FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/18 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/4757-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-7-18-a.html)

mtlgirl 07-18-2011 01:15 PM

Report card for Monday

I have a major announcement, Everyone. In less than 3 weeks I will be leaving Canada and flying to England where I will be working for 3 months, until the end of October. I am pretty excited and I just saw some pictures of the "flat" I'll be living in and it's super swanky and modern. It's also a very short walk to an affordable gym. I'll be a 20-minute walk from work and I'm close to a park where I can maintain my running. I know it will be harder to stay on track in a brand new city but I am determined to do it. Of course you all won't miss me because the great thing about this virtual group of amazing ladies and Mike is that I will of course be bringing my laptop and you may not even notice I'm across the pond!

My goals:

1. Eat 1100-1400 calories per day. YES 1141
2. Over 30% protein. YES 43%
3. 8-10 glasses of water per day. YES
4. Take my multivitamin. YES
5. Stay away from sugar! DID IT!
6. Achieve a 7000 calorie deficit! M: -1414
7. Exercise 5 hours. M: 1 HOUR

Other goals:

1. Work on friend's wedding video.
2. Finish hemming curtains.
3. Water the flowers.
4. Go through the mail.
5. Purchase suitcase.

Terri! SO GLAD to hear that you had a great time with your BF on your weekend getaway! You were really MISSED!!!! I love the picture. You and the sweetie look super happy. Those are some nice looking goals too! That 7000 calorie-deficit is a bold one but I like it so I hope you don't mind if I steal it! ;)

Cassie, I bet you look sensational in a bathing suit already but if you want to go down a few pounds to feel even better, then I KNOW that you've got this! Get yourself some B Complex supplements and your focus will be sharper than ever. They work for me! Hope you are having a great run tonight!

Mern, great looking goals!

Joanna, so cool that you are doing a PHD in astrophysics! Glad to hear that you are needing less insulin and I am sure that you'll feel those clothes getting baggy in no time! Keep up the amazing job!

Quinn, we're having some crazy hot weather too! Good job on the goals in this sweltering inferno.

Mike, boy do I understand. I struggled myself for 3 months this Spring. All I can tell you is that you have to know that this too shall pass. It ebbs and flows. Try easing yourself back into the state of control that you had by avoiding grains for breakfast. That always helps me and then another tool, would be for you to journal your feelings first thing in the morning every morning for a while. Just write without thinking too much and without caring about the quality of your writing, just get it down on the page. Make it a sort of brain drain and end it with a commitment to yourself in writing. These are little tricks that work for me... and always always keep the faith!

quinnesec 07-18-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 51281)
Thanks ladies! This did start when I started having back issues. I don't know how I missed that.

Gumbo is a soup on top of a little rice, jambalaya is mainly rice. That was actually a zatarains (brand) mix that I doctored up with my own spices, rotel, etc. You probably can't get it in your neck of the woods. If you want I can ship you a couple boxes.

Glad to be of help... PIA is my specialty! ;)

I actually can get Zatarains here, but thanks for the offer! If you know of someone with a great, old, family recipe for jambalaya, let me know. It's one of the few things that I've never tried in my life. I have a goal. (...well, actually two) One is to cook everything, at least once. The second, is to drive everything at least once... front end loaders, mail trucks, a semi, backhoe, forklift, plane, helecopter... you get the idea! ;)

Mern 07-18-2011 01:33 PM

Mike, it's great that quinn and Rose had some great ideas for you. Please don't be offended that I suggested counseling. I'd been to counseling for issues I needed help sorting through, and would do it again without hesitation if I couldn't get a handle on something myself.

Quinn and Rose, you two have such good heads on your shoulders! Sounds like good advice to me. :)

Rose! How wonderful that you'll be working in England for three months and have all those convenience at hand. I'm so glad you'll be able to stick with us and keep us informed. Whoa, you did a fantastic job today!

Joanna, I hope you'll have time to stick with us as well when you go to PA.

bojibridge 07-18-2011 02:12 PM

Rose - what fun! I'm so jealous! I spent 4 months in Ireland 6 years ago and loved it. I'm thinking of looking for a postdoc position in London when I'm done at Penn. Best of luck to you!

