Notices

Managing cheat days

Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

I need to have balanced meals-- protein, fat, and carbs for every meal according to the dietary guidelines my doctor and I worked out together for weight loss and general health for ME. But if someone's doctor says HE/SHE needs only veggies for breakfast, I can respect that, even though it would not be healthful for me.

If one person dislikes or cannot have certain foods, there are plenty others from which to choose to fulfill one's dietary needs, achieve weight loss, and manage medical conditions.

Last edited by Mern; 08-12-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I give myself 1 day a week.
That's what works for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I "give" myself... sometimes I "take" more. That's what gets me in trouble.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
I need to have balanced meals-- protein, fat, and carbs for every meal according to the dietary guidelines my doctor and I worked out together for weight loss and general health for ME. But if someone's doctor says HE/SHE needs only veggies for breakfast, I can respect that, even though it would not be healthful for me.

If one person dislikes or cannot have certain foods, there are plenty others from which to choose to fulfill one's dietary needs, achieve weight loss, and manage medical conditions.
I just see so many people on here and other diet web sites struggling. Saying they're hungry. Saying they keep gaining weight back, etc. I don't see why there is this need to struggle when there are nutrient dense, low calorie foods available that people can eat large portions of without guilt or weight gain.

Mostly they're eating processed foods in large quantities I think. At least produce is relatively unprocessed (might be sprayed with pesticides, but you know). I notice when I eat more processed foods my calories add up quicker.

Things like eggs and fruits and vegetables and things like for example slow-cooking oatmeal, these are healthier for people, more filling, more nutritious, and less fattening.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I just see so many people on here and other diet web sites struggling. Saying they're hungry. Saying they keep gaining weight back, etc. I don't see why there is this need to struggle when there are nutrient dense, low calorie foods available that people can eat large portions of without guilt or weight gain.

Mostly they're eating processed foods in large quantities I think. At least produce is relatively unprocessed (might be sprayed with pesticides, but you know). I notice when I eat more processed foods my calories add up quicker.

Things like eggs and fruits and vegetables and things like for example slow-cooking oatmeal, these are healthier for people, more filling, more nutritious, and less fattening.
When I first started this journey, I didn't measure or log anything. I didn't know much about nutrition but I made better choices. On occasion I would have something bad but not like my cheat days now.

I think that after a while you get to the point that you can actually play around and experiment without gaining the weight back.

There are many reasons why people over eat, and it's probably NOT b/c they dislike healthy foods. People eat when they are happy, sad, bored, or just have a craving that needs to be satisfied along with countless other reasons.

For me, a cheat day is to get the cravings out my system. It's not that I don't like nutrient dense food that's good for you, it's just that after so many days of it I feel like I start craving sweets. If I don't just get it over with I may snack here and there for days on end. After I cheat, I nearly make myself sick. I feel bad enough so that I won't want it for a while... maybe a week.

IMO if your diet has been really clean for a while, and you shock it by throwing it off you can lose weight. Usually it's b/c you'll spend a lot of time on the toilet b/c your body will reject it, and then some.

I've asked myself, if I didn't have my cheat day would I be in better shape and the answer is that I really don't know. If I could stick to clean eating every day, yes, but I'm not so sure I could have. I may have given up a long time ago b/c I like to eat. I love food, it's that simple.

Like I said before, there is no one size fits all. Hell a while back I decided to do high fat (enough fat that would probably spin your head), high protein and low carb. My diet was simple, I'm talking bacon, eggs, grilled steak, chicken (with the skin), sauteed mushrooms and onions in REAL butter, my salads always had full fat dressing, veggies. Nothing was low fat, not even the cheese. Oddly enough the weight came off too fast, not b/c I spent the day on the toilet, b/c I didn't but it was the change that my body needed. BTW I documented everything. I was my own guinea pig, and it worked... for me.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-13-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 PM
FitDay Member

I think it's great if everyone can find something that works for them. It's just when I see people who are starving themselves in order to lose weight I wonder why they don't at least eat a salad so they're not hungry.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's great if everyone can find something that works for them. It's just when I see people who are starving themselves in order to lose weight I wonder why they don't at least eat a salad so they're not hungry.
I thought we were talking about cheat days??
Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

Well, if we all can just eat tons of vegetables and fruit, oatmeal, whole grain..... all the healthy stuff that we suppose to eat. And exercise as we all suppose to do. We would be all healthy. We would be so happy. Nobody would need to be here (fitday). Nobody would need diet book or diet plans. All the food companies would have to go bankrupt b/c no one would buy their food.

Sound like heaven, doesn't it?
And if some one can bottle this, that person would be rich, rich , rich... Over the year I have learned that most of us (who have struggle with the weight) are somewhat addicted to food which is tough. If you addicted to cigaret, alcohol, drugs, coffee, soda.... You can just quit cold turkey. But you need food to survived. you can't just stop eating. So it is a lot tougher to control, to manage it. If quit smoking, drugs, coffee..... take 1 will power to be susceed. Diet and exercise take 10 or more will power.
I am glad that you enjoy such large amount of vegetable and fruit. I am happy for your progress. Keep it up. But please don't push it on other people. We are all different. And there is no "one size" fit all.
Tell you the truth. I don't hate vegetable, rather love them. But I can't eat a plate of carrot and tomato for breakfast (as you).
Mai
Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
FitDay Member

I didn't think I could do that either until I did. My typical meal before was about 600 calories now it's around 150. I know how addictive that stuff can be. I still get these thoughts a lot of times about gorging on things that I don't need and won't help me, but the good part is I'm not physically hungry, and that helps so much...

but if you guys can do cheat days and manage it well then good for you

I may not be as strong as some of you in the sense that if I had a 'cheat day' I would gorge on the bad stuff rather than just eating some of it. I have higher calorie meals sometimes but keep it in context of the total calories I have to spend for the day.

Last edited by Rubystars; 08-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone is different so doing what works for "you" is all that matters. I can easily deprive myself but why would I? That's not fun and it would kill my social life! And I would probably be a grouch because I would feel sorry for me, lol!

I look forward to my cheat meals. I also don't starve myself the other days. I eat whenever I get hungry. I normally eat 2-3 times a day and eat most of my calories late at night. I don't eat breakfast because I am not hungry until I have been up for a few hours. I also eat low carb because I like it.

I certainly wouldn't tell other people they need to do it like me to lose and maintain weight. Just like I wouldn't appreciate being told my way doesn't work. It works for me.

I can only offer advice on what works for me and what hasn't worked for me. I do have to say by allowing myself to eat what I am craving once in a while, I don't feel the need to gorge because I don't feel deprived. If I go on vacation I enjoy myself then get right back on track when I get home.

The way I eat is part of my healthy lifestyle, it is my daily diet, not a diet that is meant to end just because I hit my goals.

ETA: I just saw you edited while I was replying. I don't really think it has to do with being strong. I look at it as food will always be there. I want to enjoy my health and have fun without worrying what I look like so that makes it easier to say "Ah, I'll have that 600 calorie treat on my next cheat day!" I worry more about my weekly caloric intake because the weekly total counts more than one day. Even with my cheats it usually averages out fine.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 08-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.