Notices

7 Day Motivational Summertime Fun Thread starting 07/04/2011

Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, those new granola bars really do sound delicious. Your DH and the boy are lucky to have you as their personal baker!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, am I happy about a food find! I found some beans I can eat on my low carb diet. Discovered canned Eden Organic Black Soy Beans--no salt added. Kinda pricey at $1.77 per 15. oz. can, but organic is always more pricey and I'll use them for just an occasional treat. My Kroger grocery store had Eden's beans in their health food section but not the black soy. I found them online where I can also get my protein shake mix, fish oil capsules and vitamin D (vitacost.com) so got them with no shipping charge with an order totalling $50.

1/2 cup serving of the beans is 120 calories, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, zero cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 310mg potassium, 8g carbohydrates less 7g dietary fiber=1 g net carbs, 11g protein.

They taste like kidney beans. Just a little more firm than kidney beans. Longer cooking will soften them more, if desired, according to what I saw on the Internet, but DH and I enjoyed them in chili tonight just as they were except for being simmered for 5 minutes with the chili.

My quick "dump and taste chili"--no measurements and can be made in the microwave or in a skillet.

1. I added some salt substitute to taste to the beans and let stand while the meat was browning.

2. Brown ground beef or ground turkey with onion and salt or salt substitute and drain off excess grease.

3. Add the beans, diced tomatoes and/or tomato sauce, chili powder and whatever other seasonings you like in chili.

4. Simmer 5 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste.

Next I'm going to experiment with baked beans.

Last edited by Mern; 07-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, congrats on the lowering of meds due to weight loss!!! Way to go!!!

Cassie, sorry you have a summer cold.They suck!

Mike I listened to "Lump." WTF? If that gets in my head at 3am, I am gonna get on this post and "sing it." It's lump, it's lump, it's lump, it's in my head. Oh damn.

Amy, you are a great writer. First of all, your DD's GF soy cream cheese cookies sound great to me. Would love to know what's in `em. I also love how you said one of the boys who came over to sew kept you in stitches. ROTFL.

Poetstorm, how was the night out? Would love to hear what you ended up consuming.

DD's BF supposedly coming to dinner tonight. DH wants to give me a huge obvious hickey, he says to freak them out, but I think he may have ulterior motives there.... EWWWWWWWWWW, Hope, TMI!!!!

Feeling better, more or less my feisty nasty inappropriate self again. Woo hoo!!!

BTW I weigh myself every stinking day, sometimes twice a day. Yes it is a sickness. DON'T do it!!!!!!! Unless it helps. Then go `head.

I was kinda joking about DD and writing and kinda not. I just want her to be happy, financially independent, full of postive feelings about herself and the world, able to cope with problems in a constructive manner, and in a great relationship with someone who loves and respects her. Is that too much to ask? I ask you.

Last edited by canary52; 07-09-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52
...I just want her to be happy, financially independent, full of postive feelings about herself and the world, able to cope with problems in a constructive manner, and in a great relationship with someone who loves and respects her. Is that too much to ask? I ask you.
Nope, that's NOT too much to ask. And sometimes it's great to be able to vent with people who don't know your family personally. I totally understand where you're coming from--been there, done that--and thank God it got resolved eventually. Big hug to ya!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Mern, you are sweet . I wish I had a low-carb recipe for you. I'm tired of cleaning up the kitchen now. I did a chicken pot pie for dinner and that uses practically every utensil, bowl, and pan I own. I came across a recipe for a canola oil crust and since it is hard for me to get fats in my pie chart some days, I decided to try it; it came out surprisingly good! One more round tonight; the boy and I are going to make trail mix/snack mix, then I can close the kitchen down.

Hope, definitely not too much to ask, but it is probably too much to ask for there not to be bumps along the way! Keep the faith, girlfriend!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

I have been stuffed with pancakes all day... so I am hoping the final calorie count won't be too bad, I still have to go to a dinner...

StrawberryBeds, I weigh myself weekly, but record it bimonthly (so I hopefully see bigger drops). You could try to do it daily just to see how much weight fluctuates and you can determine your own pattern then, weigh less frequently.

Rubystars, congrats on meeting all your goals!

Hope, I love Eric, he has that whole bad boy thing going for him... oh... But seriously, your wishes for your daughter are not too much to ask for, and she knows this (deep down, somewhere).

Chibisub, you're welcome! the effort will pay off Hope your walk with your BF is/was nice

Almeeker, wow your days have been packed! I have never had soy sour cream... mmm.

Rose, you all take your time to come here and encourage others so I feel the need to reply, specially when I have been so lost as this week. (That, and spending crazy amounts of time in the computer like Mern said) I would love to take up running with the dog, I am scared she will jank me and I will fall though. I have tried biking with her, its fun.

Mike, you got me too! I enjoyed the lump in my head, it had been a while since I heard it Went ahead and reminisced with peaches too!

Cassie, hope you feel better, I agree about summer colds being the worst! Get out of the kitchen and get some rest.

Terri, hope you have enjoyed your day of rest. No harm in that! Congrats on the successful dr. appointment.

Mern, yey on the beans! Its great you got to enjoy them. We will eventually get that great week, we just have to keep trying
Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hope, I guess that I threw you for a loop on that one?

