Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/23/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/23/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/23/11

Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mike: Thanks for the little push! I think I've worked out the major issue after a long conversation with my best friend last evening. It's a matter of, for me, "naming my horse" or getting to the root of the anxiety (usually one issue) and then fighting it off

Cassie: Haha, maybe so. One benefit of being a slug is that I got a lot of my neglected sewing done - 8 hours on Sunday, yeesh! I'm going to keep writing it down, either here or my personal journal, and talking it out when I need to. Thanks Your goals look good!

Quinn: You're very insightful! There is something that scares me about 140 - without going into too much detail, as some of the struggles I'm going through are lifelong and quite personal, it boils down to being scared of "being myself" -- the real me, without fat to hide behind (just one layer of my hiding) and I am also scared of coming into my own professionally. It's all twined together. I think I've gotten to the heart of it. I feel better today.

Main80: Thanks! I'm shocked it kept off entirely, I was expecting a bounce-back. Hopefully it's not going to catch up with me suddenly in a week or two, haha! I will keep writing until it's out of me, thanks for the cheers!

mhibidon: Dude, I love stickers! What a great attitude you have!

Mern: Aw, shucks. Thanks. The 170s will feel good, I just need to get OVER the number already, haha! I agree that I feel better when I reach my exercise goals, too. I think because overall, getting in the exercise is harder. Food becomes a habit - exercise hasn't yet for me, because I haven't scheduled it often enough. Work in progress. Your goals are lookin' good, I see all green!

Monday Report Card

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals:

1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit through a combination of eating and exercise M: -1,501 (Week Total: -1,501)
2) Do not skip exercise two days in a row M: 45 minutes HIIT
3) At least 120 oz. of water daily M: yes
4) Weekly carb average of 50% or less M: 41% (Week Average: 41%)
5) Weekly protein average of 30% or more M: 32% (Week Average: 32%)
6) Do not eat out more than twice for lunch and twice for dinner M: Lunch out (Total 1 Lunch, 0 Dinners)

Other Life Stuff

1) Research Memorial Day deals - buying our first washer/dryer this Memorial Day weekend!! M: N/A until the deals are out!!
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: No
3) Journal or talk about my anxiety. Don't self-sabotage. M: Long convo with best friend, BF
4) Read articles every day. Come up with summer research plan. M: No, but I did finish all edits to Book #2, so I kept my head in the science game all day.

I called my best friend (who is a guy! ) over my lucnch break to talk to him about my weight/work/anxiety that had somehow focused itself on my sabotaging the diet plan, or at least losing motivation to do things actively. While I'm not going to lay out all my crazy here, haha, he did help me focus my thought train and I felt much, much better after spilling my guts. Continued to talk with BF this evening, and he went to the gym with me to give me smiles and thumbs-ups throughout getting back on the horse. I only did 45 minutes as opposed to my usual hour HIIT cardio, but I felt GREAT both during and after and even hit "the zone" during my workout. Nothing could have been more motivating.

We celebrated with "brinner" (aka breakfast for dinner, one of my favorites!) so after my workout I had a nice protein-rich treat with eggs and bacon. I even had a link of BF's breakfast sausage and didn't feel guilty at all!

I'm still feeling anxious, but it's not that overpowering feeling I had over the weekend. Will get through.

~Terri
Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, that's great that you got to talk it out with your best friend and that bf was so supportive as well. My daughter is in a relationship, but her best friend is also a guy--took her bf a while to feel secure about that. Aw, come on! I wouldn't mind if you laid out your crazy stuff here--Lord knows it would make me feel slightly more sane. LOL All joking aside, you're doing great, kiddo. Keep up the good work! Oh, I love both brunch and brinner.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

*Tuesday*

Back To Discipline:
Food and Fitness

1200 calories/day 1282, 1641
Walk each day hubby is home this week (minimum 3 miles/day) 2 miles (raining), 2 miles (elder care issues today)
LOG EVERYTHING! Yep. Not pretty, but it's logged. Ditto.
Take multivitamin, flax and vitamin E daily Yes, Yes

Personal Baggage:

Don't let daughter push my buttons as she stresses during finals week Yes, Yes
Don't let hubby talk me into multiple restaurant visits while he's home Ate out tonight, but I saved my calories from throughout the day. Ate at home all day. (except for a frozen yogurt)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

Keeping my calories down while the husband is home this week is quite challenging. It was a beautiful day, so he wanted to grill out for lunch which put me over my calorie limit today. I was really active, though, so maybe it will all even out. Still waiting for my last radiology report... I'm sure it'll be fine. I just hate having something hanging over my head.

Terri,

So happy that things are working out. My best friend, ever, was a guy. If we had an awful date, we would call each other, late at night, and complain about how dreadful it was. If we had a bad day, same thing. If we needed to go somewhere and didn't have a date, we'd go together. After four years of being best friends, we made the hard decision to try to date one another, which was terrifying! After a couple weeks of dating, we became engaged and have been married ever since.

