Notices

Need Support

Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need Support

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and just having a hard time today. I have lost seven pounds bringing me to 212 pounds, but I just feel gross and big and like I will never get to my goal weight. I'm 5'4 so I hope to get to 120, but my first goal it to get to 200. I'm doing really well with not eating emotionally and am working out a lot, but I just feel stuck waiting for progress to be made.

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

My name could read " I LOVE chocolate"..
I think most of us who have been on any weight loss journey could agree with what you have said. It takes time for weight to come off even when you feel like you are doing all the right things. You already lost seven pounds, so be glad about that and keep going. Being upset about the time it is taking will more often than not lead to an attitude of giving up. Keep working out. As you build muscle, your body will burn more calories even when you aren't exercising. Good job on not eating for emotional reasons. That is almost a daily struggle for me. You can do this. You aren't alone, and people on this forum have lots of great tips and are here to help you get to your goal.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hey there chocolate!

I know what it's like to be discouraged...been there for a couple weeks when nothing seems to work even though I'm doing what I'm supposed to be. But the reality is that if you look at anyone's weight loss graph, it never looks like a straight line from the upper left to the lower right. It's pretty bumpy and sometimes it's straight and sometimes it even jumps up before it goes back down. The problem is when it's not doing what we want and we get all discouraged and are less careful with the food choices and the exercise, figuring that it won't make a difference anyway. So keep your chin up and know that this is normal. You've done a great job on the seven pounds and identifying the trigger of emotional eating; breaking through the 200s is in store for you soon! Focus on what you're doing well and keep your eventual goals, and the rewards they'll bring, in mind.

One day at a time .
Old 02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
FitDay Member

Hey!!

Congrats on the 7 pound weight loss....that's fabulous AND PROGRESS! So you're on your way.....Baby steps get to big leaps. I start each day by looking in the mirror and saying "I'm fabulous and so deserving, and I'm going to do this (whatever it is), because I can, and it will make me sooo happy!"

I set little attainable daily goals....that are achieveable based on my progress. If it's only 15 minutes on the elliptical, so be it. It was 15 minutes of more energy!! And I set a weekly goal/reward system. Something simple like "30-45 minutes me time". Where I pick my favorite activity and get it indulge without guilt - reading, doing my nails, playing with my animals, taking my kids on a surprise outing, etc.

One of my favorite mentors has me tell myself daily, "IMAGINE, BELIEVE & RECEIVE!!!" IMAGINE what it will be like to weigh 120, picture what your new life will be like, the clothes, maybe different activities, energy, etc....then BELIEVE you can do it because it's truly only about you....just live in the moment, don't worry about the long-term....just do the things in that moment that will help you achieve your goals, that inspire you, that motivate you, then you will RECEIVE....those 7 lbs are monumental! They were the first stepping stone. You'll make it to the other side sooner than you think.

Congrats again....you can do it! Just keep the faith.....
Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks ladies for all the warm wishes and support. I teared up a little...and then went for a run!

Thanks, it means so much!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Chocolate!!!

Gosh makes me smile to say that...So glad to read the update note!! You can do it....we're all in this boat together, of one thing or another. It's fabulous having the accountability to yourself this way, and reading the inspirational and sometimes just plain,needed distractions of other fun daily stuff going on in others' lives.

Wanted to say if you want an email buddy to go thru this journey with, I'm happy to do that!! I did it with my sister and several friends who wanted, and SUCCEEDED in losing some major weight and creating fabulous new lives in terms of self-esteem, health, energy, outlook, etc. Sometimes they, and I, found it was easier to say things out of the glare of the public. But we did it in conjunction with a public forum too for even more inspiration.

Just a thought -- I know you don't know me, but I'm a really great motivating, inspirational person on just about every topic -- so I've been told from my friends (both guys and girls) :-)

Will keep checking in on you.....to see your terrific progress, on all levels!!! Keep up the good work. You took one of the hardest steps -- just starting and acknowledging these things. A big congrats to you!!!!!

debbie in virginia
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Ilikechocolate, I know how you feel. That's the way I generally feel when I'm trying to change my eating habits, on a diet or just watching what I eat since it usually comes off incredibly slowly for me now. When I hurt my shoulder last year and stopped working out I started to gain weight even though I was still doing South Beach and it totally de-motivated (felt devastated) me. Then when the holidays rolled around I gave up thinking, 'why bother?' But, it does matter. I had to take back control so here I am again. I still have 20 more pounds to go before I'm back to the weight when I gave up, then another 60 pounds to go after that.
Don't give up. don't give in. Stay with it. It's all about 1 day at a time. 7 pounds is a lot of weight. Break it down into 1 meal at a time if you have to, but keep reminding yourself of your positive progress. Everything you do counts even though it doesn't always show up on the scales.
Sometimes the weight loss will show up in inches lost rather than pounds lost when you add exercise because, as you know, muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe keeping using a tape measure for a while instead of the scales can help you to stay the course.
You CAN do it. You ARE doing it! You go girl!