MAIN80, I almost forgot about peaches.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default throwing in the towel... early

Dammit I need to make SPECIFIC goals, anything else and I seem to just lose it. My main problem is once I eat something 1/2 way bad I just give up without even trying to correct then I go hog wild. I am throw in the towel too damn early instead of doing what's right.

So I'm changing my goal for Sunday
1) no more than 65g carbs (green veggies don't count)
2) at least 500 cal deficient
3) drink a gallon of water
4) at least 4 serving of veggies, and 1 serving of fruit (if I can fit the fruit in my carb limit)
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM
FitDay Member

The walk was nice today actually. We walked around the mall and found out two stores are hiring. I have a job, but has been only giving me 8 to 12 hours a week and that does not pay the bills. I have to finish filling out the one and turn it in hopefully tomorrow ^_^

I have been working on my writing for my blog and my book since I am trying to fight the boredom. I tend to eat more when I am bored x_x. Though I was being active with the cleaning today and now I wish I took a before picture, so I can take the after picture. Even though it's not done right now, you could see the big difference.

Check-in for Saturday:

My goals for this week:

1. Eat between 1300-1500 calories per day... so far... 1020 calories
2. Drink 10-12 glasses of water per day... 10 glasses
3. Go on walks 3 to 4 times this week... Yes
4. Take my multivitamins Yes
5. Increase my fiber intake... Yes
6. Take measurements... No
7. Weight myself daily and write it down... Yes

Other goals:

1. Clean the extra bedroom out... Worked on it ^_^
2. Take my bed out of storage and place it in extra bedroom... No, but bed will be in there this Sunday.
3. Empty out boxes for the bedroom... No
4. Apply for a new job... Yes!
5. Keep boyfriend on track with his diet... Yes
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 PM
FitDay Member

Default Saturday check-in

Hi Everyone!

I had a busy Saturday. I went to the spin class at the Y and because I miscalculated I was over half an hour early so I did some cross-trainer for 35 minutes, including the spin class I worked out intensely for 80 minutes today. I also made a delicious salmon dish for dinner last night. I brushed a salmon steak with toasted sesame oil and then marinated it in lemon juice, herbs and ginger. Then I grilled it on my BBQ and it was absolutely delicious! Today I am having some family over for more BBQ. I also made a pasta sauce, because of course my relatives are Italian and have to eat pasta with every meal. Anyway, I am hoping to stay within my calories today but it will be a challenge!

My goals for this week:

1. Eat between 1100-1400 calories per day. YES 1131/ YES 1232/YES 1297/YES 1365/YES 1306/YES 1106
2. Drink 10-12 glasses of water per day. DONE!/ DONE!/ DONE!/DONE!/DONE!/DONE!
3. Exercise 4 hours this week. 40 min./45 min./45 min./80 min. (total so far: 3 hour 30 min.)
4. Take my multivitamin. YES/ YES/YES/YES/YES/YES
5. Eat 30% protein or more. YES 44%/ YES 30%/YES 41%/YES 38%/YES 36%YES 37%
6. Stay away from that sugar! YES!/ RESISTED!/YES!/YES AGAIN!/OH YEAH!/SUCCESS!

Other goals:

1. Put up the solar blind in the kitchen!
2. Apply sealer to the coffee table. DID IT!
3. Get copy of key made. DONE!
4. Water the flowers. YES/YES/YES/YES (and then moments later it poured rain! )/ YES
5. Mail package.

Cassie, thanks for noticing my goals are going pretty well this week. Except for the ones in the "other" category. I have done so much around the house just not all the particular chores I mentioned in those goals. Also speaking of meeting your goals, you aren't doing too shabby yourself, Girlfriend! Talk about a perfect week so far! I hope you are feeling better btw. Summer colds are never fun.

Terri, thanks so much for the encouragement. How great is it that your scale and your doctor's scale are the same? But the more important detail here is that you have lost 40 pounds!!!! 40 pounds! You should feel very proud of yourself. I am in awe. Mega congrats to you! And lowering your dosage on your medicine is a major plus!

StawberryBeds, you are blasting through those pounds! Way to go!!!

Mern, thanks for the chili recipe! I'm going to try it soon. It sounds so yummy.

Hope, not to much to ask at all, In fact, if you ask me those are the perfect things to ask for. Your daughter is lucky to have you as a mom. Clearly you have passed on your lively spirit to her and I am sure she will make the right decisions for herself. Almost all teenagers go through this rebellion phase. I know I did and mine lasted all throughout my 20s too! Actually it's better that she gets this out of her system now rather than later.

Main80, I'll tell you my dog used to pull and meander whenever I walked him on leash but once I started running with him and attached the leash to my fuel belt, he just fell into step. It's like he instinctively knew that we were migrating as a pack. Of course I was in a park, not running through busy sidewalks or anything. Anyway if you bike with him, and he doesn't pull you down on the bike, he'll probably react the same way to running. Btw, that's really great that you bike with your dog!

Mike, I am the same way. Once I eat something halfway bad, I throw in the towel and go crazy. It's that freaking all or nothing mentality! Not to mention that for me, sugar is a major trigger. Once I have a mouthful, my whole body screams for more and more and more! I'm a sugar monster actually. That's why I try to avoid it all together. Hang in there though. You've had a less than stellar week, it happens. This doesn't change your big picture which is AMAZING!

Chibisub, before and after pictures are a great idea! Congratulations on already seeing a difference!

Last edited by mtlgirl; 07-09-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.