The only down side is that I know about all of the girls that he dated, in detail, because he told me about them back when we were just friends! lol
Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Terri, you're making great progress on a lot of levels.

Mike, your report looks good also; hopefully today was excellent as well.

Mern & MAIN80, hope you are well and happy today, and enjoying some payoffs of your hard work.

mhibdon, I love your enthusiasm. Hope you enjoy your stickers!

Quinn, that's a wonderful story of how you met your husband. I dated a close friend in college and it ended poorly. However, said friend bemoaned it so persistently that one of his suitemates came to introduce himself to me...and HIM I married, three years later. It all works out in the end

I've been fighting the urge to eat the house down tonight. Maybe two days of tennis has me hungry, I don't know. Yet another day of wishing I was about 5'9" and burned 1800 a day. Metabolism envy, I suppose .

1. Calorie limit of 1300/day, one day exception. 1307-close enough, 1296
2. Drink 64 oz. water daily. Yes, Yes
3. Exercise 7 times. Tennis match, Cardio tennis
4. Sleep 7 hours a night. 6.5, 7
5. Journal situation and mood and related thoughts while eating. Yes, Yes

6. Get teacher cards and gifts sent out. Yes
7. Choose end of year gift for the boy. Narrowing it down
8. Second coat doors in office. Yes
9. Family room trim done by end of weekend. Not yet
10. Smile more, bitch less . Woohoo, no bitching at all today! Little bitchy w/Mr. Impatience at the oral surgeon's office
Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Just checking in.

Health & Fitness
1) eat clean for 6 days yes, yes
2) average 20% or less in carbs for the week (Will report at the end of the week. Cheat day can't be too bad to do this!)
3) drink a gallon of water a day yes, yes
4) take daily:
vitamin yes, yes
fish oil yesx2, yesx2
glucosamine yes, yes
5) 2000 cals deficient for the week -589, -755
6) floss 7x yes, yes
7) Lifting workouts 3x yes, no
8) cardio 3x no, yes
9) log food every day yes, yes
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Wednesday report:

Calorie limit 1600 1477, 1553
Calorie deficit 800 per day 1062, 986
Carbs less fiber 25g 19.1, 25,
Track grams & % of calories from protein: 111.9 or 31%, 142.3 or 37%
Track % of calories from saturated fat 13%, 11%

Artificial sweetener limit 1 packet per day 0, 3
Sugar free candy limit 2 pieces per day 2, 0

Water 64 oz. YES YES
Exercise 30 minutes, 5 days--no lame excuses YES YES
Be sure the day's custom foods in FitDay have sat fat listed. YES YES

Quinn, wishing you a really good today with less stress. I hope those radiology reports come back soon so you can have peace of mind and put that behind you.

Mike, great job Monday and Tuesday!

Cassie, thanks for your encouragement. You had great days Monday and Tuesday, also. I have metabolism envy, too. Sure does suck that short women burn so few lifestyle calories compared to others. I had to struggle to close the kitchen last night. Forgot to log my almonds earlier in the day and when I double-checked my nutrition tracker before my evening snack I found I had room for only half a protein shake and half an ounce (half a skinny little rib) of plain celery. I had a hard time falling asleep last night due to hunger pangs but I made it through.

Cassie and Quinn, I loved reading the stories about how you and your DHs met. I was "dating" a guy who was just a friend and we both knew it would never become more that that. DH and I lived in the same small 9 unit apartment building and I had just said hello to him once when I saw him sitting outside in a lawn chair and noticed he had the most gorgeous eyes. One day I was carrying two heavy bags of groceries and he saw me and offered to help me carry the groceries up to my apartment. He said, "I know it's short notice, but are you doing anything tonight?" I accepted without hesitating. I never dated anyone else after my first date with DH. We married two years later.

Oh, this is fun. I want to hear how the rest of you met your spouses or mates.

Last edited by Mern; 05-25-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Mern.

You're having a wonderful week achieving your goals!

Why is it that women always notice a man's eyes and yet I've never heard a man say, "WOW! Did you see that girl's eyes???" LOL
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mern: Haha! Actually, I have TWO best friends (childhood best friend and college best friend) and both are male - I've always had more guy friends than girlfriends I think BF handles it pretty well - it helps that both of my best friends are in relationships (one long-term, 8 years, and the other is engaged) so I'm sure he feels less threatened. At first I know he had a hard time knowing that I had other men in my life who were closer to me than him, when we first started dating, but hopefully I've made it clear to him that he is the SPECIAL guy in my life. Work in progress, always!

