Notices

Determined in England

Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Nancy,

I so pleased you are finally through your Crohn's. It been a very long time for you.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. My daughter had a hysterectomy on Friday 16th Sept. She is now at home with her wonderful boyfriend and being seen by a nurse everyday for wound dressing. Unfortunately it isnt healing very well so that is causing another worry - as if there isnt enough to worry about already! We are still waiting to get a decision on whether it will be necessary to give her further treatment. They removed the lymph nodes around the tumor and only one had a very small amount of cancer in. They say there are no other tumors and they have removed everything so whether or not to have chemo or radiotherapy at all is being discussed at various meetings and we are hoping to know in the next week or so what will happen.

Take care of yourself and hope you are fit again soon.
Nita xxx
PS: btw how did the kitchen turn out?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hello Nita..so good to hear from you again!! It is wonderful to hear that your lovely daughter's surgery is behind her..those darned wounds can be a stubborn thing and I hope things begin to turn in her favor. My cancer surgeries were 12 and 13 mths ago now with a small amount of lymph node activity as well..blasted disease, but all is quiet now.

I am back to a full diet now that my Crohn's is in remission and I have lost 9 lbs this month! Life is full again with raw veggies and my favorite, celery and peanut butter. I allow myself 2 slices of bread a day but typically I only do that once a week when we have tuna melts on Wednesday night before my husband's choir practise. Right now I have a bladder infection so food isn't majorly interesting to me.

I can't believe I have to tell you that our kitchen project isn't finished Yet!! The windows should arrive this week then the backsplash and bar top will be installed and the lights will be done, sigh, this stress is dragging on and on..but it will be over with soon. Our floor is in, the room is painted and the countertops are installed and we moved home 3.5 weeks ago (the weight started coming off when we moved home).

Nita, my prayers and very best wishes for this darned wound to heal cleanly. Please treat yourself as well as you treat your daughter..you are worth it.

Blessings,

Nancy xoxo
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Nancy,

I am so pleased to hear you are so much better. I cant believe we are already into October! The last few months have just disappeared - it will be Christmas soon and my kitchen is still the same as it was last year

My daughter's wound is still not healed, but starting to close slightly. Not only has she lost her fertility at 25 years of age, she is going to have a messy unsightly scar to add insult to injury. I go to her flat during the week so her boyfriend can go to work and do a little housework while she showers and we wait for the nurse to come and change her dressing. At least she only has a couple more days of those vile injections to stop her blood clotting. I cant remember what they are called but boy are they painfull. They are supposed to go in the stomach but she has to have hers in the arm. Her arms are black and blue with the bruising. We then go for a walk around the shops and do a little shopping, the exercise is good for her and the shopping keeps her spirits up. I am doing so much rushing around, trying to keep my house up together before I go to hers and walking round town for several hours the weight should be dropping off.

It isnt! Im still at 213lbs. My feet, ankles and knees are complaining but the scales are not moving. I am not snacking as I am out and about so am going to have to have a bit of a think to work out where I am going wrong.

Hope your kitchen is finished soon and stay on the road to health.

Love Nita.xxx
PS: We have heard from my daughter's Consultant and she will have chemo and radiotherapy in the next month or so, "to be on the safe side".xxx

Last edited by njh50; 10-12-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hello njh50, I am a new member to the FitDay club. I live in Alberta Canada with my husband and mini cocker spaniel. I am in my late 50s and am struggling with weight loss. From a quick review of your posts may I suggest that your weight-loss stall is probably due to the high level of stress that you are under. Also, you may want to have your thyroid checked as well. Stress and sluggish thyroid are major factors in weight gain and inability to lose.

I wish you well and hope for a speedy and full recovery for your daughter.

Final Goal: Oct. 14, 2012........ 140 lbs
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well I have had a star day!!...I am clearing out my spare room and going thru my clothes etc in a big way, big job. I posted my food and set up a graph for projected weight loss and calorie deficit...now that my bladder infection is almost gone I really feel like the old me is coming back!

Nita, how is your daughter and that wound? I am hoping things are improving in that area

Pumpkinbelly welcome to the site, I hope you use every last bit of this place to help you achieve your goal. While it can be true that some people have medical issues that makes losing weight difficult, and I am one of them, it just means we have to work harder at it! a calorie deficit of 500 cal a day and an hour of exercise will quickly make mincemeat of that fat.

I made a Dutch oven of chicken/vegetable & barley soup yesterday, we have that before dinner with a salad then the main course is much smaller...somedays I have it for lunch as well or just to fill up on on those "hungry days". I am in Manitoba and our temps suddenly dropped 2 days ago..and with that drop came a chocolate craving - oh my goodness it was strong...so I had a mug of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows!! Hahaha it was better than baking something and eating the entire pan.

It is time for me to do some more cleaning then get myself presentable for hubby when he gets home in an hour..I look a fright! Lol. Nita, hang in there I am still praying for you.

Ciao ciao,

Nancy
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Nita,

I hope things with your precious daughter are improving a little every day, at least going in the right direction...you must be exhausted.

Our temps are balanced out at above freezing so walking is very pleasant in our little forest and around town, altho I have not been out as much as I would have liked.

