I've saved hundreds, maybe thousands over the years doing as much as I can myself. My neighbors all think I'm crazy when they see me work around the house, but secretly I kind of enjoy it. Men always treat me like this little stupid blonde until I start to answer some of their remodeling, plumbing or electrical questions. My home-repair mentor, my FIL, recently asked if I would teach him how to finish drywall as he had never tried it before! (My recent garage project must have passed inspection!) As long as it doesn't require lifting, I can probably do it. Besides, I think women are pickier than men when it comes to finish work. It's always fun to have men assume that I'm petite, blonde and dumb when in reality, I can handle my own.

I am with you there Quinn. Finished our guest bathroom as well...took wallpaper down, put new vanity top in, light fixture, faucet, etc. Didn't cost that much and looks like a brand new bathroom. And I love doing projects myself as well...you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment when its over. And I am a blonde polack so I totally get the underestimated thing you encounter as well!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

Good grief I can totally relate to that being underestimated business. I actually have brown hair, but to a brunette it's blond, although any self respecting blond would say I have dark hair. Anyway if you add big boobs to that blondish hair thing, people can't believe I tie my own shoes, let alone conquer a home improvement project (and don't even get me started on the guys at the auto parts store!). In fact I could redesign the whole thing and get a job offer from the planning department in the process. But at Home Depot or Lowe's I'm too stupid to push my own cart and talk at the same time. Heaven's.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

I went for a complete health assessment at my gym. The fitness trainer checked everything from my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, waist to hip ration, BMI, etc. The good news is I am pretty healthy! AND I was weighed and am down another pound! The bad news is my cholesterol is slightly high which I have never had before! I was shocked. The trainer said it was probably British food that caused it. I am perplexed but I am going to try and get it down by lowering my fat intake.

1. Calories capped at 1300. M:1274
2. Average 30% protein for the week. M: 29%
3. Keep fat at 25% or lower. M: 24%
4. Minimum 2 litres of water per day. YES
5. Take my vitamins. YES
6. Exercise 4X.
7. Achieve a 6000 calorie deficit for the week. M: -917

Quinn, thanks for starting us off this week!

Terri, I am so happy to hear that your cold is gone!

Mern, I am really thrilled to hear that your hubby is watching what he eats. Looks like you had a positive influence on him! Good for both of you!

Darlene, yay! Congrats on losing 2 pounds! Great job!

Nailkita, welcome! Definitely go at your own pace. I think it's better to make goals that you feel you can achieve. I started out with less goals and gradually added more as I went along.

Amy, of course you have to celebrate your daughter's birthday. The great thing about you, is that you always get back on track and you always take immediate responsibility for your deviations. I think that is really admirable.

Ann, I hope you had a great run tonight!

Mike, glad to hear that you are off to a good start! I bet you will have an amazing week!

P.S. I cannot get this forum to work for me tonight! Can't do colours and this is literally my 5th time posting this. So annoyed.

Last edited by mtlgirl; 09-26-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hi guys!

Remember me?

I've been insane lately - more so than usual - and one thing that helps me remember what I'm trying to achive is reading your posts.
I'm kinda like the prodigal wowgirl, except you didn't give me half your inheritance when I left.

So I'm at 101.75, and doing Paleo. I tried to do it a few weeks ago (there's a 30 day challenge that is basically only meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs - except fruit and nuts aren't that good for weight loss...), but crashed and burned, but this is officially day four of my rebooted challenge, and I just had to duck in to say hi to everyone, and post my very basic goals.
  • 5 bottles of water daily (600ml each) - Y
  • Gym - Y
  • Eat Paleo - Y
  • Find out if I should be taking a supplement - N

Cause I'm one day ahead of ya'll, that's Monday's results for me.

Oh, right, and I quit my job, so gotta go and keep tying up lose ends... four more days!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Good grief I can totally relate to that being underestimated business. I actually have brown hair, but to a brunette it's blond, although any self respecting blond would say I have dark hair. Anyway if you add big boobs to that blondish hair thing, people can't believe I tie my own shoes, let alone conquer a home improvement project (and don't even get me started on the guys at the auto parts store!). In fact I could redesign the whole thing and get a job offer from the planning department in the process. But at Home Depot or Lowe's I'm too stupid to push my own cart and talk at the same time. Heaven's.
UGH! The Home Depot thing! Don't even get me started. (By the way... can I borrow the big boobs?? Got shorted there somehow...lol) Like I've said before, I was young and single (early 20's) when I bought my first home. Although I had offers to go out to dinner, I rarely had offers to help me shovel the driveway or do home repairs. Thank God for the library and home repair encyclopedias! lol At a party last year, I wore a black, short dress, black, high heeled knee boots, and piled my hair kind of loosely on my head. On one side of me, I was talking to a contractor about a floor tiling project that I was working on. Seated on the other side of me, was a dear friend of mine who is a flamboyant chef. I was bouncing back and forth between the two conversations when my husband walked by, shook his head and said, "That's my wife."

Last edited by quinnesec; 09-28-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

Mern. Welcome back, we missed you.

Darlene. Good loss, way to go girl.

Quinn and April. I am more than impressed with your bathroom projects. I am no stranger to doing most things myself, having had years of no money and no one around to help I tackled most things. Last year I decided to have the bathroom ripped out and completely redone and if my partner had been in this country I might have taken time off work and given it a go with his help ( we built a lovely garden summer house in a weekend last year). However I went with a contractor and although the finished room is fabulous it cost a lot both in money and frustration with the workmen. I'm planning on re-jigging the kitchen before Xmas, just have to decide what I want to move.

Hanging my head in shame, I have adjusted my signature to reflect the 3.5 lbs increase which has crept on since I got back from hols. They will go.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, you guys are amazing! I'm pretty sure I could mow the lawn if I had to, but that's about the extent of taking care of the house (aside cleaning! :P).
My folks aren't really hands on, so I wasn't ever around that kinda thing, though I'd love to learn. You go DIY-girls!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.