Mike - ugh, I totally empathize. I agree with Mern, though, that counseling can be really helpful if you find you can't get a grip before too long. Counseling was the number one thing that helped me get my diabetes under control, because I knew the root of my issues were mental/emotional, more so than anything else. I haven't been on here that long, but I know that you've been an inspiration to many people on these boards... I hope we can return the favor, and I have no doubt you'll get your head around whatever is going on right now.

Mern - thanks! Penn offered me a teaching assistantship with tuition waiver, but I applied for a fellowship with the National Science Foundation that I ended up winning, so I'll be living pretty easy for a grad student :) Career goal: get a job :) But seriously, maybe become a professor, perhaps stay a research scientist at a national lab or NASA (although they're kind of lacking financially right now :()I'm excited and a bit anxious, but I'm pretty determined to stick around on here since you all are so encouraging and inspiring!

bojibridge 07-18-2011 02:17 PM

Had a pretty good day:

1.) 1550 calories/day: Yes 1278
2.) Gym 4 times: 1
3.) Active on non-gym days: Yes
4.) At least 64 oz. of water/day: Yes

Other:
1.) Start thinking about packing: This is kind of a silly goal
2.) Open bank account in PA: Done
3.) Come up with plan for staying on track while moving

01gt4.6 07-18-2011 02:20 PM

Rose, thanks for the advice. I hope this to shall pass SOON. ;)

Quinn, I'll see if I can find one. Most things that I make from scratch don't get measured. I try to eyeball a lot. A pinch here, dash there, scoop here, etc. I learned that from my mom. :)

Oh Mern, you didn't offend me! If you ever do, I'll let ya know but I just don't see that happening.

01gt4.6 07-18-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bojibridge (Post 51287)

Other:
1.) Start thinking about packing: This is kind of a silly goal

Just take out "thinking" and you've got yourself a solid goal.

cjohnson728 07-18-2011 03:48 PM

Quick check in tonight...I have a headache and a lot on my mind. In addition to the stuff going on with the boy, I'm headed to the orthopedist, my mom had to undergo GI tests today (waiting on biopsies), and my preemie great-nephew is being admitted to the hospital for tests tomorrow and Wednesday. High school orientation is tomorrow and I'm scrapbooking baby pictures, so it's been kind of an emotional day. I really wish I could get back to work.

Mike, I totally, totally relate. I wish I could get a handle on what's eating me (no pun intended).

1. Stay under 1300 calories. Nope, but 2 unplanned restaurant meals; I'm definitely over
2. Drink 64 oz. water daily. Yes
3. 25 grams fiber daily. Yes
4. Exercise 7 times this week (3 runs). Stationary bike
5. 5 fruits and veggies daily. Yes

6. Get hair cut off!
7. Get basement closet cleaned out.
8. Get second opinion from orthodontist. Scheduled for Thursday

MAIN80 07-18-2011 04:10 PM

Hello everyone!

I am going to keep my goals short and simple for this week. Last week bombed.

Goals and Monday Report

1. Calorie deficit of 6000 853
2. Drink 3 L of water Yes
3. Stay away from the cheese Yes
4. Work on scatteredness A bit

MAIN80 07-18-2011 05:18 PM

Quinn, thank you for starting this! I love your Drink, drink, drink! goal, (although you probably mean water).

Ashlie, welcome back!

Terri, you look lovely in the pic! Looks like you had a great time! And a C is a passing grade! My best wishes with all your goals!

Mary, you will get to that new decade soon! Cheering for you!

Mern, here's to a new week! I am sure you are going to rock it again!

Joanna, Astrophysics! Wow! About the packing I get the thinking about packing goal, I sometimes review things like that in my mind, but the sooner you get to the actual packing the better. And congrats on getting your blood sugar in control.

Rubystars, Stay positive!

jjeand, yey on the bra shoppings, seems to be all bras are push up now.

Cassie, hang in there, wishing you a better day tomorrow. You can do this! You did great today considering two meals out and you got your exercise in!

Mike, you have been under a lot of stress lately. I think you are more in control than you believe, you came here and wrote about it. Also, I think you don't always have to be in perfect behaviour, its not all or nothing, you can enjoy a blast without feeling you lose control. You will get a handle over it.

Rose, yey on the move! England so exciting! You will get the hang of it and stay on track for sure!