Notices

what am i doing wrong

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Talking what am i doing wrong

started eating really well over two weeks ago and have given up eating rubbish I am walking a lot with the dogs and have started swimming but do not seem to be losing weight. What am I doing wrong ! I need some support and motivation anyone willing to help.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi carolalicia,

Yup, lots of folks have, and are, walking in your shoes. But before anyone can offer any suggestions, you will need to provide a little more information. The arithmatic of weight loss is pretty simple: burn more calories that you consume and you will lose weight. BUT how each individual applies that equation to their own lives is unique.

Have you been tracking every little thing you put in your mouth? Have you been brutally honest with the quantities you log? And you you run through the "weight goal" exercise to estimate you daily calorie requirement?

Come on back with a bit more info and you will probably get more advise that you bargained for
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

There's a simple test to see if you HAVEN'T been appreciating the impact of the calories you are eating:

Find out the necessary calories you will need to lose weight (fitday has tools for calculating this stuff but there's information all over the Internet to tell you the same thing...) Decide on the number. Then, for the next 5 days, eat only prepared (frozen) meals you can buy in the supermarket. The calories are clearly marked, with all the nutritional information, for those meals.

At the end of the five days, if you have faithfully ONLY EATEN the clearly marked counted-calories meals that are measured and frozen for your convenience (no do-it-yourself stuff allowed here!), then see what your weight loss is.

That's your situation, and that's your starting point. It's your diet to 'mess up' with inaccurate calorie-counting and 'forgetting' what you ate. If you only eat these pre-measured frozen meals, you've got an excellent count of your calories and you can see the results of x number of calories daily.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
There's a simple test to see if you HAVEN'T been appreciating the impact of the calories you are eating:

Find out the necessary calories you will need to lose weight (fitday has tools for calculating this stuff but there's information all over the Internet to tell you the same thing...) Decide on the number. Then, for the next 5 days, eat only prepared (frozen) meals you can buy in the supermarket. The calories are clearly marked, with all the nutritional information, for those meals.

At the end of the five days, if you have faithfully ONLY EATEN the clearly marked counted-calories meals that are measured and frozen for your convenience (no do-it-yourself stuff allowed here!), then see what your weight loss is.

That's your situation, and that's your starting point. It's your diet to 'mess up' with inaccurate calorie-counting and 'forgetting' what you ate. If you only eat these pre-measured frozen meals, you've got an excellent count of your calories and you can see the results of x number of calories daily.
great advice!
I do often forgot what I eat. To really lose weight you need to be meticulous about measure your food.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Have you been tracking every little thing you put in your mouth? Have you been brutally honest with the quantities you log? And you you run through the "weight goal" exercise to estimate you daily calorie requirement?

Come on back with a bit more info and you will probably get more advise that you bargained for
RUNBIKESKI , you took the words right out of my mouth, except for yours sounded much better.

I read this, earlier, and I didn't know if I should comment in the women's section since I arent one.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

I totally agree with the advice you've already been given and I would add that sometimes it's not always how many calories you've eaten, but what those calories are made of. Take a look at your pie chart and see where your macros are at. Chances are you're not getting enough protein to build muscle, and since muscle burns calories more efficiently than fat, you need to make sure you're getting enough so your body can build muscle from all that working out. I like to keep my pie chart at 25-30% protein, but when left to graze on whatever I want it ends up closer to 10%.

Another suggestion would be to make sure you're getting enough water. 64 oz baseline + 8 oz for every 10 lbs you want to lose. Some people downplay the water issue, but personally I can't lose without it, and I feel better all over when I get enough, so I'm more prone to be active and eat right etc. etc.

Last edited by almeeker; 09-03-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jackdup
I read this, earlier, and I didn't know if I should comment in the women's section since I arent one.
Gee, that never stops Mike...
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Mike isn't a girl??? I am shocked :-)
Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
gee, that never stops mike...
ditto
Old 09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have skipped posting a couple times, depending on the subject and if I don't know the person asking the question. Some women may get offended to have a strange guy reply on a personal matter. Yes, I said that I'm strange.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.