Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

MAIN80, I commend you. I didn't think it was humanly possible to have one Oreo !

Mern, I don't know if it's true about the calcium, but I figure it couldn't hurt. My MIL, a nurse, says she was told by her doc that they should be taken with a full glass of water as well. But who really knows, anyway? Enjoy your granddaughter and take care of yourself.

Checking in:

1. Keep calories below 1300. 1279, 1275
2. Exercise 6 times (3X weights). Stationary Bike, Weights
3. Water, water, everywhere! Yes, Yes
4. Balance the pie chart. B-/C+, A
5. Fiber 25 g. 29, 32
6. Log everything. Yes, Yes
7. Take calcium. Yes, Yes

Well, I had some bad news regarding work at court today and I'm still worked up over the argument from my sister last night, so it is no small miracle that I made it through without chain snacking. I think I'm back at my "preferred" weight, but mathematically that just shouldn't be, so I'm puzzling along with Mike. We leave for vacation tomorrow and I'm really regretting that I went from looking forward to it to dreading it in no time flat. Families, families!

Looks like everyone's having a pretty good day; it's a beautiful thing
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
FitDay Member

Good evening everyone, I'm going to try and keep up with all the posts this week.
Goals for week progress so far
1. Stay under 1200 Yes, Yes
2. Get some exercise, anything will do to get me started. No
3. Drink more fluids ( not alcohol or soda) No
4. Eat more protein Yes a little

Everyone - *I am learning so much from you all, didn't even know what a nitrate was or that it might have an impact on my weight and health until now. *Lots of reading up for me this weekend.

Mern - *hope you have a wonderful visit with your granddaughter. On the calcium front my BIL was told to stop taking his tablets as he was O'D ing on them and having strange symptoms, maybe he should have done more research.
Cassie is right, take it easy for a couple of days and especially avoid sudden twists and turns. Even if it is only a muscle strain you need to let it settle, some gentle stretches up to where it starts to be painful is enough.*

Cassie - *really hoping that you enjoy your holiday, maybe things won't be so bad when you get there.

Mike - you seem to usually *have things under control so maybe you overestimated your bingeing. Whatever it was hope the 6lbs stay off.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all,
so I've been back to basics for about a week now, time to make some goals for this week.
1) exercise daily with one day off, totalling to 6 per week
2) no diet coke ( i can't believe i just wrote it.. ouch.....)
3) take my supplement twice daily.
4) no mindless snacking - esp. no biscuits

I have to take it easy, a few days ago I slipped and fell SIDEWAYS straight on kid's car seat (the one that looks like egg shell, for the smallest babies) hurting my back really badly. I have a bruise along my ribs thats about 2inch long and probably more bruises deeper in the muscle, sometimes like when i sneeze i get really, really bad cramps and can't stand straight for a few minutes.

My weight didn't shift at all for the last week, but according to my omron I lost 0.7% of body fat, so I must be building some muscle, which is good. I'm now 44.7% aaarg so high, I've seen a story of 300lb guy with 44% BF. I feel disgusting being this fat. Next week i set some firm calorie goals. I'm still nursing, so i can't go to low, and 1500 is my basal anyway, so 1700-1800 should be the lowest for me.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, great job, yesterday! I can get to your fitness journal, and I can see dates, but no text of what you entered.

Muna, so sorry about your back injury. Sounds so painful! OMG, my back problem yesterday is just a minor inconvenience compared to yours. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Nice goals this week. I'm 5 feet tall and about 215 with a BMI of 48 point something. I understand your poor self image, but you're working on your weight. You can feel great about that--give yourself a bunch of credit and a round of applause. Big hug to ya!

Main80--great job by you yesterday, too. Thanks for your good wishes.

Cassie, what your MIL said about calcium sounds good to me. I think I also heard that about a full glass of water with it, too. Thanks for your good wishes as well, and you know you have mine for your work and vacation. Maybe you could concentrate on just having fun yourself despite outside interference with your state of relaxation? You know, like allowing yourself a temporary state of denial like yours truly sometimes does. LOL Big hug to ya!

