AFTERNOON/EVENING - WEEKLY
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Best time to weigh - how often

Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Best time to weigh - how often

Hello everyone!
I began using Fitday on February 9. I have only weighed my sef twice since beginning - usually in the evening before going to bed. I have been VERY careful in documenting all food intake to monitor my calories and fat - and all of the activities each day (right down to showering, dressing and grooming!). However, I weighed myself last night and the scale said I still weighed the same as the day I began - yet 4 days into monitoring it declared I had lost a pound. Then this morning, I weighed myself in only my underclothing first thing. The scale read 5 pounds less than the first day I weighed to begin. I realize that your clothing, eating and drinking all day, etc.. can cause fluctuations in your readings on the scale. My question is - what time of day would you recommend weighing in - and how often would you feel is often enough? I do not want to obsess and weigh daily; but, I am on a time line to lose at least 30 pounds before my husbands high school reunion the first part of July. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL ON YOUR GOALS!!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

I do not know if how I do it is the best way. For me I weigh before eating in the morning. Even trying before coffee if I can get my eyes to focus. I only weigh when I feel strong enough to face NOT having lost any weight and not getting discouraged. That would be about every couple of weeks or so. Weighing every day for me is discouraging if it does not go down.

Forgot to say. Drop that time line on yourself. No matter what you weigh you will be beautiful at your husbands reunion. Plaster a great big smile of confidence on your face. Hold your shoulders back head high , instant slimming trick, and enjoy yourself. If you do loose the full 30 pounds before then that is great but please do not make that your total goal and beat yourself up for not loosing fast enough.

Maggie

Last edited by missmaggieelizabeth; 02-19-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

i should be weighing only weekly but i can't help it & weigh myself daily. i know that's not the best way to do it.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default The best way is what works for you

Just like your eating and your exercise, the way you measure progress should be individualized. Some people use the scale, others measure, others judge by how their clothes fit...it's all in what you feel comfortable with.

Yes, the scale can vary a lot...but so can the other ways. Lots of different things can affect the results.

I weighed daily in the beginning, which was cool when the weight was coming off more quickly. However, I'm now 4 pounds from goal and it's a lot slower coming off, so I weigh weekly. And I skip the week of my period and sometimes the week before, because it's just too flukey then. I do it in the AM before showering but after using the bathroom (every little bit helps!).

There is no right answer. Think about how you want to measure your progress and how often you are willing to devote your emotional energy to the scale...how much it will affect the rest of your day if a good/bad number comes up. If the answer is a lot, then weigh less often. If you can shrug off a disappointment and move on and want detailed info, weigh daily. Do whatever gives you the most peace of mind.