So sorry this is brief but I have a lot going on right now..talk with you soon Nita!

Ciao ciao,

Nancy
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Nancy and Everyone,

Nancy, I'm so glad to hear you are feeling so much better. Its been a bad few months for you hasnt it? With the Christmas holidays looming there isnt time to be ill is there?

Welcome to the site Pumpkinbelly, I hope you find it a useful tool. Thanks for the advice, I have had my thyroid checked and it is fine. My problem is the same as everyones on here - I consume more calories than I use! This site has helped me work out that I am a "boredom eater", as a stay-at-home-mum I am in the kitchen a lot and it can get a bit lonely at home (my husband is away with work a couple of times a week). I have to work to keep myself occupied and busy - my daughter's illness has de-railed me for the timebeing - I am anticipating a new start in the New Year when she has finished her treatment and the temptation of Christmas goodies is out of the way!

Things are chugging along here at a steady pace. My daughter's radio and chemo start on the 14th November for a five week course, so hopefully it will be finished in time for Christmas. The wound is closing, s...l...o...w...l...y, and does not seem to be causing her health team much concern (can't say the same for myself!).

I had a Diabeties check up at the doctors last week and he was very pleased with my weight loss (10lb on his scales) and my blood results were spot on. My blood pressure is a little higher than normal but he said that is to be expected due to the stress I am under at the moment. I have to go back over the next three months and get it checked monthly, its not dangerously high, just a little high for me. This week I have managed to get a STINKING cold so have not been out of the house (except for the school run) and have not been able to go to my daughter's. I dont want her to get this when she is just about to start her treatment. So I am feeling very low at the moment.

Take care and happy dieting everyone,

Love Nita xxx
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nita...I am back!! I took a long walk yesterday (a bit too long for my hip joints and feet) but I did it anyhow and I am happy about it. I am going to do cardio in the house today.

I really understand the stress you are under..thank heaven the wounds is beginning to close Nita, this is just so darned stressful!! I just MADE myself get back on the good food bandwagon..sniff sniff no more wheat for my sensitive body (I cramp up and bloat and hurt with dairy & wheat). I made up a pot of lentils in chicken broth with a bit of curry for lunch, mmmmmm!

My Crohn's is all gone and so is my muscle mass from being in bed/on the bed for 13 weeks. An Olympic athlete has measurable muscle loss if kept in bed for 24 hrs so you can imagine how weak I have been?! I have a will of cast iron and when I set my mind to a task I accomplish it, like last winter when I took off 27 lbs.

Ciao ciao for now!!

Nancy
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Nancy,

I'm sooooo pleased you are getting back to normal, its been a long time for you to be ill. Do you know what triggered such a bad attack of Crohn's?

I am feeling a little better today. My cold is starting to go but I have a nasty cough which is making me out of breath, so even taking the dog for a walk is very hard work. I am wrapping up warmly, taking paracetamol and trying to take it easy. I have got to get over this quickly.

I got my winter dog walking coat out of the wardrobe yesterday and it is definately looser than when I put it away in the wardrobe in the Spring!

Hope you continue to make good progress Nancy.

Love Nita. xxx
Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi there Nita!

I was so happy to see you had posted, but saddened to hear how sick you are with this awful cough and cold...and how it is keeping from your daughter. I can feel the stress you are under. On an up note your walking the dog coat is looser..good news!! I have a walking the dog coat as well which I am hoping will fit me better this winter.

I have some good news, after 2 weeks of watching my food intake Very seriously plus doing cardio for 45 min every day, I have lost 4 lbs!!! My graph on here has taken this huge nosedive, it certainly has given me a much needed shot in the arm.

My best friend and her husband drove out here for lunch today. We exchanged birthday and Christmas gifts plus had lunch at a local hotel and did some holiday shopping. This was a busy day for me but I held up well altho I am totally exhausted. Yesterday I made a Dutch oven full of chicken vegetable soup and bought the makings for a spinach salad, for tonight, so dinner is basically just assembly. I have a thin crust ham and pineapple pizza as well..if I fill up on soup and salad I may have 1/8 of it, Yum!!lol

I was up on my feet for 6 hrs straight today with lots of good emotional stuff, but it wore me out so I won't do my cardio today, I will take today off and workout tomorrow instead. I certainly don't want to burn myself out after all this illness this summer. Nita you asked if I knew what caused my Crohn's flare up. Well firstly my Mom died, stressor number one, then I started hormone pills and that put me right over the edge. Hormones are a common stressor that can make a person have a Crohn's problem and I am one of those people, apparently. About a hundred years ago I tried the pill, within the year I was hospitalized with my first Crohn's flare up. Now I know for sure, for me, no hormones!!

Ok I am officially in need of some strong, hot tea. Oh I remember what I was going to tell you Nita...I take garlic capsules, NO smell comes out of you, anyhow I take them to prevent colds/coughs and it works like a charm. My doctor husband thinks it is hocus pocus but he is the only one with terrible head/chest colds, not me. I truly hope with all my heart this virus passes quickly, I know what it is costing you.

Light and blessings,

Nancy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.