Lizzie, yeah, I agree with what you learned. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. I think that's why my doc told me to just take vitamin D--because other than that, my blood test showed all my other vitamin levels were fine. She told me to take only 1000 units per day based on that. I know others who take way more. I slept really well in my recliner chair last night in the perfect position with my hands stretched over my head, totally relieving my back pressure. But it still hurts to walk this morning. Yup, I think the gentle stretching is a great idea. I'll do a bit throughout the day the way you suggested. Thanks. Now how about you--can you make yourself commit to just five minutes of exercise today? Maybe say during TV commercials or five minutes before your shower or running an errand or while cooking dinner. Doesn't have to be formal--even a few jumping jacks or marching/jogging in place. I'm no exercise queen--I've just been where you are and KNOW how hard it is to get started. Come on--you can do it.

Calorie limit 1600 1621, 1137
Calorie deficit 900 per day 753 1237
Carbs less fiber limit 25g 30.6, 18.5
Sat fat limit 12% of total calories 14%, 9%
Dietary Cholesterol average 300mg per day 547.7, 155
Track protein grams and % 128 or 33%, 98 or 36%

Artificial sweetener limit 2 packets per day 2, 0
Sugar Free candy limit 2 pieces per day 1, 2
5 servings veggies/fruit per day YES, 2
Vitamin D and Fish oil daily NO, NO
Do best to avoid nitrates/nitrites started Tuesday, YES

Water 64 oz. Exercise 5 days YES, YES
Exercise 5 times DAY OFF, couldn't,

Last edited by Mern; 07-27-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning all!

I am late checking in here this week, things have been super busy at home and work. I'm gonna take a break from goals this week and start fresh next week.

Good luck to you all, see ya Monday!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

Well, the scale tells me I lost 2 lbs. yesterday, so maybe I've been visited by the Magic Scale Fairy that everyone seems to be getting visits from! But there's no telling if it will go back up again before settling (seems to be the norm for me) or if my weight's finally catching up with my effort. Either way, it's nice to see some movement.

Maybe I just needed the cookies.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Looks like I probably won't be getting in my walking today as it's raining. But, the sound of rain is really wonderful, I must say. It's been so dry and hot here. I think today's only going to hit 74 F which is really welcome. Think if I can't get outside, I'll do my new upper body workout with my hand weights.

Well, I seem to have found the pounds that Mike and Cassie have lost. Finally braved the scale and regained the same 3.5 lbs. that I've been playing with, up and down, since Christmas. (When will I learn???) I don't panic anymore, though. I know that by increasing my exercise and getting more fruits and veggies in, it will come back down pretty quickly. It used to be that once I got a taste for "bad foods", I'd just tumble back into my old habits, but it's not really like that now two years in. I get my fill and then I get sick of them and am ready to clean up my diet again which, I guess, can be classified as a win. Now my "yo-yo" dieting consists of about 4 lbs. up and down instead of a yearly fluctuation of 20-25 lbs. up after Christmas and then back down in the spring which was terrible for my health.

Cassie,
Have fun on vacation! I think our moms are about the same age and so, I'm assuming, their pantries contain similar toxic waste, cleverly disguised as a food product. I know it's hard, but try to put the incident with your sister aside, remembering how much you previously looked forward to the trip. There will be time to deal with that later. (Easier said than done, I know.) Mental lock boxes are wonderful things on occasion.

Lizzie,
It's easy to work in some walking everyday to start. If you drive to work, just park in the furthest spot from the entrance. Same thing when shopping. I always park way out in the parking lot. Take the stairs rather than the elevator or take an extra lap or two around a "big box" store when you're shopping. It's a good start and easy to work in. (No fancy work-out wear required! ) There are websites that offer exercises to be done at your desk at work, too, that no one will even know your doing. (Abdominals come to mind.) You can do it! I just started with 5 & 8 lb. weights to tone my upper arms while sitting to fend off dreaded "bat wings". (Some of my friends are starting to look as if they could fly soon! ) We'll see if it works!

