Notices

30 Pound Club?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Good job Kayjay

2.2 pounds per week is really super and requires a lot of dedication. Thanks to FitDay, we can do the math and to lose 2 pounds in a week requires a calorie deficit of more 1000 per day. Congrats!

I can just feel the 150's coming on for you.

keep on keep'n on everyone!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default My My How Time Does Fly!

Hi All,

I've been away since the 16th on a business trip and I'm so happy to see we have 8 new additions! Welcome DeathArrow, jennmarie03, krk454, whitediamondpdx, Annavi, DreaDia, Jelynla and miss_kennedy!

Some great posts to read and successes to celebrate.

I probably gained at least 5 pounds during my period, which always throws me for a real psychological loop.

However, I'm grateful to report I only gained one pound in the end.

I consider this nothing short of a miracle when eating out every day. I did order salads faithfully which is the only thing I can think of that kept me on track.

Any suggestions for that monthly weight gain? When I'm trying really hard to lose, it is difficult to tell myself it isn't true weight gain!

I'd really appreciate any good advice on this!

All my best,
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

Post Water Weight

Originally Posted by 7sisters
Any suggestions for that monthly weight gain? When I'm trying really hard to lose, it is difficult to tell myself it isn't true weight gain!
I don't have a lot of advice. Just try to remember that it's water retention. One gallon of water weighs eight pounds, so that means that two cups of water is one pound. Does that help put it into perspective?

Does anyone know why the female body retains water during menstruation?

I read some interesting information regarding water retention due to excess sodium from the links on this page: Google Answers: Sodium, Water Retention and Exercise. What I found most educational was:

If your body has a tendency to retain fluids, it might seem logical to assume that you should drink less water. However, the opposite is true: in order to lose the excess fluids you're retaining, you may need to consume MORE water. Dehydration can cause the body to retain fluid, which will be released as you increase your water intake. The goal is to keep lots of fluid flowing through your body. This can be achieved by increasing your fluid intake while watching your intake of dietary sodium.

"Contrary to popular belief, drinking water can actually help you shed excess water weight. When water is in short supply, the body, thinking there's a shortage, begins hoarding it. This water is stored in extra cellular spaces. In other words, your skin starts looking soft and puffy... If water retention is a chronic problem, it may be because there's too much salt in the diet. The higher the sodium intake, the more the body tries to retain water (to dilute its concentration). Either reduce salt intake or drink more water."
I find it very interesting that water is retained to dilute the concentration of sodium in the body. It makes a lot of sense, but I never would have come to that conclusion on my own.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by krk454
Does anyone know why the female body retains water during menstruation?
Answering my own question after a brief visit to google. Sounds like hormones are the cause.

What Causes Premenstrual Fluid Retention And Edema?

Women have an increased risk of water retention and temporary weight gain during the run-up to a period, due to the rise and fall of hormone levels. Hormones alone, or in combination with other body chemicals, can cause edema due to increased fluid retention. Exactly how do these hormones cause premenstrual water retention? The answer is, we don't know.

Some experts believe that the reduction in progesterone, in the week before menstruation, leads to more progesterone being broken down which signals the kidneys to retain water and sodium. As well as this, a water-retaining compound (an anti-diuretic hormone) may be secreted, which causes more water to be retained.

Other experts believe that PMS water retention is due to fluctuations in blood sugar. For example, when someone does not eat for many hours, blood sugar levels typically fall very low. This causes the body to secrete adrenaline, which tells the body to release stored sugar from cells in order to normalize the level of sugar in the bloodstream. However, when sugar is removed from the cells, they fill up with water, causing (it is believed) weight gain, bloating and water retention symptoms in premenstrual women. The point is, women with PMS tend to release adrenaline a lot sooner than do women at other stages of the menstrual cycle.
Quoted from Water Retention, PMS, Fluid Retention.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 7sisters

I'd really appreciate any good advice on this!

All my best,
The only suggestion I have is that before your period to make sure you're drinking quite a bit of water, and while you're on it, to keep drinking that amount. I don't know why we retain water, but I learned this a long time ago that if you keep drinking water while on your period, your body won't feel the need to retain it. I know Krk posted an article saying what I've said, but it does help alot (from my experience) if you keep drinking water. you might still gain "weight" from all the water your drinking. Nothing to really stop that, not that I know of at least, sorry :/
Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Post 30 pound club's for me!

Hi, I'm a newbie - was recommended it by the India & Neris Idiot Proof Diet book (very funny). I'm 37, 5' 8" and 182 pounds and I want to lose 30 pounds. This is the heaviest I have been in 10 years - I was soooo good when I was pregnant but now I'm the same weight I was just before I popped and my son's now 17 months!!! I'm doing it the high protein/low carb way and this site is brilliant for the custom food creation. Being a Scot, we call things different names over here but I'd love to join a weigh-in, just let me know the day
Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks for the Responses and Howdy Vivobliv!

I really appreciate the pitch-in to help me understand this phenomena(non?) better. I'm definitely going to commit to drinking more water every day!

Welcome to Vivobliv! I think Friday is the day for weigh-ins. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

You're right, Friday is the day for weigh ins.
Willkommen Vivobliv! Happy to have a Scot here I have a book on my living room table That's about Scotland, it's full of pictures and little readings about the pictures. It's awesome, Scotland is one of the countries I love along with my other favorite countries.
ANYWAY, good luck here!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Wink 150 by July? YES

Hi Everyone! I just joined FitDay three days ago, and I'm still getting the hang of it. One thing that I really need, though, is the support of other women out there working to change their lives as well! So, even though I see that this post was made about a month ago, I hope you guys are still going on with the 30 lb group. Let me introduce myself. I'm Liesl, and I'm 20 years old. Right now I'm 184 pounds and 6 feet tall. I was really overweight growing up from the time I was 12 until 16. When I turned 16, I had an epic turn around and completely cut out every single bad food (i.e. sugar, candy, desserts, processed carbs, starches, soda, fried foods.... etc etc etc) i went from 190 lbs to 143 lbs by the time i graduated high school (almost 18 yo). I didn't exercise AT ALL. Now, I'm 20, studying in China (hello, land of deep fried foods and super skinny people). I'm almost back up to where I started. This time though, I don't want to go back to America and still be fat. So, it's my goal to be 150 lbs by July 20th. Can you guys give me some support?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

I'm new to fitday. If you have 2cups of something where do you find how to put that in. I put 1cup in 2times for somethings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.