As for laying out my crazy - oh man, I'd need a couch to start to relate my issues about being myself, expressing my opinion, and how I feel about my own point of view!!! I don't take my own side most of the time, and I've spent much of my life not being myself but rather being who others want me to be, and I am just now coming to grips with who I actually am (trust me, for a long time there I didn't even know, and I'm still learning it in a really fundamental sense) It was due to childhood, relationships, you name it. Also work in progress!!

quinn: I love that story about your DH!! I think most everyone thought that my childhood best friend - who I've known since I was 3 - and I would eventually get together. He's my soulmate in a lot of ways. I sort of believe in heartmates vs. soulmates (maybe one person can be both!). Childhood best friend understands me in a way that no one, not even BF, probably will, but we've never been attracted to each other romantically. It's way more like siblings, or having a twin that can read my mind (we were also born only 9 days apart. I'm older! lol). We just happen to be a guy and a girl.

BF, on the other hand, is a heartmate whom I love like I never expected to love another person. That's an emotional completion with a different sort of understanding.

Mike: Your reports look awesome!!

As for how I met BF -- that is a long and winding road, but we met by chance at a mall in North Carolina. BF is about as bold as brass tacks, but I was living in NY at the time (I think this was...December of 2003). I flirted, but thought nothing of it (actually, I remember thinking at the time that he was REALLY funny, which he is, but I wasn't amazingly attracted to him off the bat). I did give him my e-mail address for grins. Well, he e-mailed, I e-mailed back, then he called. And then it was about 2 years of a long-distance something that was more than friendship and less than a relationship. We talked on the phone just about every night. I dated casually during that time, at least at first, but by the end of it I felt something and didn't know what to do with it, and I wasn't in an emotional place to date other people because I wanted someone 1,000 miles away -- and that felt okay. I met up with him again in 2005 when he came to NY to visit a friend of his who was working in NYC on a movie. Sparks flew. He went back to NC for awhile, we talked more seriously on the phone about, basically, "What do we do with each other?"

Eventually he moved to NYC to live with said movie-working-friend and I, living about an hour and a half away at the time, drove out most weekends to see him (he didn't have a car, and it was cheaper for me to drive than for him to take the train). We got serious quickly, and he moved in with me abouuuut a month later, I think. Maybe a month and a half. He told me later that he mostly moved to NYC for the chance to be closer to me and hoped to have a real shot at being with me. In a way it's very romantic, even if it's a little off-beat and took us a long while to actually be together We've had some serious ups and downs, but we've been living together since January of '06 and I wouldn't trade a moment of it!

Tuesday Report Card

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit through a combination of eating and exercise M: -1,501 T: -359 (Week Total: -1,860)
2) Do not skip exercise two days in a row M: 45 minutes HIIT T: Day off
3) At least 120 oz. of water daily M: yes N: no
4) Weekly carb average of 50% or less M: 41% T: 46% (Week Average: 43.5%)
5) Weekly protein average of 30% or more M: 32% T: 21% (Week Average: 26.5%)
6) Do not eat out more than twice for lunch and twice for dinner M: Lunch out T: Lunch AND dinner out (Total 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner)

Other Life Stuff
1) Research Memorial Day deals - buying our first washer/dryer this Memorial Day weekend!! M: N/A until the deals are out!! T: Narrowed down to likely candidates
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: No T: yes, and got compliments all day
3) Journal or talk about my anxiety. Don't self-sabotage. M: Long convo with best friend, BF T: More talking with BF
4) Read articles every day. Come up with summer research plan. M: No, but I did finish all edits to Book #2, so I kept my head in the science game all day. T: No

Unexpected day of eating out yesterday!!! I was expecting lunch out (lab birthday, we had mexican) but NOT dinner, and I was definitely high on saturated fats yesterday. Ugh. I tried, but when you're taken out to Steak and Shake by a grad student wanting to express gratitude for helping her on a project, your options are limited . I'm proud of myself for avoiding fries AND a shake (got a side salad), though I did have a grilled chicken sandwich and I ate the bun. Two out of three ain't bad, right? I'm sure I got a sodium triple-load, so not weighing myself until Friday is definitely the plan for the rest of the week. I think I'll just count it as a cheat day and moooooove on!

Happy Wednesday everyone!

~Terri
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, Thanks for the encouragement, you are doing so well! I also lack the self discipline, I really need exercising to become a habit.

Terri, I don't think they will come back in weeks to come. Glad you are working around the anxiety.

Quinn, you are a great story teller! I did not see the marrying the best friend coming!

Cassie, thanks for your words!

All your stories are so nice! Gave a huge smile on my face. I have no story to tell you (yet) so I owe you that.

Yesterday was a travelling day and my goals took a hit for it.

Tuesday

1- Maintain a 1250 weekly average. 1044
2- Drink 3 L of water a day. Yes, No
3- Exercise 5 times during the week. Yes, No
4- Organize photos. No, No
5- Start and finish the report. Started, still at started,
6- Keep a clean Inbox. Sort of, decent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.