Last edited by quinnesec; 07-27-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hey everybody, I miss you guys too. Just so you know, I'm still alive, but only just starting to feel like I might recover from the fair experience. Camping out on the fairgrounds in a heat wave is not for the faint of heart. It was brutal, I haven't been that sleep deprived since our oldest was a colicky newborn. In the evenings it was cool enough in the camper to sleep, but the air was so damp it made everything feel like it had just been pulled from a hot washing machine. The campsite itself was also very quiet, but the kids each took a turn waking me up, which made for 3 nights of interrupted sleep. We slept at home on the hottest night, in the air conditioning. But the last night of the fair is traditionally "the parade of world's loudest horse trailers". Which of course as newbies, we did not realize until it was too late to go home for the night. The rodeo ended at 11:00pm, so the cowboys loaded up immediately afterward, commencing the midnight start of the horse trailer parade. Every time I drifted off another one would pass by, bang bang clang clang, whinny, whinny, snort. Ugh. We purposely stayed on Saturday night was because our rabbit had to be removed from the barn by 6:30am Sunday morning, followed by mandatory barn scrubbing at 7:00am. If you skip barn scrubbing you can't show the species next year. So there was no way DD would have missed barn scrubbing, she's already planning to build a trophy case with plenty of room for the next 10 years. OY!!! I've created a monster.

It's accurate to say that our first fair experience had a very steep learning curve. Hopefully we'll be a little better at it next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The kids did amazingly well, so they are totally pumped to bring it on and mop up the top prizes next year. Middle DD is right now starting a knitting project, an afghan no less. Oh for crying out loud she's 8! I was 38 before I ever attempted an afghan.

As far as healthy living goes, I was not in top form last week. We bought the camper on the first day of the fair, so I'd never used it before and didn't know how to work the oven/stove/hot water heater etc. Which in addition to the heat made cooking really hard. By the end of the week I had some of it figured out, but prior to that we did a fair amount of fast and boxed food. I did manage to limit my fair-fried-food intake to 1/4 of an elephant ear on the last night. But we ate ice cream every day sometimes 2-3X, it was almost necessary in that heat. I also did not do well with working out or water. We started off the week with 2 giant cases of bottled water, but the kids used most of it in a water fight early in the week, so after that I just didn't get in enough water. Fairgrounds water tastes like rusty pipe, yuck. As for working out, we walked so much that I didn't worry overmuch about it. However walking around with children isn't anywhere close to a work out with Bob H.

I can feel that I'm getting into "lazy-eat-junk" mode. I got up this morning with the intention of working out, but haven't managed to make it happen, although breakfast was okay calorie-wise. Tonight I'm going to lay out my gym clothes and put a note on top that says, "NO EXCUSES". I can't afford to skip working out anymore, my HS class reunion is in like 3-4 weeks, and the weekend after that is my nephew's wedding. Last night I did a fitting on my SIL's MOG (mother of the groom) dress. She's been working out like mad, and is going to be killer in that dress. So I really don't want to have to stand next to her in my fat auntie suit.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

I got up during the night and had my 2 servings of nuts. So I had a light (liquid) breakfast of a protein shake.

Originally Posted by Mern
Mike, great job, yesterday! I can get to your fitness journal, and I can see dates, but no text of what you entered.
I forgot to save changes. Oops. Try again. 01gt4.6 - free online diet and fitness journal

Amy, it's nice to have you back, now jump on in!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 07-27-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like lots of fun happening at the fair. The scales fairy was good to me this week too - down 1.2 where I was a bit afraid of a gain; calories have not been that high but veggies and fruit have been low. I'll have to break down and buy some fresh fruit and veggies. Opened a can of Mandarin Oranges this morning just get some fruit. I'm still working on cleaning out the freezer and cupboards. Did throw the unknowns out of the fridge this morning. Mary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.